Maddie Gardner First Cheerleader To Sign Multi-year Management Deal.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is a little off topic but I had an uneasy feeling when someone pointed out that a site was congratulating Maddie and her team, like they were her back up singers. I know pro basketball teams have their Jordan's and such but it still doesn't settle well for many reasons when some of these kids are over celebrated. I know there are "Maddie's" everywhere that may not be fortunate enough to live close enough to go to a premier gym to get the same recognition and I think that reducing everyone else as into categories as "her team" is bad for this sport in the big picture.

Reallycoolcheermommy Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a business standpoint this missed the mark. Here's why:
1. As mentioned above, she's aged out of the sport. Her shelf life is short and the expiration date is fast approaching.
2. She has already signed endorsement deals, so her agent is jumping on board after all the details have been hammered out.

Here's why it's a good idea:
1. The agent will help her negotiate for better endorsement deals
2. Don't have to worry about STUNT/NCAA eligibility. It's not going to become an NCAA sport in 4 years, it's a longer process.
3. My money is on her "writing" a book, the agent will help with that.
4. She'll probably end up also doing commentary etc, again the agent will help.

1. As mentioned above, she's aged out of the sport. Her shelf life is short and the expiration date is fast approaching.
2. She has already signed endorsement deals, so her agent is jumping on board after all the details have been hammered out.

2. Don't have to worry about STUNT/NCAA eligibility. It's not going to become an NCAA sport in 4 years, it's a longer process.

I haven't heard her speak too much but commentary on competitions could be a good outlet. She would know what all the stuff being competed is.

This is such an amazing step forward for cheerleading and all of you continue to bash maddie. I find it pathetic! Who else could represent cheerleading in such a positive light? Maddie is a scholar student and probably one of the most well known names in the sport. Congratulations Maddie!!!!! You are a class act!

This is such an amazing step forward for cheerleading and all of you continue to bash maddie. I find it pathetic! Who else could represent cheerleading in such a positive light? Maddie is a scholar student and probably one of the most well known names in the sport. Congratulations Maddie!!!!! You are a class act!
No one is bashing maddie! People are questioning it and what will be the pros and cons! No one has said anything nasty!

No one is bashing maddie! People are questioning it and what will be the pros and cons! No one has said anything nasty!

Eh, that's not true. Some people are implying that she doesn't deserve it, or others deserve it more than her.

I think she's the logical choice for it, she's probably the biggest star our sport has. I just think that timing is a bit odd, though MissBee brought up a few good points about what she could be using an agent for.

I almost liken her to a recently retired gymnast - isn't directly involved with the sport anymore but can still be a spokesperson and ambassador. (Obviously not at the same level, but you get the idea.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the input. I will post a little more on this. Maddie is first and foremost a student and committed to her education. She hopes to be a jounalist. I had heard someone ask about the Morehead. She was indeed nominated and did well in the process but did not receive the scholarship, and unless I'm mistaken the stature of cheer as her athletic endeavor was a negative. Like it or not, academia does not hold a high opinion of our sport, and I hope that changes sometime in the future.

Maddie decided to sign with Cindy for multiple reasons, but mainly she likes Cindy as do we and felt comfortable with her as her representative. We did due diligence in the process, checking multiple references and they were all stellar. The reason for an agent is a good question. First, she has finished her career and commitments to CEA. That was always her priority. However, she continues to get asked to do multiple things in multiple areas due to her noteriety and talents, and she and we do not have the time and expertise to field requests. She has NEVER been paid ANYTHING to this point for anything she has done EXCEPT a fee from Cheerlebrity for expenses and travel. IF, and we have no idea if anyone will be interested, she does things in the future, we want her expenses covered and what she is due from people requesting her time and reputation as is customary for the opportunities being discussed. We felt Cindy had the ability to reprent her and take care of those issues in a professional manner and hopefully negotiate terms based on the norms that are favorable to Maddie. If nothing becomes of the association there is no harm to anyone. And if she is successful, I would hope others may watch what she acheives and use it for their own benefit in the future. She is an adult now, embarking on her life and career. As an adult, she has to approach her opportunities in a responsible and professional manner. Thanks for everyone's support and even the criticism, as both are educational to us in the scheme of things.

Congrats to you Maddie! Hopefully this causes a chain reaction of more management deals for other cheerleaders.

My problem is that she is an amazing flyer- but she would be nothing without her bases! I hate that I teach my cp that this is a TEAM sport and 1 girl is being put out there like she does it all by herself? Where was she in the tumble pass? Where was she in jumps to tuck? Please don't think I am bashing her because I enjoy watching her in the air but know that her bases do a lot of the work.

famousMOM i agree, but you are a brave woman for posting that. its always going to be like that regardless of sport, but on other sports you dont have 3 people below you fighting to keep you up in the air to hit perfect, so really a lot of the credit should go to bases and backspots but it doesnt.

Back