All-Star Cheer Perfection- New Tlc Special About Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Am I the only one looking at the gym facility itself thinking that's it? It looks like a small gym in a small town that competes at small competitions. It looks like what I call a starter gym. Nothing over L3 and when they when Grand Champions it's because everyone else probably should have just stayed home.

Not that something like should have to be at a Rays or CA or CEA but a better gym then this looks to be would have been nice.

Ok, so I looked up the team. 3 locations and they'll be competing at WSA Nationals in New Orleans and Destin. If you're gonna travel like that why not go to NCA and Cheersport Nationals.

Interesting - ok I'm done, for now

Ok, so I looked up the team. 3 locations and they'll be competing at WSA Nationals in New Orleans and Destin. If you're gonna travel like that why not go to NCA and Cheersport Nationals.

Great. Kris10boo looks like we will be seeing them in Nola.....

If Jersey Cheer didn't make it (although I think It is finally getting picked up?) then there is no way that this show will.

Am I the only one looking at the gym facility itself thinking that's it? It looks like a small gym in a small town that competes at small competitions. It looks like what I call a starter gym. Nothing over L3 and when they when Grand Champions it's because everyone else probably should have just stayed home.

Not that something like should have to be at a Rays or CA or CEA but a better gym then this looks to be would have been nice.
Funny you mention this, the EP of the Grand Championship was bragging yesterday on his facebook about his banners hanging in the background of the video... not a very reputable EP.

I think we all know the answer to that one.

12stepCheermom - I looked up their results from last year, so I know the answer too;) . The stunting and tumbling technique on the preview bothers me way more than the coach's treatment of the kids which, along with the crazy cheer moms I can somewhat chalk up to editing (although as someone else mentioned, what you see there has to exist in some capacity in order to twist and spin it into something more). The stunts and tumbling they showed had no editing, and for that to represent what allstar cheer is about is disappointing. I have no problem with focusing on a lower level team, as long as that team has the skills that meet the judging standards. TLC will get what they wanted out of this show, and we will be left to defend our sport once again.

I'm torn. I watch both Dance Moms and an occasional episode of T & T. With Dance Moms, even though I think the parents are nuts, I actually like the dancing. While I hear they are not actually great dancers, I find it fun to watch them learn their choreography and perform, and this makes me more interested and appreciative of dance in general. I also find myself really routing for some of the kids.

When I watch T&T I only think "Oh No" and get a bit frightened and generally end up feeling kind of sorry for the kids. So I can see this one going either way. I will watch though...won't be able to help myself.

I'm getting my answers ready to explain how I'm not that kind of cheer mom though....

I'd like to find out what type of impact shows like these have had on the quality of new participants that I'm sure have joined competitive dance and pageants. Maybe there are some that see these shows and want an outlet for their dramatic personalities, and maybe there are some that see the activity and really want to try it. I would think that the ones that join for drama purposes fizzle out pretty quickly when they start to realize it's not like what they see on t.v., and the ones that really enjoy it stay.
So, if the latter is the case, it might happen that way for all star cheer, and that's ok by me.

Until a reputable program steps up to do one of these shows, like Dunbar High on Cheer Nation, you will continue to get these programs that are not on the show to promote and reflect what we see as the "real" competitive cheer but instead to promote themselves and allow mom's to be absolutely crazy.

Its a catch-22 because these shows only want the crazyness which keeps the good programs away.

Until a reputable program steps up to do one of these shows, like Dunbar High on Cheer Nation, you will continue to get these programs that are not on the show to promote and reflect what we see as the "real" competitive cheer but instead to promote themselves and allow mom's to be absolutely crazy.

Its a catch-22 because these shows only want the crazyness which keeps the good programs away.
I'm sincerely hoping the Twinkles documentary will do just that, however, the TLC one will unfortunately reach a larger audience.

12stepCheermom - I looked up their results from last year, so I know the answer too;) . The stunting and tumbling technique on the preview bothers me way more than the coach's treatment of the kids which, along with the crazy cheer moms I can somewhat chalk up to editing (although as someone else mentioned, what you see there has to exist in some capacity in order to twist and spin it into something more). The stunts and tumbling they showed had no editing, and for that to represent what allstar cheer is about is disappointing. I have no problem with focusing on a lower level team, as long as that team has the skills that meet the judging standards. TLC will get what they wanted out of this show, and we will be left to defend our sport once again.
Maybe the show is being sponsored by Doritos. #runsaway

I hope no one trashes the program simply because of the events they attend. We attend those events also. Does that mean we are one of "THOSE" gyms that can't compete? Nah, just can't afford to travel based on the general economy of our members.

I also see a lot of people complain about teams going to Worlds when they have "no chance". Why do we look down on them for going but not the youth level 2 that goes to Cheersport with "no chance"? In fact it's often quite the opposite. We look down on them because they DON'T go to Cheersport or NCA. It's abhorrent no matter what you do--"Oh you're going to Worlds? Have fun in 26th place." and on the flip side "You're not going to NCA? Your gym must really suck.".

The coach, Alisha I think is her name, was not my cup of tea and I wouldn't hire her to coach my Tinys, but I won't bash her program simply based on her event schedule. We just can't assume to always know what's going on in each others gyms. Hotel prices and gas prices are a lot cheaper in Arkansas and Louisiana than it is in Orlando, Dallas and Atlanta.

Food for thought.

Back