All-Star Bobble Deductions At Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 10, 2016
This year it was decided that bobbles are no longer counted as a deduction anymore but, it appears USASF has decided to count stunt bobbles as 2 points in deductions at worlds again! What is everyones opinion on them deciding to count bobbles again at worlds?

This year it was decided that bobbles are no longer counted as a deduction anymore but, it appears USASF has decided to count stunt bobbles as 2 points in deductions at worlds again! What is everyones opinion on them deciding to count bobbles again at worlds?
I might be late to the party but, where have you seen that?

Since these have "draft" written all over them, I'm not sure we should assume that they will actually be used this year. Then again, what do I know...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading over the draft scoring for level 6 co-ed and I have a question that someone here may have an answer for. In the STUNTS section:

DIFFICULTY (0-20 points)
0 pts: No skills performed.
1.0-8.0 pts: Less than a majority of the athletes perform two or less L5/L6 appropriate skills.
8.0-20.0 pts: A majority of the athletes perform two L5/L6 appropriate skills.

*If your team performs only multi base stunts the stunt score is restricted to a max of a 14.0
*If your team performs a combination multi base and single base (assisted or unassisted), your max score is not restricted.
*If your team performs only single base stunts (assisted or unassisted), your max score is not restricted.

*Assisted is defined as an additional person, other than the base, touching the stunt at any time (ie. initiation of the skill, during the transition up, settling or stabilizing skill at the top, etc.) for any period of time during the stunt, other than the dismount.

So looking at this it seems that there is no downside to having a spotter touch a stunt if there is a chance that it's going to bobble.

So just for some concrete examples:

1. The spotter 'bumps' a rewind and then assists the catch but then lets go. Is this multi-base or simply assisted?

2. An arabian dismount, where the spotter touches the stunt 1 count before the dismount begins and assists in the pop (and cradle of course).

3. The spotter goes hands-on the stunt just before the double twist cradle - but the stunt was tossed by the base without an assist.

I get that the very top of the points (19.5 - 20.0) will likely be only given to teams that perform completely unassisted stunts but from my view of things you stand to lose way more marks to bobbles/stunt falls than you do to having the spotters touch the stunts in the first place.

Am I reading this correctly?

I was reading over the draft scoring for level 6 co-ed and I have a question that someone here may have an answer for. In the STUNTS section:

DIFFICULTY (0-20 points)
0 pts: No skills performed.
1.0-8.0 pts: Less than a majority of the athletes perform two or less L5/L6 appropriate skills.
8.0-20.0 pts: A majority of the athletes perform two L5/L6 appropriate skills.

*If your team performs only multi base stunts the stunt score is restricted to a max of a 14.0
*If your team performs a combination multi base and single base (assisted or unassisted), your max score is not restricted.
*If your team performs only single base stunts (assisted or unassisted), your max score is not restricted.

*Assisted is defined as an additional person, other than the base, touching the stunt at any time (ie. initiation of the skill, during the transition up, settling or stabilizing skill at the top, etc.) for any period of time during the stunt, other than the dismount.

So looking at this it seems that there is no downside to having a spotter touch a stunt if there is a chance that it's going to bobble.

So just for some concrete examples:

1. The spotter 'bumps' a rewind and then assists the catch but then lets go. Is this multi-base or simply assisted?

2. An arabian dismount, where the spotter touches the stunt 1 count before the dismount begins and assists in the pop (and cradle of course).

3. The spotter goes hands-on the stunt just before the double twist cradle - but the stunt was tossed by the base without an assist.

I get that the very top of the points (19.5 - 20.0) will likely be only given to teams that perform completely unassisted stunts but from my view of things you stand to lose way more marks to bobbles/stunt falls than you do to having the spotters touch the stunts in the first place.

Am I reading this correctly?

So I'm not an expert on the worlds score sheet, but I have competed at worlds on a coed 6 team for the past 5 years. I can tell you that for our "elite" stunt section we've almost always had hands on and have not been maxed out at 14. We always made sure to do a coed section with as many unassisted stunts as we could.

I believe they're basically just saying you're going to get killed in stunting if you do only group stunts.

But there's also really no rubric at worlds, so if your rewind is bumped and a spotter puts his hands on to assist with a dismount (arabian or double down) you're not going to score as high as if the stunt was completely unassisted. But you'll score higher than if your stunt had an assist on it the whole time.

You definitely stand to lose more points with a bobble or drop.

I've been on (a couple of different) IOC6 teams for the past 6 years at Worlds. I've always been of the mind that keeping it in the air and dismounting cleanly and on time was worth way more than bobbling a stunt -- on the scoresheet.

We're kinda late out of the gate this year and haven't even competed yet with our bid shot in a few weeks. I practice without hands on assist from the spotter but the stunt could be a bit cleaner and hit 100% of the time if he goes hands on for a bit (stabilize just before the double down and then assist in the arabian dismount). I try to leave my ego at the door when it comes time to compete, no matter how much I like to hit skills completely unassisted.

One of these years I'm going to have to say hi Ashley, especially if you hang out at the stuntfest on the All-Star Sports football field.

I've been on (a couple of different) IOC6 teams for the past 6 years at Worlds. I've always been of the mind that keeping it in the air and dismounting cleanly and on time was worth way more than bobbling a stunt -- on the scoresheet.

We're kinda late out of the gate this year and haven't even competed yet with our bid shot in a few weeks. I practice without hands on assist from the spotter but the stunt could be a bit cleaner and hit 100% of the time if he goes hands on for a bit (stabilize just before the double down and then assist in the arabian dismount). I try to leave my ego at the door when it comes time to compete, no matter how much I like to hit skills completely unassisted.

One of these years I'm going to have to say hi Ashley, especially if you hang out at the stuntfest on the All-Star Sports football field.

I didn't know there was a stunt fest there! When is it usually? I'm staying offsite this year (assuming we get a bid, but I'm going to worlds regardless)

Totally informal, for the past few years on the Monday afternoon people just congregate on the astroturf field between the residences at All-Start Sports football. You know, the place where teams spend every daytime hour practicing from Thursday night onwards. :)

If my team ends up with a bid I'll PM you my phone # and we might have a chance to meet IRL.

Totally informal, for the past few years on the Monday afternoon people just congregate on the astroturf field between the residences at All-Start Sports football. You know, the place where teams spend every daytime hour practicing from Thursday night onwards. :)

If my team ends up with a bid I'll PM you my phone # and we might have a chance to meet IRL.

Yeah let me know! My team always practiced on the tennis court and my Monday afternoons were usually spent at Epcot - traveling around the world, if you will ;)

Latest posts

Back