All-Star Etiquette At Cheer Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'll be the bad guy and say that I have no problem with "early" celebrations. It can be really difficult when EPs set up the award ceremonies up the way they do. These kids put so much of their lives into this. When you have absolutely given all that you have and you aren't one of those teams who is expected to win and even though you know you did enough to win, you'll probably get top 5 because that is just kind of the way things work most of the time, and 5th is called and it isn't you, then 4th, then 3rd, and 10 minutes have already gone by from announcing 10th to 3rd....well quite honestly raw emotion takes over your brain by the time they announce second and it isn't you, well sometimes it really just is something you can't help even though you "know better".
My kids were fortunate enough to be that team and I was that parent. Not something any of us ever have done before, but sometimes there are moments that deserve to be celebrated as they happen, and that was one of them.
I could have written this ;) When they announced 2 and we just realized our little black sheep had won...our entire group lost it. It was so far from any expectation and to go through that...in 5th....in 4th....and that moment...You just can't be prepared and the emotion is overwhelming.

When CP was competing in Tampa before Christmas, the event charged $15 a person and to be free you had to be under 3. After buying my ticket, the woman behind me starts becoming rude as hell because she had to pay full price for her kids. To be fair, I sympathize because I paid $15 for DP to watch her sister and escape back to our room for the remainder of the competition, but I saw no sense and screaming and cursing over it.

We normally run the same prices, except kids and seniors have a discounted rate. We also run out of change with the odd numbers and have to wait till the EP brings it to us. So many parents would get mad but like it's so beyond my control. My college team works at comps that are held on campus to earn $$ for the program, so half the time I'm there it's because I have to be there and would rather be asleep or doing homework.

We have had parents just come in and slip us a credit card and then become irate that we don't accept them, and literally have a tantrum that they have to go to the ATM at another building on campus. They usually pull the "but I'm only here for one team" or "my daughter comes on in 5 mins"

Not to be rude or judgy but if you know your child is going to be performing in minutes, you should probably already be in your seat and not arguing with me.

As we head into Nationals Season with Cheersport and NCA this month, please be kind to your staff.

Please try to come to an event with your hair and makeup done. We can't police everyone and make sure that everyone gets "outlet time." Your day (and mine) will be less stressful if you show up ready to go.

Please remember to check in to warmups either early or on time. We can't hunt you down at large events. We will always try our best to make things run smoothly all day, but we need your help with reporting on time.

Please don't yell at the staff over the bathroom lines. I cannot control how fast or slow someone goes to the bathroom.

Please, if you must change, change in a bathroom. There is no need to change in the middle of the venue. Please do not yell at the staff if we politely ask you to change in a bathroom instead for modesty purposes.

The staff working these large events are people too, so please keep that in mind when you see us! I know you may be tempted to yell at us because these days are very long and stressful, and we will do what we can to alleviate any issues, but please be as nice as you can be. :)

As we head into Nationals Season with Cheersport and NCA this month, please be kind to your staff.

Please try to come to an event with your hair and makeup done. We can't police everyone and make sure that everyone gets "outlet time." Your day (and mine) will be less stressful if you show up ready to go.

Please remember to check in to warmups either early or on time. We can't hunt you down at large events. We will always try our best to make things run smoothly all day, but we need your help with reporting on time.

Please don't yell at the staff over the bathroom lines. I cannot control how fast or slow someone goes to the bathroom.

Please, if you must change, change in a bathroom. There is no need to change in the middle of the venue. Please do not yell at the staff if we politely ask you to change in a bathroom instead for modesty purposes.

The staff working these large events are people too, so please keep that in mind when you see us! I know you may be tempted to yell at us because these days are very long and stressful, and we will do what we can to alleviate any issues, but please be as nice as you can be. :)
The fact that you actually have to remind people of this... oh, humans.

If I were a coach I'd be SO vexed if a kid showed up to a competition without their hair and makeup down, especially in all-star (knowing how long that can take).

If I were a coach I'd be SO vexed if a kid showed up to a competition without their hair and makeup down, especially in all-star (knowing how long that can take).
Cp will often get ready at the competition if the meeting time is hours before she has to compete. She knows what she needs to do to be ready, and the coaches know that the older kids by this time know how much time it takes them. The girls also know their own strengths and weaknesses in terms of hair and makeup and will help each other out.

Cp will often get ready at the competition if the meeting time is hours before she has to compete. She knows what she needs to do to be ready, and the coaches know that the older kids by this time know how much time it takes them. The girls also know their own strengths and weaknesses in terms of hair and makeup and will help each other out.
I thought she was talking about people getting upset because there aren't enough outlets?

I also have had my CPs getting ready at the venue, especially since I have two on completely different levels and often have to be there HOURS ahead. But I am always a bit uncomfortable about it. This is for two reasons: the first is that I really hate getting doused by hairspray while sitting in the audience. It's gross, and it makes me sneeze. So I insist that my CPs use hairspray away from others. The second is that I always thought that it was part of the image policy to not be getting ready in the venue?

Oh. It happens. See also: kids at games 45 minutes before kick off without hair done because they didn't want to be late. (my girls report an hour before.)

Hahahahha! There's a venue we attend often that doesn't allow any make-up/hair prep to be done inside. One time I used the restroom, washed my hands, then began to apply lipstick using the restroom mirror. An athlete in the room pointed to the sign and let me know it isn't allowed. [emoji23] Ok.

Good for you!

See also: Leaving your younger kid to run wild with senior aged kids is not supervision.

The etiquette issue here is that more often than not, the older kids are ignoring other moms/hotel staff/etc. who are telling them to be quiet/stop tumbling in the hallways/stop running.

I think this really depends on who your kids are and who the senior kids are. When I was a super senior I'd always watch the one ten year old if we were going swimming or getting something to eat, and she never misbehaved on my watch.

This is true, hence the "run wild" part. If you're left with responsible kids to watch teams or whatever, you're not going to just be running wild/getting in the way/etc.

I am still iffy on the swimming part as kids can get hurt/drown even in a pool full of kids who are trying their best to keep an eye on them.

I thought she was talking about people getting upset because there aren't enough outlets?

I also have had my CPs getting ready at the venue, especially since I have two on completely different levels and often have to be there HOURS ahead. But I am always a bit uncomfortable about it. This is for two reasons: the first is that I really hate getting doused by hairspray while sitting in the audience. It's gross, and it makes me sneeze. So I insist that my CPs use hairspray away from others. The second is that I always thought that it was part of the image policy to not be getting ready in the venue?
I thought that was one of the things that @yooolizzi was referring to but it sounded like @Official OWECheer was making more of a general statement of kids not coming to the venue competition ready and that's more what I was addressing. The funny thing is after I posted that I realized that this season more so than in the past cp is getting completely ready at the hotel before going to the venue because she just finds it easier. Plus she does a few of her teammates' makeup and this way she doesn't have to worry about her own.

I always do my make up before games/events. Even if I'm super early, I usually come with everything but lips on. If I'm running late because I'm coming from home, I try to have my face and eyeliner on, really basic everyday make-up and then I do eyeshadow and lips at the event.

since no one has mentioned trash and since NCA 2016 aka trashfest 2016 (judging from last year's pics) is coming up, now is a good time to remind people: don't leave your trash all over the place... it's nasty! just because the trashcans are overflowing, that doesn't mean that the aisles need to be overflowing with trash as well. it's not that hard to pack 10+ grocery store plastic bags in one's pack. they'll get smushed down easily. take one out and put the trash in there and just toss it near the overflowing trash cans when you walk past one. better to have trash build up around trash cans, an easy place for staff to pick up, than to build up trash in the seating aisles where staff can't clean.

since no one has mentioned trash and since NCA 2016 aka trashfest 2016 (judging from last year's pics) is coming up, now is a good time to remind people: don't leave your trash all over the place... it's nasty! just because the trashcans are overflowing, that doesn't mean that the aisles need to be overflowing with trash as well. it's not that hard to pack 10+ grocery store plastic bags in one's pack. they'll get smushed down easily. take one out and put the trash in there and just toss it near the overflowing trash cans when you walk past one. better to have trash build up around trash cans, an easy place for staff to pick up, than to build up trash in the seating aisles where staff can't clean.
Yes yes to all this. I go to games a lot. It annoys beyond anything that people just get up and leave their trash. They pass trash cans on their way out. How hard is it to pick up your trash.

Back