All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Outside of the obvious, the biggest issue with this is the pure subjectivity of the requirement. We can't get judges to agree on...basically anything...related to a scoresheet..so how can we possibly expect consistently in enforcing what a "theatrical" movement would be? How do I tell my son you can do A but don't do B (for the record my son is always buried in the back for dance, he's a little rhythmically challenged so this would not be a rule he'd really have to worry about) but I think it opens the door for ridiculous subjectivity that can only be discriminatory at best and outright homophobic at worst.

I appreciate the fact my kids have never in their life "seen" color. Through our years with cheer, they don't see "orientation" either. I find it unfortunate that our sports governing body DOES see orientation, they could learn from my middle schoolers.

Is my son bullied at school for being a cheerleader....yes....every single day. Is he gay? No. Is that the number one thing he's called? Yes. But the bottom line is that requiring male cheerleaders to limit their excessive or theatrical behavior will NOT result in one less person bullying my kid.

It's not like the world will suddenly say, "oh! Male cheerleaders are not overly theatrical so therefore you are NOT a 'queerleader' carry on!" just because of this rule.

Why don't we try focusing on the real issues of sportsmanship, diversity and common human decency in a way that produces authentic conversations rather than telling our boys to not "act gay." smh.

Ok, I'm going to try to explain my thoughts on this. I honestly don't think the board was was trying to attack the gay cheerleader. I think that this guide only applies to very few of the boys in the industry. Think of it as Elton John works and Libarotchi doesn't. The "should be male and female appropriate" line I feel means boys should not be flying stunts and baskets. I wish there had been more explanation on the thinking behind these Image guides and I don't see that these are rules, just the boards opinion on how things should be.

Even if it was unintentional, and the error was not clarifying, it is too big of an error to make. Somebody should have been sensitive to the issue and picked up on it. I really think releasing the statement the way it was worded, regardless of intentions, was inexcusable! If they want to release a retraction, rewording, and apology, i am find with that!

I agree 100%! If All Star cheerleading had taught my family anything, it was acceptance of all types of people. Gay, straight or whatever! Now the very same organization is trying to bully people into acting a certain way ? It's appalling. Definitely the "rule" that offends me the most!

and if these males just ended the pass will a small little smile or had a straight face through the routine wouldnt be the same& to be honest the energy level of te routine would just go down! but girls can be as theatrical as we want...that makes sense! the sport is for girls AND boys, so make the rules fair and even for both sides.

The "should be male and female appropriate" line I feel means boys should not be flying stunts and baskets.

Why not allow boys to fly stunts and baskets? This is a can of worms, I know, but who is the USASF to tell me I can't?
If a team of girls can cheer and stunt together and not be labelled "lesbian", why do we call boys who do those same things "gay"? If you have the skills, WORK IT. More power to you.

also, everyone has a problem with boys flying. at our gym, we have a little boy who has a double full and an amazing athlete who is on higher level teams, plus he is a flyer! he is 10 years old and at most 60 pounds, hes a tiny boy! what do you expect him to do on any team besides like a tiny 1 where he could base! why would you not let hom be on a higher level team because he is little and only can fly. he earned his spot there and it doesnt matter if our center flyer is a boy or girl.

Ok, I'm going to try to explain my thoughts on this. I honestly don't think the board was was trying to attack the gay cheerleader. I think that this guide only applies to very few of the boys in the industry. Think of it as Elton John works and Libarotchi doesn't. The "should be male and female appropriate" line I feel means boys should not be flying stunts and baskets. I wish there had been more explanation on the thinking behind these Image guides and I don't see that these are rules, just the boards opinion on how things should be.
If a boy has crazy good body positions and CAN fly, why should be not be allowed to because he's a guy? If I want to max out my score sheet I want my best people in the air...if there's a boy who can bring it why should his gender make it not okay to do so? Why should I have to put up someone with less skills just because they wear a skirt? I think if anything is the textbook definition of "discrimination" that might be it.

i have read a couple times where people have said something about boys going up in tosses or stunts. i mean yes, if it's a stunt i mean i can kinda see where people are coming from but what if it's a teams only resort..? and I have to say that when a guy flys in a toss it is soo pretty. when i see a guy in a kick double my eyes just go right to them and it is normally the prettiest out of any of the tosses being thrown. IMO.

Ok honestley I've never been at a competition and said "wow that boy is too gay" and I watched a boy pull a tn pumas and point jump a triple toe tuck to a split and then vogue for the whole dance section then do the craziest shablam I have ever scene..it's all about performing and if that's who he is that's fine. I applaud because you worked it out and gave it everything you had
I know..right? Like how can you be too gay? Is that anything like too pregnant...I love everything about male cheerleaders..screw the USASF...I mean really!

Back