All-Star Cheer Hair Ponytail Extensions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You don't need to use curlformers, you can use a regular curling iron (and use a hot one, doesn't matter!). You can also use a flat iron to curl it. The curls stay in for a whole weekend competition, then just touch up between comps!

I curled ours for the first time but it didn't stay as long as I would have liked with the curl. Any suggestions? I used the RYH for hot tools. Do you still spray the heck out of it? I don't want to have it be a matted mess.

Match it at sallys and order it online maybe??
I would stay away from Sally if at all possible. The packs come with 1/2 the hair for double the price of wig/hair supply stores. I priced them and looked for weeks before buying the right color. I got double the amount of hair at the wig store for half the price - $50 for two full hair wefts. Sally is also really limited on blonde shades for anyone with blonde CP.

I would stay away from Sally if at all possible. The packs come with 1/2 the hair for double the price of wig/hair supply stores. I priced them and looked for weeks before buying the right color. I got double the amount of hair at the wig store for half the price - $50 for two full hair wefts. Sally is also really limited on blonde shades for anyone with blonde CP.
Yeah. I meant match it there but order it online somewhere else. Sally's is way overpriced but can give you a good variety to match so you get an idea of what to order somewhere else :)

I curled ours for the first time but it didn't stay as long as I would have liked with the curl. Any suggestions? I used the RYH for hot tools. Do you still spray the heck out of it? I don't want to have it be a matted mess.
We have a Pinups Pony, and they have a lot of hairspray in them already. I did spray it the first time I did it (with Big Sexy Hair Stay &Play) but not since. The heat reactivates the hair spray when you curl it. I would definitely do it with a curling iron or a flat iron, at a high temp (400+). I just use a Hot tools 1" barrel curling iron on the hottest setting Hold each curl in for 12-15 seconds.

We just decided to start using a fake pony this year. Our gym doesn't allow posh ponies (too big), so we just have a hair extension ponytail from Ulta. My daughter has teh opposite problem of most girls. She has a TON of hair and it's thick, long and curly. Our gym wants straight ponytails and it's just far far too much effort with her hair. So, we're trying out the fake pony this year to avoid hours with the hot brush.

I can't see the picture, but at that price it has to be synthetic, and that can't be curled and doesn't tease well. We had a synthetic linty we paid about that for that we used for dance and it wouldn't do what I needed.

I can't find CP's hair color anywhere locally but Sally's. I spent hours hitting all the local stores and unless you have very dark, platinum blonde, or bleached hair with orangey undertones, they don't carry it.
We use one from our local beauty supply as well. She has black hair so that's easier. We don't wear it curled so that wasn't an issue. But it teases pretty well.

Last edited:
My DD has a PinUps pony and loves it. You can buy the hair yourself and sent it in for a perfect match. It takes less than 5 minutes to get her hair from everyday to competition ready!
How does pinup ponies go in if they don't have to be sewn? I want to get one for my daughter but I'm at a loss as to how either one goes in securely. And for the posh ponys, what does it mean to sew it into the hair?

How does pinup ponies go in if they don't have to be sewn? I want to get one for my daughter but I'm at a loss as to how either one goes in securely. And for the posh ponys, what does it mean to sew it into the hair?

Ribbons the go in under the bun with a threader. Its a LOT quicker. For posh you are whip stitching the drawstring on the pony, picking up some of the hair that is in the bun. I went pinups because I felt like there was less room for me to screw it up. You have to be sure of your knots sewing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ribbons the go in under the bun with a threader. Its a LOT quicker. For posh you are whip stitching the drawstring on the pony, picking up some of the hair that is in the bun. I went pinups because I felt like there was less room for me to screw it up. You have to be sure of your knots sewing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I'm looking for. Less room for me to screw up! Lol.

Now for which size. I've been on their site and read the descriptions but I'm not sure. My daughter is 11 and petite. Not sure if I should do 14 or 16"

Thanks, I just ordered. I know we'll have to do a couple competitions without it but I really look forward to it arriving. Practicing the teasing of big cheer hair is not going well. :/

CP is wearing the Posh this year. The bulk of our gym is. Yesterday she was in pain from that Posh, the second time wearing it, I don't know if there is a trick to not getting it so tight it hurts but I want to make sure it stays, too.

She said her teammate told her when they were warming up for showcase last night to grab the posh where it was sewed in and pull up and shake her head back and forth, that it would hurt for a minute but then it would be looser. :eek::D I would like to find the middle ground where it doesn't hurt, it stays in and she's not yanking on it when I'm not around. CP has a ton of hair. Big bun with her natural hair and we got the XL Posh. It fits fine. I'm probably too aggressive in sewing that thing in. Any tips or tricks for knowing it's in but not too tight?

Back