All-Star Best And Worst Of All Star Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 6, 2016
Hey everyone!

I'm still a little newer here at the boards, but I am loving the community and the chance for me to learn more of the behind the scenes world of cheer. I have been a fan of all star cheerleading for years and years, but in the last few months began writing a cheerleading fiction series, so Fierce Boards and has been a big help in all of my research!

Well, I am currently writing book 3, and wanted to hear from all of you what you find to be the most important things people don't know about all star cheer, things you wish got more attention, or even those "dark secrets" that people don't often like to talk about. I will be focusing on the good things about cheer, the teamwork and the fun, but when the books can have some realistic and industry accurate drama that the characters need to navigate through it makes for a better read and a real representation of the sport. Basically, I want the books to really represent the sport so athletes can feel like the book represents their life, but I also want it to inform readers who aren't into all star cheerleading.

I already plan to include a variety of things into the series like bullying, no longer being a flier, injuries, eating disorders, changing teams, changing gyms, and of course big comps like Summit and Worlds. And, fun things will be in the book like cheer camp, learning new skills, teen crushes and young love, winning comps, and other things of that nature. Sure, I have a lot to go with already, but I would love to hear from you about other things are important as well!

Don't worry, I'm not asking everyone to do my work for me here, I just want to hear what you feel to be those things everyone needs to read about and know! Thanks to documentaries, tv shows, and things like Fierce Boards I have a lot of information to build up from, as well as experience from being a "cheer aunt" and attending competitions in the Seattle area. But, the more info I have and the more I can put into the book series, the better!

Thank you all so much, and I can't wait to hear the suggestions, ideas, and even stories you have to share!
-Dana Burkey

Last edited:
I've gotten a few messages from people about things, and if you have something to share but don't want to "air ditry laundry" or give out personal info that would also be helpful. The more first hand experience I can listen to, the more authentic the books can be in the end! :)

Just a generality but owners who think they own the kids and their skills suck. Even worse is when those owners try black balling kids when the kid goes to a different program.

**j'applaudis avec mes cuisses de tonnerre**

Just a generality but owners who think they own the kids and their skills suck. Even worse is when those owners try black balling kids when the kid goes to a different program.

Thanks for that info! Have you ever seen a situation where someone was black balled for a good reason? Like, if someone is say bullying and get removed from a gym, have they been blacked balled in that situation? Thanks!

Thanks for that info! Have you ever seen a situation where someone was black balled for a good reason? Like, if someone is say bullying and get removed from a gym, have they been blacked balled in that situation? Thanks!

No, gyms can be like w****s, they'll take anyone but I have known owners to warn other programs about a kid when they are upset the athlete is leaving.

No, gyms can be like w****s, they'll take anyone but I have known owners to warn other programs about a kid when they are upset the athlete is leaving.

Interesting! Thanks for the info for sure!

Cannot recall ever hearing someone was removed from a team or a gym for bullying. Not in all-star cheer at least. I've heard of parents banned from the gym because they were uber PIAs and finally crossed a line but gyms don't usually like to kick out a kid because that means less revenue for them. I've even known of gyms to accept kids in their program - especially boys - even after being warned by the gym that kid came from about the kid.

One of my biggest pet peeves are owners who don't see loyalty as a two way street (they do what's best for their gym/teams with athlete team and position placement but get all butt hurt if a kid leaves to go to another gym because that's what's best for them). Also owners/coaches who do not say what they mean/mean what they say. Don't give a warning about attendance for example, or make a blanket statement about the skills needed to make a team,and then not follow through.

Cannot recall ever hearing someone was removed from a team or a gym for bullying. Not in all-star cheer at least. I've heard of parents banned from the gym because they were uber PIAs and finally crossed a line but gyms don't usually like to kick out a kid because that means less revenue for them. I've even known of gyms to accept kids in their program - especially boys - even after being warned by the gym that kid came from about the kid.

One of my biggest pet peeves are owners who don't see loyalty as a two way street (they do what's best for their gym/teams with athlete team and position placement but get all butt hurt if a kid leaves to go to another gym because that's what's best for them). Also owners/coaches who do not say what they mean/mean what they say. Don't give a warning about attendance for example, or make a blanket statement about the skills needed to make a team,and then not follow through.

Does your gym have a bullying policy in place of any kind? I was kind of assuming...or maybe just hoping that in the event of serious bullying kicking out an athlete before they can make other people want to leave the gym would be a good idea.

The loyalty you brought up is an interesting one for sure. I have heard a few people make comments like that as well. Might be something I need to look a little more into and possibly add the my series.

Does your gym have a bullying policy in place of any kind? I was kind of assuming...or maybe just hoping that in the event of serious bullying kicking out an athlete before they can make other people want to leave the gym would be a good idea.

The loyalty you brought up is an interesting one for sure. I have heard a few people make comments like that as well. Might be something I need to look a little more into and possibly add the my series.
Don't know about current gym (it's my daughter's first season there) but it was never an issue at any other gym she's been at. I've never encountered one athlete bullying another to any degree, let alone to the point you're talking about. But your definition of bullying and mine may be very different things.

Don't know about current gym (it's my daughter's first season there) but it was never an issue at any other gym she's been at. I've never encountered one athlete bullying another to any degree, let alone to the point you're talking about. But your definition of bullying and mine may be very different things.

Yeah, I'm planning to address some very serious bullying on one of my books. Other little drama and stuff like that had and will happen as well. But, I want to make the bullying a very central theme in one of the books, hopefully in a way that will help others learn to stand up to it and also people feeling that kind of attitude from people feel the power to get help as needed.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see bullying actually occurring. There may be some disagreements here and there but they all realize on some level they have to work together for a routine to work so you may want to rethink the bully thing

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see bullying actually occurring. There may be some disagreements here and there but they all realize on some level they have to work together for a routine to work so you may want to rethink the bully thing

I'm focusing on the cyber bullying side of things, and it's take place as a lot of other things are also going on inside the team and gym. It's all jealousy driven, and builds in a way that makes it clear that this kind of bullying is not maybe super common, but if and when it happens it needs to be shut down. Although it happens at the gym in the books, my hope is to make it also appeal to non-cheerleaders. I hope my books will help those that do not know the sport get invested in it still, and adding things like that which they can also relate to might help bridge that gap.

It does make it happy that it's not super common though! I'm sure it happens from time to time, and have seen some not so nice comments on photos or videos really blow up. But, to know it is rare, is always good to see since it means athletes are in fact working together or seeing other squads being good as reasons to push harder and not strike out at them and such.

It that makes any sense...... I feel like I might not have explained that quite as well as I wanted to! I'm distracted watching the Sounders game right now quite a bit! haha

Yeah, I'm planning to address some very serious bullying on one of my books. Other little drama and stuff like that had and will happen as well. But, I want to make the bullying a very central theme in one of the books, hopefully in a way that will help others learn to stand up to it and also people feeling that kind of attitude from people feel the power to get help as needed.
Not necessarily like relentless constant bullying but there was drama between athletes stemming from school. Our coach suspended them from practices and tumbling after a verbal fight at the gym and comments on social media. We all got a talk about leaving whatever happens outside of the gym at the door and there weren't any instances after that.

Not necessarily like relentless constant bullying but there was drama between athletes stemming from school. Our coach suspended them from practices and tumbling after a verbal fight at the gym and comments on social media. We all got a talk about leaving whatever happens outside of the gym at the door and there weren't any instances after that.

Good to know. That sounds like what I would expect in a situation like that, and I'm glad the gym did something to stop it before I got any worse!

Back