All-Star Etiquette At Cheer Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am so confused... Where are military kids considered rich? Officers are paid fairly well, but I wouldn't consider them rich. That is such weird non-reason not to like a team. I bet it felt great to win!
They were convinced that we were handed everything we wanted so they wanted to make a spectacle of us every year. This mentality was also with our football teams. We went to one game where we had a child on the cheer team with a medical issue and she needed special drinks and snacks, they refused to allow them in and I was personally told, "we sell similar items in our concession stands and let's face it you have the money, you can't hide it with all your big fancy houses on the base" I turned it around and basically told them that they could not and would not withhold food/ drinks that were a medical necessity and that if I needed to contact the local ADA chapter I would. I then called the commissioner for the cheer group and she came down and made them allow her to bring in the items (which were 2 powerades, bottled water, and fresh fruit- I know the horror)

Every location was required to provide water, which they would give us a hose to drink out of and tried to refuse us water coolers (this was in Texas) they would only charge us to get in to watch our kids, their parents got in free. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Working comps is actually terrifying.

I work the door at a few comps and the rudeness of parents is amazing. Parents who complain about paying to see their CHILD perform, or try to pay for said child to get it in. I've learned that a lot of parents don't know what their money goes to...

Not to mention being yelled at because the ticket price is over 5 dollars, which is not my call to begin with.

They were convinced that we were handed everything we wanted so they wanted to make a spectacle of us every year. This mentality was also with our football teams. We went to one game where we had a child on the cheer team with a medical issue and she needed special drinks and snacks, they refused to allow them in and I was personally told, "we sell similar items in our concession stands and let's face it you have the money, you can't hide it with all your big fancy houses on the base" I turned it around and basically told them that they could not and would not withhold food/ drinks that were a medical necessity and that if I needed to contact the local ADA chapter I would. I then called the commissioner for the cheer group and she came down and made them allow her to bring in the items (which were 2 powerades, bottled water, and fresh fruit- I know the horror)

Every location was required to provide water, which they would give us a hose to drink out of and tried to refuse us water coolers (this was in Texas) they would only charge us to get in to watch our kids, their parents got in free. It was absolutely ridiculous.
That is absolutely insane! Wow...I really have no words! As a military family and an owner whose clientele is 95% military.

I work the door at a few comps and the rudeness of parents is amazing. Parents who complain about paying to see their CHILD perform, or try to pay for said child to get it in. I've learned that a lot of parents don't know what their money goes to...

Not to mention being yelled at because the ticket price is over 5 dollars, which is not my call to begin with.

People who harass customer service workers for the pricing of a product do my head in. Like, do they really think someone in charge of pricing is going to also work at the front of things. UGH!

Parents just try and see what they can get away with. If they have been in cheer more than a year they know you pay to see everything! My mom has to pay $5 to see me cheer at a football or basketball game. $5 for allstars would be cheap! They know where the money goes they are just manipulators. They are the ones that will take the sale sticker off one item at walmart and stick it on another to save a few bucks. If you sign up for allstars make sure you have some $$$.

When CP was competing in Tampa before Christmas, the event charged $15 a person and to be free you had to be under 3. After buying my ticket, the woman behind me starts becoming rude as hell because she had to pay full price for her kids. To be fair, I sympathize because I paid $15 for DP to watch her sister and escape back to our room for the remainder of the competition, but I saw no sense and screaming and cursing over it.

I'll be the bad guy and say that I have no problem with "early" celebrations. It can be really difficult when EPs set up the award ceremonies up the way they do. These kids put so much of their lives into this. When you have absolutely given all that you have and you aren't one of those teams who is expected to win and even though you know you did enough to win, you'll probably get top 5 because that is just kind of the way things work most of the time, and 5th is called and it isn't you, then 4th, then 3rd, and 10 minutes have already gone by from announcing 10th to 3rd....well quite honestly raw emotion takes over your brain by the time they announce second and it isn't you, well sometimes it really just is something you can't help even though you "know better".
My kids were fortunate enough to be that team and I was that parent. Not something any of us ever have done before, but sometimes there are moments that deserve to be celebrated as they happen, and that was one of them.

I'll be the bad guy and say that I have no problem with "early" celebrations. It can be really difficult when EPs set up the award ceremonies up the way they do. These kids put so much of their lives into this. When you have absolutely given all that you have and you aren't one of those teams who is expected to win and even though you know you did enough to win, you'll probably get top 5 because that is just kind of the way things work most of the time, and 5th is called and it isn't you, then 4th, then 3rd, and 10 minutes have already gone by from announcing 10th to 3rd....well quite honestly raw emotion takes over your brain by the time they announce second and it isn't you, well sometimes it really just is something you can't help even though you "know better".
My kids were fortunate enough to be that team and I was that parent. Not something any of us ever have done before, but sometimes there are moments that deserve to be celebrated as they happen, and that was one of them.

I agree... and if you're truly happy about winning 2/3rd place it will not take away your moment!

That was quite the moment for you guys!

I also remember seeing on the feed how poorly other teams behaved during awards. I found it to be quite rude. There is something to be said for taking your placement with class and grace.

There was a team (I think it was a Gymtyme team) who placed like 10th or so who clapped for and really celebrated every team that placed above them. That was awesome.

Not sure if this has been said or not, but how about the amount of trash talk from other teams? and coaches trying to recruit happy athletes?

I mean since when it is it okay to make fun of a stunt group falling and a girl gets injured from it? or like last year (I think) when the girl from the gym at Worlds fell during her tumbling and the whole routine had to be stopped? There were meme like videos floating every where on facebook and people were laughing at it!I'm sorry, but you don't laugh at extremely hurt athletes.

The trash talk, we all have bad performances, and granted some of them are just flat out horrible and we question why they even came to competition, but trash talking during a routine be Susie's stunt group didn't hit, or its clear she doesn't know her dance for whatever reason its classless. You never know who's parent or gym owner you could be sitting beside, behind, or across from or walking by why talk trash about another team? we're better than that people!

I have always believed it odd that we judge kids' sportsmanship by how well they can hide their happiness. As someone whose teams have been on both sides of that coin more times than I can count, that seems like a strange yardstick to use. The setup for awards causes this, not mean-spirited children trying to "steal someone else's spotlight." I can't think of very many other sports where you find out the results DURING awards. If you are fortunate enough to outscore one of our teams - feel free to celebrate however you wish.

(Obviously, taunting or making fun of a team you have beaten are different things entirely - not what I am talking about.)

My number one pet peeve by far is when people get in priority viewing to watch their team, then stay and block our teams. I understand our worlds teams can be popular but it's irritating when random people are blocking me from seeing my best friends/coaches/boyfriend competing. Ive been completely blocked so many times and I don't think people understand how upsetting it is when those are our brothers and sisters up there.

In Palm Springs, when Reckless was about to go on, there was a mom, who bless her heart was short, trying to get up to the stage. I politely said to the cheerleaders in front of me, MOM COMING THROUGH, MOVE IT. lol Ok, it was nicer than that. They very nicely moved aside. :)

I seriously wonder how parents of kids on more popular/well-known teams ever actually SEE their kids perform.
You all need to get a little New Yorker in you! I have no problem telling anyone that is not a family member of one of cps team mates to get the he|| out of the way.... I simply tell them that i need to see my kid and how would your mother feel if she couldnt watch you perform? I am very forward when it comes to the mash pit....I have never had someone who hasnt obliged lol.

This just reminded me of a comp a few weeks ago without much of a priority section. It was a small comp without a raised stage. There was an area in front where you had to sit on the floor if you wanted to. A mom who just had knee surgery hobbled up with her cane. Her S/O asked a man sitting in a seat if she could sit there while her daughter's team performed (he did not have a child on the team). Be balked so hard at her. I think he wouldn't have given her his seat if so many being hadn't have gasped by his initial refusal. [emoji51]

This just reminded me of a comp a few weeks ago without much of a priority section. It was a small comp without a raised stage. There was an area in front where you had to sit on the floor if you wanted to. A mom who just had knee surgery hobbled up with her cane. Her S/O asked a man sitting in a seat if she could sit there while her daughter's team performed (he did not have a child on the team). Be balked so hard at her. I think he wouldn't have given her his seat if so many being hadn't have gasped by his initial refusal. [emoji51]

That's absolutely terrible. And yet another reason I don't go to "priority" seating anymore. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back