All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Since it seems as EP's and gyms are taking steps to calm this down I have a question. Do you think that a crazed fan, crossing the lines were kicked OUT of the competition that things would change? I 100% DO think this would help. I am saddened to see kids get praise for one reason or another and as BlueCat has pointed out it's not always the most talented. My opinion is that some kids have that "it" factor that draws attention. Should this be turned away? NO, heck no. I understand that up until this dangerous issue gyms have tolerated the attention. I don't think it is negative for a gym to have an individual highlighted.

If I were a parent I feel that I have the right to do whatever I want with my kid. You can have a commercial or drive a truck around with my kids face on it for all I care. But NO ONE has the right to put a kid in danger. Claim that gyms, parents or kids are asking for it all you want but the issue is the "crazed fan". I've read all these things about everyone taking self imposed action. WHAT ABOUT THE CRAZED FAN!? They will still be there, they will still be crazy and there is nothing the "non-cheerlebrity" gym can do about it. What is going to be done when all these things are done by these gyms and kids still stalk? Follow into bathrooms, corner for pics etc.? NOTHING. So NOTHING will change until the "crazed fan" is KICKED OUT! KICK THEM OUT OF THE VENUE! That will not curve but it will eliminate the issue.

I think sometimes situations have unknown unknowns and you have to make better decisions once you have more information. I think everyone is smarter now and if this wasn't a problem we wouldn't be talking about it like this. It obviously is an issue.

And while everyone is responsible for their past actions, they are also responsible for making smarter decisions for the future. Never let past mistakes dictate that you cannot make better decisions for the future.

yojaehs I know people have been pointing fingers, however, I try to take the blame and emotion out of the situation and look for the person/group that can make the biggest difference. I agree, the fans are out of control, many of the hallways are narrow and it is inevitable someone is going to get hurt. More security? There is a huge cost factor that will just be passed down in competition fees and entry fees for the venue that, ultimately, could put an increased strain on gyms/parents and force them to compete less. This is a pledge, I see no reason for gyms to turn against one another, take it or leave it.
For the record, I commend the gyms taking the pledge. I support it 100%! I have no issue with the pledge bc I feel gyms should be able to conduct themselves the way they choose to. My point is, what happens when the pledge is taken and the fan still acts like a fan? My personal opinion is the all the pressure can be taken off of the gym, EP, parent and kid if ONE crazed fan were to be KICKED OUT OF THE VENUE. The problem is NOT the magazines, shows, gyms, parents or kids, the problem is the crazed fan and no boundaries established.

Here is my problem with this...the cheerlebrity craze is fed by the soem athletes/parents who want the notoriety for whatever reason...so now we have a safety issue for athletes...some who did and some who didnt "create the problem" WHO should foot the bill for this extra security? This doesnt come without a price and I am know that actors, musicians and even some politicians all have to pay for the extra security that often accompanies an event they go to

I totally get where you're coming from. Let me clarify that I was talking less about the kind of security you see for actual celebrities (personal bodyguards, private rooms, etc.) and more about general measures that can be taken to increase safety, such as EP's having rules about when and where athletes may be approached for autographs or pictures and having security guards in public areas at large national/international competitions to disperse crowds that begin to form around these teams and athletes.

ETA: I get that this still requires someone to foot the bill. In my mind I see EP's paying for this security as it plays a part in the security and organization of the event they are hosting.

*** The nerd in me wants to point out that the saying should be more like "hindsight is 20/1."

I used to have 20/15 vision.. but I think age has made me more 20/20

For the record, I commend the gyms taking the pledge. I support it 100%! I have no issue with the pledge bc I feel gyms should be able to conduct themselves the way they choose to. My point is, what happens when the pledge is taken and the fan still acts like a fan? My personal opinion is the all the pressure can be taken off of the gym, EP, parent and kid if ONE crazed fan were to be KICKED OUT OF THE VENUE. The problem is NOT the magazines, shows, gyms, parents or kids, the problem is the crazed fan and no boundaries established.

Although the pledge will not have a direct action consequence to the fan, it will slowly get rid of the problem as a whole and it will go away.

I think sometimes situations have unknown unknowns and you have to make better decisions once you have more information. I think everyone is smarter now and if this wasn't a problem we wouldn't be talking about it like this. It obviously is an issue.

And while everyone is responsible for their past actions, they are also responsible for making smarter decisions for the future. Never let past mistakes dictate that you cannot make better decisions for the future.

Well true. But the baby and bathwater comes to mind. And there appears to be a herd mentality occuring right now instead of thoughful response to the problem at hand. The gym side is fine if voluntary, it won't help much but so be it. Is there going to be a code of behavior for the fans at the competitions?

Personally, I rarely pay attention to the home page, I go straight to the Forums. But today I actually looked at the articles there and found it rather ironic that the top two articles from "inside Cheerleading" were "Who will be the next iC Cover Girl" and the second was "25 fun facts about ..........." (a WC cheerleader) and when I go to that article up in the corner of the site is a pic of the cover of iC magazine with the picture of a young man who has been talked about quite a bit on here. I realize how flattering it is to be asked to be on the cover of a magazine, but it is feeding the beast.
The "Cheerlebrity Free Zone Agreement" looks to me to be an outstanding step in the right direction. Emphasize the team, not the individual and control when individual athletes can appear in their uniform outside of competitions. Just my opinion.

Well true. But the baby and bathwater comes to mind. And there appears to be a herd mentality occuring right now instead of thoughful response to the problem at hand. The gym side is fine if voluntary, it won't help much but so be it. Is there going to be a code of behavior for the fans at the competitions?

Are we saying we need to arm the athletes to protect themselves form the fans?

I think that this sort of thing is fine as a voluntary pledge by whomever wants to join in. I will say that I have noticed over the last year you personally have been much more involved in message boards, social media and promotion of you gym. I think in a competitive market like Dallas that is smart business and a proactive way to approach things. In some ways I think I see you shedding crockidile tears, or let us say playing both sides of the street on this issue. I think you fanned the flames of fame a bit to hard and it got to be a bit more than you were expecting. Maybe just say I may have made a bit of a mistake and trying to adjust. I think there is room for athletes that are both team orineted and recognizable instead of the only other choice being team or "primarily seek individual glory".

I said in a post about 10 up from this that we have made mistakes in the past, but I'll say it again: I make mistakes all of the time. Our gym makes mistakes all of the time. Maybe it wasn't as clear as it should have been. I personally have made many, many mistakes in the past and am always trying to adjust.

I absolutely shamelessly promote our teams and our program through social media - particularly this message board and twitter. I'm sure that I am annoying to some and others probably feel more strongly. There are more than a few reasons for someone to dislike me. I get that. I don't think, however, that I have changed my stance on the individual athlete vs team concept.

Agree that the fans are the biggest problem. However, I disagree that gyms putting restrictions on their athletes won't help much. Not allowing the individual athletes to appear outside of competitions in uniform, be it in magazine articles or individual promotions or whatever would cut down on some of the "appeal". I realize some have questioned the "big brother" aspect of this, but again, we are not talking about adults, we are talking (in most cases) about minors - both the "cheerlebrities" and their fans. And has already been stated, but is fundamental to the safety aspect is that nowhere else are "celebrities" as accessible to their "fans" as these athletes are at competitions. Anything that might help stem the tide is worth trying.

Although the pledge will not have a direct action consequence to the fan, it will slowly get rid of the problem as a whole and it will go away.

But is every aspect of the cheerlebrity phenomenon a problem? Is a general anti-cheerlebrity pledge the solution? Certainly many of the safety issues mentioned in this thread are problems, but what about the fact that these well-known athletes often play a positive role in the growth of All-Star cheerleading?

I just think this pledge seems too extreme and I don't think the situation is as black and white as it's often made out to be. More thought needs to go into where the real problems lie and how we can best solve them without generally denouncing individual recognition of any sort.

Back