All-Star Etiquette At Cheer Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes yes to all this. I go to games a lot. It annoys beyond anything that people just get up and leave their trash. They pass trash cans on their way out. How hard is it to pick up your trash.

Oh grrrrrr, the struggle. I work in food (fast- casual) and it shocks me how few people know how to use a trash can. I had a guy who threw away his sandwich bag, but left his napkins and his empty coke bottle. Or people just leave it all, and sometimes it's not even our trash; it's leftover chow mein or donuts or chipotle. And roommate wonders why I'm cranky when I get home after work.

Hahahahha! There's a venue we attend often that doesn't allow any make-up/hair prep to be done inside. One time I used the restroom, washed my hands, then began to apply lipstick using the restroom mirror. An athlete in the room pointed to the sign and let me know it isn't allowed. [emoji23] Ok.

Same for us. It was really enforced at one of the one's we went to in Kansas City, I took out something to touch up CP's lips and bam I had an attendant on me in seconds.

since no one has mentioned trash and since NCA 2016 aka trashfest 2016 (judging from last year's pics) is coming up, now is a good time to remind people: don't leave your trash all over the place... it's nasty! just because the trashcans are overflowing, that doesn't mean that the aisles need to be overflowing with trash as well. it's not that hard to pack 10+ grocery store plastic bags in one's pack. they'll get smushed down easily. take one out and put the trash in there and just toss it near the overflowing trash cans when you walk past one. better to have trash build up around trash cans, an easy place for staff to pick up, than to build up trash in the seating aisles where staff can't clean.
If you weren't there you likely wouldn't understand the conditions. First off, coming from 1,200 miles away I didn't really have access to grocery bags - not something we have ever needed at NCA or any other competition in the 10 years I've been involved in this. Second, there was nowhere to put the trash - the areas around the trash barrels were already piled. There was no staff to clean the trash because Texas clearly can't do snow.
Although there are some people who are guilty of not cleaning up after themselves, but this wasn't the cause of the situation at NCA last year. I am guessing as long as the weather holds up the convention center will be in better shape than it ever has given the disaster last year.

One team this weekend celebrated so much when woodlands was called in 2nd to them this weekend, I was so embarrassed for that first place team and the actions of their parents and kids. Now I see people don't actually care about it:/

Thankfully we are absolutely not allowed to do that at our gym.

We had one person do it this year at cash bash and it was a coaches grand mother for a team her grandson helps coach, our owner immediately turned around and did the cut it off sign and she was so embarrassed as we all were. I know it was just one person, but they need to know that is completely unacceptable at our gym. Maybe it was acceptable at the old gym he coached at but not here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is a difference between acting in the moment and then doing it maliciously. The story above with the coach constantly standing up to do the #1 sign is definitely malicious.

This past comp, I didn't expect CP's team to win. Her stunt group dropped and no one else in the division did and though there was one team I was semi-confident that they would likely place above, I felt the other would likely take 1st and our team would go 2nd. When they announced 2nd and it wasn't my CP's team, I immediately turned to my husband with huge eyes and went "OMG they won" as I grabbed the bottom of my chair. I was quiet about it but even knowing that celebrating early is a no-go, my initial reaction/shock trumped logic.

Sometimes what you think you should do versus what actually happens is something that isn't controllable. So I truly try hard not to judge those who celebrate early unless it's clear that they're doing it out of spite or hate.

YEARS ago when cp was still in rec, we always did a cheer comp at the end of the year. There was one team that won- every stinking year while ours never did well since we were military and we were considered "the rich kids" we were always docked for the silliest of things, our kids were booed, told they were worthless, every team would get cheered for except ours etc. Well, this one team had a habit of every time 2nd place was announced, their coach would stand up and throw her we're #1 finger up to illicit huge screaming for their team knowing they had won yet again, never allowing 2nd place to have their moment to shine. This one particular year (cps last year in rec) they were calling out placements, got to 2nd, she stood up doing her normal thing....only to have her team name called out for 2nd...... The celebration quickly turned quiet and you could seriously hear a pin drop. The kids and coaches were beyond mad and when we were named as champions they pulled the "rich military kids paid off the judges" and as they were leaving, the coach made every single child throw away their 2nd place trophy because she only trains winners.

I felt sorry for those children for so many reasons.....
wow that's disgusting, what kind of coach does things like that? congrats on that first place though:deathdrop:

It makes me so upset to see people get up and move around during a performance. Why??? It's 2.5 minutes. Then you have a break of about a minute to move if you need too.

So rude

Sorry. Just drives me crazy. I think EPs need to try to enforce this somehow. Maybe threaten deductions if you are caught??

Or even walking right in front of the stage as if there's nothing going on at all. It drives me crazy!

Not sure if this has been said or not, but how about the amount of trash talk from other teams? and coaches trying to recruit happy athletes?

I mean since when it is it okay to make fun of a stunt group falling and a girl gets injured from it? or like last year (I think) when the girl from the gym at Worlds fell during her tumbling and the whole routine had to be stopped? There were meme like videos floating every where on facebook and people were laughing at it!I'm sorry, but you don't laugh at extremely hurt athletes.

The trash talk, we all have bad performances, and granted some of them are just flat out horrible and we question why they even came to competition, but trash talking during a routine be Susie's stunt group didn't hit, or its clear she doesn't know her dance for whatever reason its classless. You never know who's parent or gym owner you could be sitting beside, behind, or across from or walking by why talk trash about another team? we're better than that people!
I feel the same exact way. I'm different when it comes to comp, I want to see EVERYONE hit, regardless of if you're our biggest competition or not. I get so upset when even some random team whom I've never even heard of doesn't hit. But cheering and trash talking when someone messes up isn't good, someone could've EASILY gotten hurt, which is scary.

Athletes going into the coaches room at nationals and eating all of their food/drinks. It really sucks when a coach is running back and forth between teams all day and have no time to eat finally get 5 minutes to grab a bite in the coaches room and all the food and drinks are gone because the kids that were there for 3 hours and competed once walked in and ate it all.

Girls taking up all the sinks and mirrors to do hair and make-up. I shouldn't have to ask you to move so I can wash my hands..

When a team gets a placement they are obviously unhappy with, and purposely leave the trophy behind on the awards stage/floor.

Athletes going into the coaches room at nationals and eating all of their food/drinks. It really sucks when a coach is running back and forth between teams all day and have no time to eat finally get 5 minutes to grab a bite in the coaches room and all the food and drinks are gone because the kids that were there for 3 hours and competed once walked in and ate it all.

Girls taking up all the sinks and mirrors to do hair and make-up. I shouldn't have to ask you to move so I can wash my hands..

When a team gets a placement they are obviously unhappy with, and purposely leave the trophy behind on the awards stage/floor.

THIS.

I had exactly 20 minutes to run into the coaches room all day at Supernationals to get food/drinks on the Saturday, when I went in there all the food and drinks were gone! Normally its even worse at Canadian comps as far as athletes in the coaches room goes, but there's always food at least.

since no one has mentioned trash and since NCA 2016 aka trashfest 2016 (judging from last year's pics) is coming up, now is a good time to remind people: don't leave your trash all over the place... it's nasty! just because the trashcans are overflowing, that doesn't mean that the aisles need to be overflowing with trash as well. it's not that hard to pack 10+ grocery store plastic bags in one's pack. they'll get smushed down easily. take one out and put the trash in there and just toss it near the overflowing trash cans when you walk past one. better to have trash build up around trash cans, an easy place for staff to pick up, than to build up trash in the seating aisles where staff can't clean.
THIS!!!

One team this weekend celebrated so much when woodlands was called in 2nd to them this weekend, I was so embarrassed for that first place team and the actions of their parents and kids. Now I see people don't actually care about it:/

Thankfully we are absolutely not allowed to do that at our gym.

We had one person do it this year at cash bash and it was a coaches grand mother for a team her grandson helps coach, our owner immediately turned around and did the cut it off sign and she was so embarrassed as we all were. I know it was just one person, but they need to know that is completely unacceptable at our gym. Maybe it was acceptable at the old gym he coached at but not here.

Had one mom do this once. Celebrate early. At our next comp I sat next to her and held her hand so she couldn't jump up. Easy peasy and no one got their feelings hurt. :)

If you weren't there you likely wouldn't understand the conditions. First off, coming from 1,200 miles away I didn't really have access to grocery bags - not something we have ever needed at NCA or any other competition in the 10 years I've been involved in this. Second, there was nowhere to put the trash - the areas around the trash barrels were already piled. There was no staff to clean the trash because Texas clearly can't do snow.
Although there are some people who are guilty of not cleaning up after themselves, but this wasn't the cause of the situation at NCA last year. I am guessing as long as the weather holds up the convention center will be in better shape than it ever has given the disaster last year.

So true. The entire place was a trash can. The trashcans were overflowing so much that there was a few feet of trash piled up beside it already. I'm not making excuses because people should pick up their trash regardless. But the trash-fest that was Dallas 2015 was definitely more out of control than usual. It wasn't just waste that you toss in a bin either, there was excrement on the bathroom floors too. No paper towels, no soap. It was just foul.

Among my biggest complaints is athletes (and parents) who sit in the arenas and openly bash/trash talk other programs. Last year at UCA, there was a group of middle school girls behind us chanting, "FALL FALL FALL" during stunt sequences, comments about how flyers should 'give up and die already', among many other hateful comments. At one point, I videoed them from my lap and upon returning home, I sent that video to the email address associated with their program. Someone responded to me and said that 'the girls comments were taken out of context and they didn't mean it the way it sounded.'. Yeah, okay.

Latest posts

Back