All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'd like to preface that I do NOT condone the idea or the wording of what they said, and I approve of the freedom to be who you are because you ARE beautiful, but I'm slowly coming to realize what they were trying to get at before they dropped something so horrendously vile on us.
I grew up with an extended family that isn't the...most polite when it comes to race or homosexuality. Not that they are racist or homophobic (they have several friends of different races/orientations), but they do make jokes or off-comments. Seeing as we are SO used to seeing guys work it out, we don't realize how it can appear to other people. If I showed two videos to my family to try to get them into cheer, one of a fierce guy vogueing in a dance, and one of a bunch of guys basing and tumbling, I can guarantee what video would get them interested. Maybe that makes them slightly terrible people, but I know they're not alone. Watching guys being essentially 'too gay' (which I assume is what they mean by 'theatrical'- overtly gay to the point of extreme femininity), can actually be intimidating to someone for whom the dancing/performing aspect isn't their thing. I know what they were TRYING to get at during the Doral meeting was having a place for BOTH the straight gents AND the gay ones, although I don't know how that means that gay guys can't be buff and tough? Maybe they thought (I'd LOVE to know who they polled for this grand idea): that by having theatricality be minimized, they could increase the participation of males by getting the guys, who they believed were being 'intimidated' by the super flamboyant nature of what routines have become, BACK into cheer.

AGAIN: I love seeing what everyone of all ages, races, genders and preferences bring to this fantastical sport. This was wrong, poorly thought out, and did NOTHING to achieve what I assume was their goal. I'm just trying to hazard a guess at where the HECK they were going with this..

wait.... Is this theatrics?
25103_376638444938_801819938_368161.jpg

What does everyone think about a lawyer doing anything with this now that its taken down??? Ive been working with someone over PM who had someone wanting to work on this, but whats everyones thoughts?

Stick with it, I dont trust them, it might be an "unwritten rule" I still cant get passed the fact that someone actually sat there and typed that out. No mistake in what their intention was.

Do you think it is possible that when they say sexual or flirtatious before it, that they are saying that males are overly exaggerating inappropriate motions, not necessarily being flamboyant?

I don't think there is anything a lawyer can do because i just thought of it in a different way then we all took and it could easily be construed to evoke a different meaning.

I was extremely offended by the statement. It took my son an entire year on a tiny team just to learn to smile during a routine...and he's a clown. So now, once he finally gets it, I have to tell him "dont wave your head too much when you smile"...and then tell his sister, "but you, you go out there and work it like there's no tomorrow". PUHHHLEEASSSE. Allstar cheerleading includes performance. Now you're going to control how someone can/can't perform? The stunts, dance, tumbling, etc is awesome, but the performance is just as important. The USASF knew EXACTLY what they were saying with this.If they didn't, they wouldn't have pulled it when the uproar started. I can't imagine an organization as large as the USASF doesn't have someone looking over things like this before they go public...and to be honest, it's the least they can do to acknowledge that maybe they have jumped the gun on quite a few things with these new rules and apologize for offending the masses. What a mess.

I think it's outrageous why should someone change the way they are just because of their gender. The same with the etiquette bit about keeping make up gender appropriate who gives a damn if a guy wants to wear make up? They have the freedom to do so, and what would they do if a girl didn't wear the make up since make up is obviously so feminine -.-

Do you think it is possible that when they say sexual or flirtatious before it, that they are saying that males are overly exaggerating inappropriate motions, not necessarily being flamboyant?

I don't think there is anything a lawyer can do because i just thought of it in a different way then we all took and it could easily be construed to evoke a different meaning.

It could be... but it STILL should not have singled out males.

What kills me is by USASF removing it they think they can just let it slide like nothing ever happened. USASF really should of thought about what they were saying before they published anything! That rule is absolutely absurd and I hope USASF Is completely ashamed of themselves. Like many others have said cheer has been an outlet for many people to be who they truly are. I hope everyone goes out on that worlds mat and shimmies their little hearts out like they never have before!

The addressing of Males stars with a capital letter, as does each "new point" in the above screen shot....Below, when an idea is carried through to a new line, it does not begin with a capital letter. This is why i disagree, but i think your point could be very successfully argued

The addressing of Males stars with a capital letter, as does each "new point" in the above screen shot....Below, when an idea is carried through to a new line, it does not begin with a capital letter. This is why i disagree, but i think your point could be very successfully argued
That is what I am thinking. None of us really know what the board was thinking when they created all of this. And if we think they are all stupid and would get easily pinned into something like that, then we are mistaken.

Also they could argue that they are trying to move to the sport into an area that highlights the SKILLS not the PERFORMANCE. This is evidenced by all of their other guidelines. This is supposed to more of an athletic sport instead of a performing art.

I think "sexual and flirtatious" does not translate to "exaggerated and theatrical". Especially considering that this section is under "Athletics" not "Attitude".
I think it is here because this section says the sport should be athletic.

I can easily take a thrusting motions and make it exaggerated and theatrical.

Maybe i'll get some people tonight at practice and make videos of what won't be allowed. It could be quite comical.

Back