OT How To Make A Big Cheer Bow Without A Sewing Machine?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 28, 2012
Hey guys if any of you guys know how to make cheer bows with sewing can you give me some tips and post your bows you made? THANKS:chestbump:

It can be done w just a hot glue gun or fabric glue! Super simple! YouTube "how to make a cheerleading bow" and a ton of videos will pop up! Good luck!

I do not use a sewing maching, I use heating bond and hand sew the center. The only part that has hot glue is the center.

I pinch the center and use thread to wrap/tie around a hair elastic. I've never used a sewing machine or sewed the center. I've even used zip ties when I'm short on time.

I pinch the center and use thread to wrap/tie around a hair elastic. I've never used a sewing machine or sewed the center. I've even used zip ties when I'm short on time.
I have heard about the zip ties and actually picked up some yesterday and will try them to see how it turns out. It will save a lot of time, but I do not want to trade time for quality.....I am very big on quality; this is the reason why I started making bows. You pay so much for them and most do not get you through the season. I like the idea that even if the center knot that is glued, came appart, the bow is still fully intact. And with white bows, I like being able to put them in the wash and not fall apart. I will let you know how it goes.

I have heard about the zip ties and actually picked up some yesterday and will try them to see how it turns out. It will save a lot of time, but I do not want to trade time for quality.....I am very big on quality; this is the reason why I started making bows. You pay so much for them and most do not get you through the season. I like the idea that even if the center knot that is glued, came appart, the bow is still fully intact. And with white bows, I like being able to put them in the wash and not fall apart. I will let you know how it goes.

I made practice bows for my team for Worlds, just plain black, and left the zip ties uncovered. But I also made our competition bows, and put a thin piece of ribbon over the tie to cover it when I had to fix one last minute. You do have a bump from the zip tie, but that's easy enough to hide in the back.

If you're using the zip ties (bar-locks, cable ties, whatever your region calls them) make sure you trim them with side cutters to the nub and then file the sharp edge. The little piece of plastic left over from the cut can break through the ribbon and stab you.

If you're using the zip ties (bar-locks, cable ties, whatever your region calls them) make sure you trim them with side cutters to the nub and then file the sharp edge. The little piece of plastic left over from the cut can break through the ribbon and stab you.
Thanks, I actually did some last night and I did two things:
1. I put the ending part in the back of the bow and did not include the pony-O....I did read somewhere that the tie will cut through the pony-O.

2. I them glued the pony-O directly above (not on top of) the end of the tie where I cut the tail off the covered it with the center ribbon.

It looked great. I put them in the washer to see how they hold up and so far so good. This did save me alot of time with the sewing, but as I mentioned earlier, I do not want to compromise on the quality of the bows.....so far so good.

I actually use floral wire instead of a zip tie. I wrap it loosely around the center of the bow until I get it all evened out, then I tighten it and cut it close to the bow. After that, I use the tip of my closed scissors to bend the ends down close. I put the pony o on and use hot glue to put the center ribbon around it. I wrap the ribbon around several times, so it completely cushions the wire and keeps it from poking out. I like the floral wire because it doesn't leave a bump like a zip tie.
I only use hot glue in the center. I use liquid stitch fabric glue for the rest because it's not so lumpy. Good luck!

I'm really not supposed to say stuff like this because my mom's convinced nobody else knows (lol, she's completely wrong), but mommadonna is right. Don't use zip ties! They may seem quick and easy, but they will stab your head. Use floral or 'bowdabra wire'. It's much easier to manage and you don't get plastic marks on your head.

Back