All-Star Armpit Smell And Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The Varsity uniforms we've had over the years with lots of stoning have held up just fine with regular washing. I usually just toss them inside out into the washer on the hand wash cycle. CP had one uniform for three years and never lost a stone. We also had Varsity practice wear with stoning that I washed with CPs other clothes on a regular wash cycle and they didn't lose any stones until being washed and heavily worn for a year. And even then, it was only 1 stone here or there. We always hung to dry.

I would think hand washing the pit/crotch areas and air drying after each wearing would not damage a well made uniform.

Someone earlier suggested "dress shields", I highly recommend those, even if you have to tack them into the pits and crotch so they won't slip and wash them when needed. Someone, also, recommended taking it to a reputable cleaners which I agree and strongly suggest. They won't clean it but, they would be able to help you on what to stay away from. I would avoid as many chemicals as possible, not as much for the uniforms sake but, it is very possible for perspiration and chemicals in fabrics/dyes to have an adverse effect with the build up of other chemicals and you could end up with some nasty irritations or bad chemical burns.

So... any of these ideas work on shoes? I feel like my team could win the stickiest feet award! They'll wash them but the smell returns instantly. Filled in as the center prep base and about passed out from the shoe I was holding by my face! Anyone have tried and true ways that I can pass along to the parents?

Skunkies are the best things I have found for shoes. Little pouches you put in when you take them off. If it woks on dance bag stink, it will work in cheer shoes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So... any of these ideas work on shoes? I feel like my team could win the stickiest feet award! They'll wash them but the smell returns instantly. Filled in as the center prep base and about passed out from the shoe I was holding by my face! Anyone have tried and true ways that I can pass along to the parents?

nfinitys do really well in the dishwasher. I've done baking soda in them over night. It absorbs smell well, but cheer shoes are their own breed of nasty. They'll probably need something like odor eaters or a similar product that has enzymes to break down bacteria and yuckiness.

CP wears nfinity's and I regularly wash them in the washer with a Tide Pod and a vinegar rinse (just put white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser) on the delicate cycle. Then I let them air dry them. The shoes hold their shape and the smell is gone. Then I make her store them with those sneaker balls that eliminate odours. Don't store the shoes in your bag...let them breath and air out after each use.

In between washes make a solution of vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the shoes with vinegar after each use and let them air dry, and keep them in a well ventilated area until the next use. Also make sure you wear cotton socks and not a synthetic blend. Those synthetics can make shoes stink to high heaven! Anything synthetic makes fabrics stinky because they don't allow the foot to breath and the fabrics hold onto the stench.

I've learned these tricks thanks to a hubby who plays hockey and figuring out how to kill the stench from his hockey bag. All of these funky smells come from bacterial growth and if you can let things air out after wearing that helps to kill the bacteria growth that develops from sweat.

CP wears nfinity's and I regularly wash them in the washer with a Tide Pod and a vinegar rinse (just put white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser) on the delicate cycle. Then I let them air dry them. The shoes hold their shape and the smell is gone. Then I make her store them with those sneaker balls that eliminate odours. Don't store the shoes in your bag...let them breath and air out after each use.

In between washes make a solution of vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the shoes with vinegar after each use and let them air dry, and keep them in a well ventilated area until the next use. Also make sure you wear cotton socks and not a synthetic blend. Those synthetics can make shoes stink to high heaven! Anything synthetic makes fabrics stinky because they don't allow the foot to breath and the fabrics hold onto the stench.

I've learned these tricks thanks to a hubby who plays hockey and figuring out how to kill the stench from his hockey bag. All of these funky smells come from bacterial growth and if you can let things air out after wearing that helps to kill the bacteria growth that develops from sweat.

Total side note, but my BIL has one of these, and swears by it
http://rocketsportdryer.com/
Rocket Sport Dryer

My CP's new uni is white in the armpit area (as well as most of the uni) so not only do we have to figure out the odor issue (which we still haven't found a great solution to) but also possibly dealing with yellow pit stains and other dirt issues. She's always had black so that hasn't been an issue. Gyms- think of the parents lol!

My CP's new uni is white in the armpit area (as well as most of the uni) so not only do we have to figure out the odor issue (which we still haven't found a great solution to) but also possibly dealing with yellow pit stains and other dirt issues. She's always had black so that hasn't been an issue. Gyms- think of the parents lol!
Oxy clean takes the yellow out of CP's white school blouses. I make a paste from powdered oxy clean and let it sit about 5 min on the armpits. They are cotton poly blend, like a mens dress shirt though so you might want to test it on spandex first.

One thing I have heard that a lot of celebs and YouTubers do is put pads in their shirts to help absorb the extra moisture. They hold a lot, can help with any smell as well, and are pretty cheap when you think about it! Oh, and yes I do mean pads as in feminine products...

One thing I have heard that a lot of celebs and YouTubers do is put pads in their shirts to help absorb the extra moisture. They hold a lot, can help with any smell as well, and are pretty cheap when you think about it! Oh, and yes I do mean pads as in feminine products...

Think more along the lines of a pantiliner than an overnight maxipad!

Back