All-Star Male Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't mind guys flying in baskets (especially more difficult baskets like double fulls or kick doubles) but that's about it. I don't really like guys flying elite sections as much - and definitely not when I see things like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQtmqcR60s&feature=related] with the guy just standing there not pulling anything (nothing against him or the team of course).
He should go up when the girls pulled their arabesque and he do the same and then them all doubled down from arabesque.....

I don't like to see guys flying in stunt sequences. I just don't think it looks masculine, I know all male cheerleaders aren't going for the "masculine" persona...but at the end of the day...I don't care how straight his leg is in a scorpion, or how pretty his bow is... I still don't want to a male flying on a competition mat. Save it for having fun back at the gym or standing on the arm of your couch in your living room.

I don't mind seeing males (collegiate or level 6 in particular) flying in the middle level of a pyramid...because its pretty much a necessity for them to do it considering the elite portions of pyramids....their strength is needed.

Baskets...I'm kind of "eh" about... a flipping or twisting basket... if a guy can make it look beautiful then yes... but a toe touch basket...no thanks.
Gender doesn't matter, it's the skill!

Gender doesn't matter, it's the skill!

In my opinion gender does matter. Guys flying for fun as a novelty...sure go for it. On a competition mat, no thank you.

I'm also curious as to how female bases feel about having to base males. I know for certain that my younger sister would feel uncomfortable if she had to do it and would probably ask her coach if she could not do it. I am also fairly certain that my mom would object to having my sister base a male.

In my opinion gender does matter. Guys flying for fun as a novelty...sure go for it. On a competition mat, no thank you.

I'm also curious as to how female bases feel about having to base males. I know for certain that my younger sister would feel uncomfortable if she had to do it and would probably ask her coach if she could not do it. I am also fairly certain that my mom would object to having my sister base a male.
I'm not flying just for fun! I flied last year because we didn't had enough flyers and people were hurt... No one at my team have problem with basing male flyers.

I know guys who have been uncomfortable basing girls at first. When they just started cheering. So it's probably the same for some girls that starts basing guys. They're just not used to it.

I don't mind guys in fierce baskets, but please don't pull body positions in the air! I like my guys on the ground, co-ed stunting!

There's a certain level of physical intimacy required during stunting that usually makes it uncomfortable at first for almost anybody. When I first started cheering and was instructed to put my hands on a stranger's butt and push, I wasn't all for the idea, but now it's just normal. So I think that discomfort is normal for any girl-girl, girl-boy, boy-girl, or boy-boy pair but you eventually get over it and do your job.

It is, however, a lot more difficult basing a guy. Granted, they usually have more muscle which enables them to hold their own weight better, but they're still naturally heavier than most girls and every time my (male) flyer cradled I felt like I got the wind knocked out of me. Needless to say it was not fun as a base - at all.

a guy on a team we consistently competed against last year was point flyer for EVERYTHING. baskets, partner stunts, everything. he was a beautiful flyer but for some reason it just didn't look right to me. guys are wonderful for baskets and extremely helpful for extra strentgh in pyramids, but when it comes to looking pretty in the air in elite stunt sections, it just doesn't look right IMO.

Oh i also love that Boy from ACE Thunderbirds . . . 2009 was his best Basket!

Back