All-Star Armpit Smell And Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

336Teal

Cheer Parent
May 7, 2012
Okay, I know this may be a gross topic but we had isues last year and I'm hoping someone can give some suggestions. CP wears Secret (sometimes Degree) every day anyway and we normally don't have any issues with BO. But it's something different after she wears a cheer uniform. It's almost like the fabric in the uniform clings to the sweat and then the uniform won't let go of the smell. I've washed every way I know possible to try to rid her uniforms of the odor but it's still there. It's faint but it's still there. And if it's a 2 day competition? Forget it! I need to handwash her top before the 2nd day in order to just be around her. She wears deodorant and like I said this isn't usually a problem except cheer uniforms.

What am I missing? Surely someone has a few tips.

A few companies make special laundry detergent for athletic fabrics. Search for "sports wash" or "sports detergent." My dad uses this on his workout clothes (pee yew!) and it gets out the stinky.

Also try using Certain Dry on her pits. 1 or two swipes a day and her armpits won't sweat at all. My dermatologist says it has an ingredient that clogs the sweat glands so that they can't release sweat. It's best if you don't use it right after a shower, so apply in the AM if she showers in the PM and PM if she showers in the AM.

A few companies make special laundry detergent for athletic fabrics. Search for "sports wash" or "sports detergent." My dad uses this on his workout clothes (pee yew!) and it gets out the stinky.

Also try using Certain Dry on her pits. 1 or two swipes a day and her armpits won't sweat at all. My dermatologist says it has an ingredient that clogs the sweat glands so that they can't release sweat. It's best if you don't use it right after a shower, so apply in the AM if she showers in the PM and PM if she showers in the AM.

I think you're supposed to apply it at night, and not right after you shave. It's aluminum I believe, the same stuff that's in anti-perspirant, but super strength.

Spray some OxiClean stain remover on it and let it soak for a bit before washing. This works good for getting the smell out of almost anything.

My CP used to have that problem w/ her comp gym leo - it would absorb her sweat and turn it to something nasty that just did not happen w/ other materials. I started to have her wear my more expensive clinical strength deodorant w/ it and it totally fixed the problem (there are Secret and Degree versions of this stuff - sold right by the other deodorants, just more expensive).

The smell would come out of the leotard material after a warm water machine wash w/ Tide when it was an issue though. I had to go against the instructions (which said cold water) but the Leo was fine.

Borax! My son's football jersey could make you pass out, even after it's washed. And since I wear his jersey at his games, I needed it not to make me head swirl. My friend used Borax on her son's and she gave me some to try. It worked! You just toss it in with the uniform, or some HE washers have a drawer you can add it to.
Maybe use less than it calls since you're probably just washing the uni and a few other items.

Last edited:
I think you're supposed to apply it at night, and not right after you shave. It's aluminum I believe, the same stuff that's in anti-perspirant, but super strength.
Yup the instructions say at night, but my dermatologist told me if I shower at night I should apply it in the AM. After you shower your pores are filled with water so the aluminum can't get in.

For Irish dance we use underarm dress shields. I buy them on the Irish dance sites, but if you need the name I can look it up.

The dresses cannot be cleaned at all, so it's imperative that sweat does not touch them. These help (and they take the dresses off the minute they are done performing). This might help you avoid having to wash in between 2 day comps.

I use certain dri- I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and when my original prescription wore off last winter (I haven't had a problem in YEARS), I bought that stuff. It's been a god send- my work uniforms used to get AWFUL. I feel like once I stopped dealing with the sweat, the bacteria under there gets under control- so when I DO sweat, it's not as gross. Also certain deodorants (depending on application) can create a weird residue that meshes with tight fabrics. No bueno.

Also recommend borax and Oxiclean- I think part of the problem was whatever fabric my work uniform was made of. It was some super tight/stretchy synthetic mess. That stuff DEFINITELY helped.

For Irish dance we use underarm dress shields. I buy them on the Irish dance sites, but if you need the name I can look it up.

The dresses cannot be cleaned at all, so it's imperative that sweat does not touch them. These help (and they take the dresses off the minute they are done performing). This might help you avoid having to wash in between 2 day comps.
And I thought all-star uniforms were hard to take care of.

And I thought all-star uniforms were hard to take care of.

Well, the good news is that the dresses require very little care as far as washing! Lol

But yes - they are a nightmare. They are supposed to be stored flat, not hanging (although we hang ours quite often because storing it flat is a pain), and cannot be wahsed/cleaned. When I see the girls wearing them around competition or (gasp) EATING in them I have anxiety :eek: They're super heavy, so carrying them around after the girls take them off sucks, but it's better than risking her messing it up. Each dress usually costs over $1,000, so I'm pretty bananas about keeping it nice.

(Side note - Idp isn't doing Irish dance this year, so this is just past experience. You've helped me get over my sadness about that a little with this reminder about what a pain it is!)

Well, the good news is that the dresses require very little care as far as washing! Lol

But yes - they are a nightmare. They are supposed to be stored flat, not hanging (although we hang ours quite often because storing it flat is a pain), and cannot be wahsed/cleaned. When I see the girls wearing them around competition or (gasp) EATING in them I have anxiety :eek: They're super heavy, so carrying them around after the girls take them off sucks, but it's better than risking her messing it up. Each dress usually costs over $1,000, so I'm pretty bananas about keeping it nice.

(Side note - Idp isn't doing Irish dance this year, so this is just past experience. You've helped me get over my sadness about that a little with this reminder about what a pain it is!)
...So THAT'S why my mother wouldn't let me try Irish Dance. That, and you know, being half Italian and barely a speck Irish..

I use "No Sweat" brand detergent on my athletic clothes and it works like a charm! i am not washing any delicate uniforms, but lots of fitted and stretchy athletic gear and it's kept them all looking and stretching like new. i prefer it because, well 1 it works, but 2 because there is a fragrance free option (and i'm allergic to almost all artificial fragrances.) they do sell it in scented versions, as well, but the de-stinking works and i don't find it needs it. i've tried a few other "sport" detergents and most seem to just ramp up their fragrances to try to mask the smell instead of combat it, and that is no bueno for me.

now i buy it in bulk on amazon. i found it once at a sporting goods store (forget which one), but haven't seen it again.

Back