All-Star Keeping Up Flying Skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CP has a great cheer opportunity this Sat., but it's far from home. Too early to share details. Praying

Sending some good wishes your way.

Earlier you said that you felt that you let your daughter down. Just remember, that she may feel let down, but that doesn't mean you let her down. Yes, she's disappointed, but I'm going to assume that you didn't take all your money and blow it on frivolous things instead of saving it for your kid. Cheer is an expensive sport and you're not the only one who has been priced out. I can tell that you love her to bits and want nothing but the best for her; this is most definitely not "letting her down." Just keep being a good momma and things will all work out. I honestly believe that good things come to good people.

@getsum Thanks , that is great advice. Our local small gym had a spot, but it wasn't for a flyer and filled very quickly. I didn't realize how fast it would fill. If a scholarship, CP would have definitely taken an alternate position. That could have been a win/win. There weren't any that I'm aware of. Sat looks very promising. The only downfall is the distance. Praying for God's will in this situation.

hopefully something works out, even if it's at a smaller non-worlds gym. i've been in this situation (not cheer) and i took the less premium route for a short while while i recovered. it wasn't the first option, but it was an option that allowed me to keep my focus and keep up my skills, even if i didn't see the improvement that i was hoping for at the time. keeping up my skills or barely improving those skills, at a less than premium place, was better than stagnating at no place. i came back either right where i left off or slightly better than before the break. that's not to say that any place is better than no place; at some less than premium places, it may be better to not go to them then to go to them.

question to anyone, how does being an alternate work when it comes to tuition? i know its probably different at different gyms. perhaps one could get a free/partial ride the entire year ( for team practices) if they volunteer as an alternate? that way one can still get that team environment practice for no/less money? im also guessing that the bigger gyms have no shortage of alternates for their worlds teams.

Yup, different gyms are different. In the past, I've been at gyms where alternates don't pay tuition, but they have to be an athlete on another team at the same time (so they pay their tuition there). If they end up being needed on both teams, they then pay the crossover tuition. Other gyms, alternates still pay tuition. Also, the decision to make athletes cheer on a different team as a non-alternate is different from gym to gym.

The few gyms I am familiar with in my area don't seem to use alternates with the exception of one international team. They do have 2 guy alternates on that specific team. My CP won't qualify for international until next season.

@getsum Thanks , that is great advice. Our local small gym had a spot, but it wasn't for a flyer and filled very quickly. I didn't realize how fast it would fill. If a scholarship, CP would have definitely taken an alternate position. That could have been a win/win. There weren't any that I'm aware of. Sat looks very promising. The only downfall is the distance. Praying for God's will in this situation.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you couldn't afford the option close to you how is going even farther away going to work? Even if the gym being considered offers a scholarship, what about gas, wear/tear on vehicle, travel expenses (which usually are not scholarship)?
Don't make a bad financial decision in a desperate attempt to not let a child down. Kids HAVE to learn that sometimes this stuff happens, you will not always get what you want and have to be disappointed.
I haven't been on here in a long time so I don't know your home situation but do you have other kids? How will they feel about heaven/earth being moved for their sibling? Are they getting the same consideration for their activities?
Also, don't get sucked in to "fly or die". Is she devastated she can't cheer or that she can't fly? If she loves it that much she won't care if she's 2nd nugget to the right...especially coming in this late in the season.
Also beware of gyms promising things right now. In healthcare if a hospital is offering huge sign on bonuses it's because they have issues causing them to lose staff. Does this other gym have an experienced Worlds team? Why do they all of a sudden have not only an opening but the ability to scholarship? (In other words if a flyer spot got snapped up at your local gym why is this gym having difficulty filling theirs?) Just something to think about.

Here is something I've never really shared with the class...
I had to pull my child because of finances. Not just that but I was close to divorce because my husband found out I had charged up a ridiculous amount of credit debit trying to keep her in. I cried almost daily that I was letting my kid down. It was actually cp that talked me off the ledge. She did eventually go back and did a season at a small gym, all of her skills were back within a couple months. Now she's on a competitive HS team.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you couldn't afford the option close to you how is going even farther away going to work? Even if the gym being considered offers a scholarship, what about gas, wear/tear on vehicle, travel expenses (which usually are not scholarship)?
Don't make a bad financial decision in a desperate attempt to not let a child down. Kids HAVE to learn that sometimes this stuff happens, you will not always get what you want and have to be disappointed.
I haven't been on here in a long time so I don't know your home situation but do you have other kids? How will they feel about heaven/earth being moved for their sibling? Are they getting the same consideration for their activities?
Also, don't get sucked in to "fly or die". Is she devastated she can't cheer or that she can't fly? If she loves it that much she won't care if she's 2nd nugget to the right...especially coming in this late in the season.
Also beware of gyms promising things right now. In healthcare if a hospital is offering huge sign on bonuses it's because they have issues causing them to lose staff. Does this other gym have an experienced Worlds team? Why do they all of a sudden have not only an opening but the ability to scholarship? (In other words if a flyer spot got snapped up at your local gym why is this gym having difficulty filling theirs?) Just something to think about.

I had to pull my child because of finances. Not just that but I was close to divorce because my husband found out I had charged up a ridiculous amount of credit debit trying to keep her in. I cried almost daily that I was letting my kid down. It was actually cp that talked me off the ledge. She did eventually go back and did a season at a small gym, all of her skills were back within a couple months. Now she's on a competitive HS team.
Shimmy x1000!
Taking time off is not a bad thing and while you may feel you are letting your child down and she may be missing it...you both may find it is the best thing ever!
Oh and the sibling resentment thing is real!

Last edited:
There are always kids that get sick, have injuries, etc. at the last minute for practice. You might call the gym, or talk to coaches and see if she could be a stand by for those cases. If they would allow it, and she is willing, she could warm up with the teams and then be stand by for teams level 1-5 if they have someone out. Emergencies happen and it would be a way to keep up with stamina and skills.

We have family that lives there. Money isn't the issue for this opportunity, distance is the issue. I haven't decided what we will do, but we will do what we feel is best for our family. Wanted to add CP does know that life has hurts and disappointments . She learned that hard lesson when her Dad left and disappeared 6 years ago.

Last edited:

I've been on these boards a long, long time. How in the world is your CP high school age already? Wasn't she just a mini?!

I've been on these boards a long, long time. How in the world is your CP high school age already? Wasn't she just a mini?!

She is 13. I know time flies by way too fast. She started when she was about 5 on show team. I wish time would slow down.

preach

She is 13. I know time flies by way too fast. She started when she was about 5 on show team. I wish time would slow down.

She was referring to my cp. I've been on the boards since she was on Mini 1 at Cheer Athletics. Many of the Fierce kids who have grown up were in their teens when the boards were first opened.

I can tell by your response you are not truly looking for advice because the tone was very defensive.
So this family is prepared to pay her living costs, including food, school fees, the "omg I forgot I have to turn in $25 by today" fees?
They are prepared to make sure she is at practice every scheduled day...including the drop practices because it's a Worlds team?
This isn't going to cause a rift between you and your family members because at the end of the day this is just a very expensive extracurricular activity? There are no Olympic medals, no NCAA scholarships...no end game.
Last point because at the end of the day, you are right, it is your family and you have to do whats best for you. She is only 13 years old. As a nurse that works with kids all day everyday, she needs her mom right now not an aunt or other family member. She needs YOU to guide her through the horrible middle school years where girls are bitches and tear each other down. She would essentially be dealing with this alone.
Like I said, you do you. We are all just trying to give you advice so you don't look back at say "wtf did I do that?"

Sorry, I have also been on the board awhile and misread her post.

I actually asked for advice on how to keep up her skills. I didn't ask for advice in this area. With that said you have many valid points.

Last edited:
I'm really late to the game, but does your CP have a stunt stand to practice pulling skills on? If not, two cans of corn or whatever is a good substitute. This way she doesn't loose her scorpion or heel stretch.

Thanks CP stretches, pulls, and holds her positions at home. More fear of losing air skills like double ups & kick , kick, double baskets, etc. She misses being on and part of a team like crazy. Keep telling myself everything happens for a reason.

Back