All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm assuming by "you" you mean that generally. I'm not flipping out. And I don't necessarily disagree. There is a lot of flipping out going on, and the random screaming flipping out is exactly what you say. But I think there's at least been some intelligent reasonable conversation about why we don't like the show going on here. I think that kind is a bit different.

I definitely meant it generally, should have specified!
And yeah, that's what I was saying - there's a handful of people here that are very reasonable. What bothers me is that people are looking into this show far too much, saying it will ruin cheerleading. But I'm sure we're the only group of people sitting around having a discussion about this show, especially to this length and level. And I would bet that this is where most of the bashing can be found...

After reading the coaches twitter, I see that they're competing this weekend. Do a lot of teams compete in the summer?! my team has had Choreo for about two weeks, but we wouldn't be ready to compete.. blows my mind that they're already competing!

After reading the coaches twitter, I see that they're competing this weekend. Do a lot of teams compete in the summer?! my team has had Choreo for about two weeks, but we wouldn't be ready to compete.. blows my mind that they're already competing!
It's not a true competition really. More of a summer camp, play on the beach, throw a quick routine together kind of thing.

Someone commented on that earlier in the thread. It's not really a competition, it's more like a camp or something.

I believe this woman was on "Trading Spouses" or wife swap at one time as well
Wife Swap, too? So Todds & Tiaras was her second 15 minutes of fame? Why, oh why does TLC need to give this woman a show when she's already been featured on TWO other programs? She didn't get famous from the first two shows, obviously she's so fame hungry that she needs a third. :deadhorse:

Someone commented on that earlier in the thread. It's not really a competition, it's more like a camp or something.

I competed at ASC in South Padre about 12 years ago. It was an actual competition then. This was back in the days before all star had a typical "season". Our team then went to about 2 or 3 competitions a year and we never went with the same team each time.

You hear so many things about these shows such as, tons of editing to make scenes appear more dramatic, planned parties or dinners to stir the pot but if the coaches and kids are being told what to do or say, then TLC why don't you come up with a scripted show and hire actors since you want to tell a story.

We were approched 2 years ago to do a show for Discovery channel with California all stars for our Mini teams and they really wanted drama and parents who force their kids to do cheer. When they started doing their background homework and a little taping they soon changed the way the looked at cheer and told us it was nothing like they thought and wanted to change the script. They made it more like a documentary leading up to a competition (real life cheer behind the sceans) , but definately wanted it to be scripted. It never was fimed or aired due to the fact we had minors and everyone on set (background) had to be paid. In California there are strict labor laws due to the entertainment industry. Me being a mom who coached their child and a previous coach from the opposing gym to them made good drama, but there wasnt any and tryed to get me to be so competitive with the other program and really push my child. This was not me and I told them this wasnt anything like we have here. Cheer Perfection is for TV and Im sure all of your questions regarding "YOUTH SILVER" are for TV purposes along with having the parents on the floor coaching. I watched and wondered also and thought to myself all of us in this cheer world would know it was scripted from a girl doing a whip full tryng to be on a Y2 team. I dont think any gym in their right mind would ever have parents coaching on the floor if they were smart business owners. They probabaly even srcipted the tryout results, because once again no owner wants to be in the room with theses kids and parents finding out their team unless they enjoy the stress.

I just found out 2 horrifying things. 1) CTR has a level 6 team.. No words to explain how scary that is. 2) Alisha just posted on Facebook that cheer perfection had 1.1 million views for the first episode. I think that's enough to secure her time spot. :/

That doesn't seem that high. A lot of TLC shows have done over 2 million viewers in the past, and this was a weekday show in prime-time. I wouldn't think it's a lock to get picked up, but it's certainly possible.

We were approched 2 years ago to do a show for Discovery channel with California all stars for our Mini teams and they really wanted drama and parents who force their kids to do cheer. When they started doing their background homework and a little taping they soon changed the way the looked at cheer and told us it was nothing like they thought and wanted to change the script. They made it more like a documentary leading up to a competition (real life cheer behind the sceans) , but definately wanted it to be scripted. It never was fimed or aired due to the fact we had minors and everyone on set (background) had to be paid. In California there are strict labor laws due to the entertainment industry. Me being a mom who coached their child and a previous coach from the opposing gym to them made good drama, but there wasnt any and tryed to get me to be so competitive with the other program and really push my child. This was not me and I told them this wasnt anything like we have here. Cheer Perfection is for TV and Im sure all of your questions regarding "YOUTH SILVER" are for TV purposes along with having the parents on the floor coaching. I watched and wondered also and thought to myself all of us in this cheer world would know it was scripted from a girl doing a whip full tryng to be on a Y2 team. I dont think any gym in their right mind would ever have parents coaching on the floor if they were smart business owners. They probabaly even srcipted the tryout results, because once again no owner wants to be in the room with theses kids and parents finding out their team unless they enjoy the stress.

Discovery is the parent company of TLC. Maybe they decided to "try again" so to speak with a team that was more willing to oblige to their requests.

That doesn't seem that high. A lot of TLC shows have done over 2 million viewers in the past, and this was a weekday show in prime-time. I wouldn't think it's a lock to get picked up, but it's certainly possible.

Actually, I did some research, and last week the primetime average for TLC shows was 962,000 viewers. So doing 1.1 million is a good thing. To drill further - Toddler & Tiaras, which I believe was Cheer Perfection's lead-in, did 1.3 million viewers. So the show held a pretty good chunk of its lead-in's audience, which is a good sign.

Ratings - Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "ESPY Awards" Top Demos, "Royal Pains" Leads Viewers | TheFutonCritic.com

Not casting judgement on the show (I haven't watched the whole thing start-to-finish, just bits and pieces), but it seems like a closer look at the numbers indicates the show did well - by TLC standards - in its timeslot.

This show make's me sick! They aren't even portraying what REAL all-star cheerleading is about. It is just a bunch of parents, and this coach who want their 5 minutes of fame. We spend enough time defending that this is an actual sport and show off our major talents and now we have this show where it's a bunch of little girls who really can't defend or stand up to their parents as their parents push them to the max and "lives through her child." When is TLC going to get a clue? Enough with the little girls and parent's drama. Show a REAL competitive team where the cheerleaders want to be there and win for themselves and where coaches are supporting and helping their team while still being Disciplinary, Not this show about a bunch of drama filled moms and a wacked out coach.
Which is what Patty Ann and "Cheer" trys to show. Also, that Dunbar High show some years back did a pretty good job.

Back