All-Star Anybody Have "inappropriate" Lyrics In Your Music?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One of my moms all time favorite songs is Tom Pettys Last Dance with Mary Jane. She has listened to it my whole life. The shock on her face when my brother and I grew up and told her it was about drugs was priceless.
LOL! Didn't the name 'Mary Jane' give her any hints.

With that said, DANCE is is worse at times in this department.

See also: Some urban school dance lines that perform with the band (ex: Bring It/HBCU dance lines.)

I went to a local high school game at which a dance line dropped it down low and open squatted on the sideline to Chris Brown.

It was practically the high school sanctioned Twerk Team.

Nope!

My senior year of HS we got our routine before the music, and we couldn't come up with a dance song. Our choreographer wanted us to dance with something fast paced, so we used Freek-a-Leek by Petey Pablo...Our choreographer thought it was genius and the next thing I knew it was in our music......

And I loved this team so whenever I'm out and it plays I get emotional...

My senior year of HS we got our routine before the music, and we couldn't come up with a dance song. Our choreographer wanted us to dance with something fast paced, so we used Freek-a-Leek by Petey Pablo...Our choreographer thought it was genius and the next thing I knew it was in our music......

And I loved this team so whenever I'm out and it plays I get emotional...
I'm chuckling at the thought of a nasty song making you emotional LOL. Great that things worked out!

my thing is, if you're not going to use a whole song in you cheer music, then one part should be fine as long as it's not vulgar. i've heard plenty of mixes with songs that shouldn't have been in there, but I didn't think it was that bad because the bad parts of the song weren't mentioned.
"I'm about supply and demand, I'm 'bout to serve the feigns" this could be taken as bad, but it's all about how you think of it. in Orange's case it was about to serve LRGSR (as they did, slayed my whole life)
"I'm a cookie monster" now.... who knows how to go about that, i feel as though this song should DEFINITELY NOT be in a cheer mix because it relates to.... never mind. but yeah it's literally saying "cookie cookie cookie, i'm a cookie monster". if you don't think of it in a bad way, it wouldn't seem bad. i'm pretty sure most people who haven't heard that song before would think "hahaha cookie monster" as in the dude from Sesame Street... or that they're hungry for globes, etc. but shoot i know when i first heard the chorus to that song i was confused until they got to the verse lmao.
but yeah i can see why "vodka" wouldn't be allowed in a mix, same with Britney Spears' "1, 2, 3", but like the panthers did a voice over to the chorus of that song, saying "panthers are gonna take another year" blasé blasé, once again, wasn't bad because they made it relatable to the actual team.
i think it's all about how you go about putting a certain song into your mix, IE: Which part, which words, etc.

I saw a youth 1 team with this song in their music at BATB this past weekend. When my oldest was in rec cheer as a first grader, they tried to give them a dance routine to that song. They were confused when I wouldn't allow my daughter to dance to that song. Then I slowly sang the lyrics to them.

Had to look up the lyrics, too. Um, just no.

My youth 1 team danced to "poppin bottles" by the Pussycat Dolls or some such group this year. I thought it was cute bc their team name was Dolls. It was pointed out to me by a young adult a few days ago (too late to change it for these little munchkins to deal) that this was not exactly an appropriate song for them to dance to. I still can't understand what they are saying besides "popping bottles" so I'm not freaking out about it. But yea I'll be screening their song selections a little more closely from now on. I always thought it was my older teams I had to watch carefully!

Back