All-Star Crazy Cheer Parent Stories--spill 'em!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Past cheer moms wore sequin shorts and furry boots in our colors to comps. We have one now who wears a tutu........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's festive! I took the advice of a Veteran and don't wear gym colors...at our second comp of the season I had a person come up to me, from a different gym, to tell me when/where pictures were after awards. I just smiled and nodded.

Craziest one I've witnessed happened at a fairly small comp a couple of years ago. I see this coach talking loudly with a judge pointing to her iPad (should have been my first clue) and the computer screen. She was obviously fighting something. I heard the judge say "ma'am you need to leave right now" when another person wearing the same gym shirt comes up and drags the woman away, apologizing profusely. Yep, wasn't a coach but a mom:eek:

Most of my moms (high school) are really relaxed this year, surprisingly.

Three seasons ago, a lady went to my superintendent over tryout results. Daughter was a junior and had been on JV for two years. Tries out for Varsity and doesn't make it. Refuses to be on JV again because "juniors shouldn't be on JV." (despite having JV level tumbling.)

Parent requests superintendent meeting (we are a smaller district so it is not uncommon for him to meet with parents if they're dealing with a serious dispute.) He listens to her but politely tells her that cheerleading needs to be handled with the AD and coaches. She never contacted either of us about it. Kid ended up not cheering. No real drama.

Funny thing about this is that we regularly have juniors on JV so I'm not sure where she got the "juniors shouldn't be on JV" part from.

One time the parents on my high school team claimed that seniors (i.e., me) deciding what we wear to school on game days was wrong because "they shouldn't be able to make decisions that are DETRIMENTAL to their teammates". This was after throwing a fit that we weren't wearing uniforms to school every week. Because seniors shouldn't be able to make the decisions, the parents should, apparently.
It was the ONLY privilege that seniors got to have. We didn't get to be in the front, we didn't have captains, THEY WOULDNT EVEN BUY US SENIOR GIFTS. We made our own senior night posters and senior parents bought us senior gifts. But god forbid we say "wear this tshirt to school."

My weekly tumbling class is all girls from my high school team. We have a couple of girls on the team who have a mental block on their standing back handspring that came to tumbling in hopes of getting over that block. Well, one night this one particular girl was in tears over the fact that she couldn't get herself to throw it and a mom of ANOTHER GIRL came onto the floor and chewed out the tumbling coach for being hard on her and offered to spot the girl herself. Needless to say they're no longer welcome at that gym.

I had a parent come up to me while the kids stretched (was the first practice for her daughter) telling me why the stretch they are doing right now is bad for the hips and wanting to go on about the rest of the stretches. Needless to say I was glad that I never saw that mom again (although her daughter was really sweet).

I'm not opposed to listening to (safety) concerns of parents, but that was definitely not an appropriate time and place for that.

I cut a kid once from my HS team. She was technically the best athlete, could tumble, etc., but her attitude and somethings she did behind my back finally added up to enough. She called a meeting with the Principal (I wasn't a teacher at this school, just supply taught a lot) and the teacher advisor and laid out how unfair it was. Principal looked at me, and I pulled out my binder, where I had kept track of everything she had done ever the year, copies of e-mails that had been sent, attendance reports, etc. Athlete's eyes got pretty wide at that point. Mom zipped it, walked her daughter out and we never heard from them again. Principal thanked me for being so on that ball that he didn't even need to try and defend our choice. Cover your butts coaches.

One time the parents on my high school team claimed that seniors (i.e., me) deciding what we wear to school on game days was wrong because "they shouldn't be able to make decisions that are DETRIMENTAL to their teammates". This was after throwing a fit that we weren't wearing uniforms to school every week. Because seniors shouldn't be able to make the decisions, the parents should, apparently.
It was the ONLY privilege that seniors got to have. We didn't get to be in the front, we didn't have captains, THEY WOULDNT EVEN BUY US SENIOR GIFTS. We made our own senior night posters and senior parents bought us senior gifts. But god forbid we say "wear this tshirt to school."

I'll admit that my mother (and me) were pretty irritated last year when our cheer captains forced me to wear my cheer uniform to school in the 20 degree weather and threatened to make me sit out at games (a power they didn't really have) if I tried to put the team sweatpants on.

Craziest one I've witnessed happened at a fairly small comp a couple of years ago. I see this coach talking loudly with a judge pointing to her iPad (should have been my first clue) and the computer screen. She was obviously fighting something. I heard the judge say "ma'am you need to leave right now" when another person wearing the same gym shirt comes up and drags the woman away, apologizing profusely. Yep, wasn't a coach but a mom:eek:
Reminds me of that scene from Bring It On, at regionals.

I'll admit that my mother (and me) were pretty irritated last year when our cheer captains forced me to wear my cheer uniform to school in the 20 degree weather and threatened to make me sit out at games (a power they didn't really have) if I tried to put the team sweatpants on.

Who is letting cheerleaders make these types of decisions? It perplexes me greatly when I hear people saying that the cheerleaders are telling other cheerleaders what to wear, where to stand, etc (captain or not.) Is this typical for captains?

Full-disclosure: I have not had captains in quite some time, and even when I did, they certainly did not have the authority to bench anyone.

Who is letting cheerleaders make these types of decisions? It perplexes me greatly when I hear people saying that the cheerleaders are telling other cheerleaders what to wear, where to stand, etc (captain or not.) Is this typical for captains?

Full-disclosure: I have not had captains in quite some time, and even when I did, they certainly did not have the authority to bench anyone.
I know for me last year our coaches were pretty much nonexistent so the captains got decide which stunts we tried, they decided which cheers we said at games, got the final say on our t-shirt design, and of course they got to decide what we wore on games days. I didn't really notice how much power they had until days when they made everyone wear their cheer uniforms in the middle of winter because they wanted to look cute or at games when it was basically freezing but they wouldn't let us put our jackets on because it would look "tacky"

Back