All-Star Documentary On World Cup Twinkles!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The Twinkles are extremely talented. They're basically a miniature version of the Shooting Stars. There's probably a good chance if many of these young athletes stay with it, they will be the future Shooting Stars or one of the other Senior Level 5 teams. It's no wonder World Cup can roster multiple level 5 teams that are successful year in and year out.
How many Shooting Stars were Twinkles?

Really impressed, not only with the cheerleaders who were amazing but the preview - and from me that is hard to get. If it oops like this it is something I may even show my daughters -- again something hard (can't help it I really stay on top of what I let them watch). This looks fabulous and I can't wait to see more.

Hello from the newsroom of The Star-Ledger. I see there are a lot of questions about our Twinkles project, so I''ll try to answer as best I can.

First, a little about us. We are a regional news organization in the NYC market, but we are more than just one of the country's top 20 newspapers. We have a web site at nj.com, several mobile phone apps, one award-winning iPad app (New Jersey Special Reports), a glossy magazine (InsideJersey) and a video department that has won seven Emmy Awards. Nyier Abdou, who is doing the Twinkles documentary, is a three-time Emmy Award winner.

Our Twinkles project as planned right now will be the documentary film, an extensive photo gallery, a fairly long story and an iPad app. The app will pull all those pieces together and add in some extras, sort of like the DVD bonus parts. There's no TV show in the works. (Although it would make a great reality show.) There's not yet any TV broadcast planned, but we hope to get some network interest. We may do some theatrical screenings here in New Jersey, but we have to finish it first!

I know many of you are eager to see the complete project, but we are still working on it and expect to be grinding hard for the next two months. This little taste is just a trailer, much like you see at the movies.

Feel free to ask questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks,
Mark Miller

It was stated that we could ask questions, so......
Question for The Star-Ledger::)
I'm curious as to how you guys came across All Star Cheerleading/World Cup Twinkles and realized that there was something special there to make a documentary out of.

Most of the time it's very difficult for those of us in the sport to get across why competitive cheerleading is so near and dear in our hearts to people that aren't " in the cheer world" so to speak, especially the media, so I guess that's why I'm wondering. I was very impressed by the trailer for this documentary, and look forward to seeing it in the future.

That's a great question. Reporter Jackie Friedman covers (among other things) high school and youth athletics. There's no high school sports in the summer, so she's always looking for fresh stories.
She came up with the idea of doing something on competitive cheerleading. She found World Cup with a quick Google search. They are located in New Jersey, so it was perfect for us.
And we were amazed at what we found. What began as an idea for a print story quickly mushroomed into a year-long project for Jackie, Nyier and photographer Saed Hindash.
So Jackie gets the credit for the idea, the find and the pitch. The Twinkles just get credit for being awesome.

We plan to put it online at nj.com, and include it as part of the Twinkles tablet app. We'd like to sell it to a cable TV network, but we're far from that point. I'll post details when we're ready to release it.

Megaflipper: That's an interesting idea. Forgive my ignorance, but are there competitions every week? And would there be NJ teams involved? And would there be an audience for that in print on Monday, or is it easier to find that online Sunday night? It's something for us to think about. Thanks.

Megaflipper: That's an interesting idea. Forgive my ignorance, but are there competitions every week? And would there be NJ teams involved? And would there be an audience for that in print on Monday, or is it easier to find that online Sunday night? It's something for us to think about. Thanks.

There are many gyms across the state. There is pretty much at least 1 competition a weekend, in state, during the season. As far as a print audience...I'm thinking online would probably be easier.

ps, I love the fact that the Ledger hasn't gone to an online subscription. I hope you continue to stay that way :D

There are many gyms across the state. There is pretty much at least 1 competition a weekend, in state, during the season. As far as a print audience...I'm thinking online would probably be easier.

ps, I love the fact that the Ledger hasn't gone to an online subscription. I hope you continue to stay that way :D

NJ coach, This sounds like something we can set up with nj.com. If someone can consistently provide weekly results, we can deliver it online. Feel free to write to me at [email protected] and we can explore that possibility.

As for online subscriptions, that's always something being talked about but we don't have any plans to go that route. It's kinda hard to put that genie back in the bottle, right?

42320495334875303215882.jpg
Twinkles...NCA

Back