All-Star Are The All-star Prep Levels Being Continued This Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We didn't have any prep divisions last year - but looking at it this year. I think as a small gym it's hard to try to do half year without some of your less committed athletes wanting to only do those teams. It then takes a revenue hit from the full year athlete. I like how Prep is so different from All Star. The rules really make it different from all-star across the board, which helps sell all-star versus prep and be able to offer both.

The rules really make it different from all-star across the board, which helps sell all-star versus prep and be able to offer both.
Other than the shorter routines and no tosses, I don't see any really differences between the two. Am I missing something?

Right. I was asking about the rules that you say that made the two so different. I really wasn't aware of any other than what I mentioned. Just wondering if I was missing anything.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
I Oh no, that's about it. I think the 2 minute routine makes it in and of itself harder. But this is how gym owners can now make the prep program different from the all-star program. If you do it correctly, it's a great feeder to your all-star program.

I haven't seen too many gyms announce that they are having an All Star Prep level team for the 13-14 season, so I was just wondering whether the divisions were even offered any more?

I think the reason you're not seeing it announced is because these are half year teams that start in fall/winter. So gyms couldn't possibly know what kind of prep teams they'll have yet. It depends on the skills they get

We didn't have any prep divisions last year - but looking at it this year. I think as a small gym it's hard to try to do half year without some of your less committed athletes wanting to only do those teams. It then takes a revenue hit from the full year athlete. I like how Prep is so different from All Star. The rules really make it different from all-star across the board, which helps sell all-star versus prep and be able to offer both.

Cp began on half year and now does All Star. Talking to the parents these are the top reasons I have heard why they love the half year Prep:

1) We can't afford All Star with all the travel.
2) We have several kids and All Star is too much of a commitment for one child.
3) My child wants to see if they like it before committing to a full year.
4) My child cheers HS and we won't let her do both because of grades. Prep begins when HS ends so she can continue cheering.

Both All Star and Prep continue to grow at our gym. I found Prep just gives parents the ability to say "yes" when they would normally say "no".

Cp began on half year and now does All Star. Talking to the parents these are the top reasons I have heard why they love the half year Prep:

4) My child cheers HS and we won't let her do both because of grades. Prep begins when HS ends so she can continue cheering.

Both All Star and Prep continue to grow at our gym. I found Prep just gives parents the ability to say "yes" when they would normally say "no".

So it seems prep is a great thing for kids want to "try" the allstar world before they are thrown into the commitment of a full year allstar team.
And i´m sure there are kids who stay at the prep teams because of the reasons you mentioned.

I agree!! Though I once asked gym owner ask why they don't have prep teams and they said they don't want to lose the full year tuition. I have to think the few kids who may move from full year to 1/2 year or prep would be negated by those who have been afraid to commit to full year all star (or those who simply want to do other activities besides cheer because we all know it is near impossible to do anything else...be it other sports, school plays, vacations between Oct and April, etc.)

I aggree with @catladay and @5-6-7-8. If prep teams are done right, they can be a tremendous asset to your program. Last year we had 3 full year prep teams, 3 half year prep teams (HYPE) and 2 Spring season prep teams. (PSP) No crossovers from All Star to Prep or within the Prep division. Very easily half our gym was enrolled in prep program while the other half was full year All Stars.

Some of these athletes/parents love it because it allows them to participate in other activities and have more family time away from the gym. They don't want to do All Stars. They just take tumbling classes or open gym until it is time to sign up again.

Part of having a successful program IMO is coaches have to check ego at the door. You can't go at it with the mindset that you will crush your competitors, beat the spankies off your rivals, max every area of the scoresheet 2x over, etc. Remember more often than not, if that is what the athlete/parent wanted they would of signed up for the regular All Star program, even if it meant being on a way lower level team than they thought they should make. It is a fun feeder program.

The challenge is going forward is competing against All Star teams that drop to Prep Division just to win. While you may not think it happens and we know that is should not happen, we definitely saw some of it this past year.

If prep teams are done right, they can be a tremendous asset to your program.

It is a fun feeder program.

The challenge is going forward is competing against All Star teams that drop to Prep Division just to win. While you may not think it happens and we know that is should not happen, we definitely saw some of it this past year.

Agree, Agree Agree. I also think we need to define what constitutes a prep team a little better.

I agree!! Though I once asked gym owner ask why they don't have prep teams and they said they don't want to lose the full year tuition. I have to think the few kids who may move from full year to 1/2 year or prep

This season will be our gym's fourth year having prep teams and we have had exactly one kid go to prep after being on regular allstar. FWIW, our tuition for full year teams is $110, and half-year is $95, so it's not that different at our gym. The difference (for us) lies in the competition fees and uniforms.

Agree, Agree Agree. I also think we need to define what constitutes a prep team a little better.

The hard part of defining it better is enforcing it. The USASF can't monitor how much a team practices (hours per week or weeks per year) making it hard to put restrictions on.

The hard part of defining it better is enforcing it. The USASF can't monitor how much a team practices (hours per week or weeks per year) making it hard to put restrictions on.

Then why even have the division. As far as I am concerned, it's just turning into another opportunity for gyms to manipulate the system. I just sort of feel like we are getting away from the initial reason this division was started, and it has only been in existence in it's current incarnation for one season. My understanding a year ago was that it was for half year allstar teams so they didn't have to compete against full year teams, and for high-level rec teams who want to try to compete against some teams from allstar gyms. Not so teams could decide "Oh crap, look who is in our division at Nationals. Our team won't win, so let's all be glad USASF created yet another division that we have figured out how to work the rules on, move them over to that division, and we will win!

This is the USASF document on the division, that I am sure you are extremely familiar with... http://usasfrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/USASF-All-Star-Prep_4_5_13.pdf

HOW WAS ALL STAR PREP CREATED?
During the 2012-2013 Season All Star Prep was offered on a trial basis with limited restrictions, thus allowing event producers and gyms to “test” the program and begin gathering information so that we could better understand the needs for this program nationwide.
Focus groups were assembled in each of the five USASF geographical regions to discuss a possible structure moving forward. A separate focus group of event producers met to provide feedback as well. All focus group participants were asked to participate in a survey to gather quantitative data to create a proposal that was presented to the Rules Committee. After the Rules Committee discussed and finalized the structure it was presented to and approved by the USASF Board of Directors.

ALL STAR PREP
All Star Prep is an entry level product that is offered as an introduction to traditional all star cheer and is intended to help gym owners build their program, create revenue, and grow the industry as a whole. The purpose may also include providing a program that allows athletes with limited
financial resources to stay in the sport. The typical all star prep program will provide an opportunity for the incoming athlete to be introduced to and experience all star with limited commitment and exposure. The program that is created by the gym should include a shorter season, limited weekly practices, a lower financial commitment, limited travel, and a uniform that differs from their traditional all star program.Teams entering the all star prep divisions must be affiliated with a USASF member program (see
program definition). All athletes must be registered with the USASF in the Athlete ID system accessed through the member program. All Star Prep athletes will not be included in the athlete count to determine gym size (small or large). All Star Prep is NOT a division for teams that represent a school, pop warner or similar recreation-type program. All Star Prep is an all star division and only programs that have declared themselves all star (by joining the USASF as a member program) are permitted to participate in these divisions offered by member event producers.
AGE DIVISIONS, RULES & GUIDELINES
Routine time limit: Routines may not exceed 2 minutes
Crossovers: Crossovers between all star prep and traditional all star is not permitted at the same event.

This is the document that the USASF put out themselves, and now the guidelines are too hard to police??

Then why even have the division. As far as I am concerned, it's just turning into another opportunity for gyms to manipulate the system. I just sort of feel like we are getting away from the initial reason this division was started, and it has only been in existence in it's current incarnation for one season. My understanding a year ago was that it was for half year allstar teams so they didn't have to compete against full year teams, and for high-level rec teams who want to try to compete against some teams from allstar gyms. Not so teams could decide "Oh crap, look who is in our division at Nationals. Our team won't win, so let's all be glad USASF created yet another division that we have figured out how to work the rules on, move them over to that division, and we will win!

This is the USASF document on the division, that I am sure you are extremely familiar with... http://usasfrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/USASF-All-Star-Prep_4_5_13.pdf

This is the document that the USASF put out themselves, and now the guidelines are too hard to police??

Prep was created in response to requests to cut down the barriers to joining a traditional All Star team.

"The program that is created by the gym should include a shorter season, limited weekly practices, a lower financial commitment, limited travel, and a uniform that differs from their traditional all star program."

The documents says "should" when describing the teams because saying "must" or something more concrete is not enforceable. Nothing changed.

Latest posts

Back