High School Michigan High School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That is the weirdest competition format I have ever seen. I REALLLY don't like it.

How ever, your team was VERY sharp and soooooo together! Never seen a team that clean before! :jawdrop:

It looks like a drill team to me....even when they are stunting. It was probably the sharpest and cleanest routine I have ever seen though. But to me cheerleading is about showing you personality and while performing amazing skills. And there was no personality what so ever here.

ok so I keep seeing threads about the boy getting his team disqualified so I thought i'd clear some things up as I'm from michigan and have done high school cheer.

In michigan school cheer become a recognized sport by the MHSAA about 5 years ago. When they did this they completely changed competitive cheer. Boys were no longer allowed, no music is allowed, and it is split in to 3 rounds (middle school has 2 rounds). There are no divisions its just JV and Varsity. Sometimes they split it up by class (1-4) but this rarely happens besides at states. Teams are also not allowed to compete at any all star events and if you cheer all star you can not compete with your high school for 2 seasons. heres an example of what high school cheer is like (this is the state runner up by .04 points and my high school )

round 1 (this round is jumps)

round 2 (this round requires a mandatory 8 count of motions that every school performs along with jumps, flexibility skills, and 2 standing tumbling skills)

round 3 (stunting round)

I saw this type of routine in 2005 and I Tivo'd it and showed everyone I knew. As SHARP and clean as it all is, the cadence of the "cheer" and the weird tone of the girls voices are just too strange for my taste. It sounds like they are yelling in overly deep voices. And I can't understand even one word at all....I don't know if they're telling a story or if I'm supposed to hear some instructions to yell along.

However....
When I turn off the sound, I am in awe of their skills and crisp motions.

I saw this type of routine in 2005 and I Tivo'd it and showed everyone I knew. As SHARP and clean as it all is, the cadence of the "cheer" and the weird tone of the girls voices are just too strange for my taste. It sounds like they are yelling in overly deep voices. And I can't understand even one word at all....I don't know if they're telling a story or if I'm supposed to hear some instructions to yell along.

However....
yeh their cheer is basically a story. their theme is "super blue" which is why they have the Superman S on their round 2 uniforms and for Stevenson

However....
The voices are an interesting thing. They are kind of hard to hear in the video, but on score sheets, judges constantly write that teams need to have deeper, louder vocals, with more inflection. It's kind of weird at first, but when teams get on the mat that are really screechy, screaming, and singsongy, the weird deep vocals make sense.

mkatherine13 said:
The voices are an interesting thing. They are kind of hard to hear in the video, but on score sheets, judges constantly write that teams need to have deeper, louder vocals, with more inflection. It's kind of weird at first, but when teams get on the mat that are really screechy, screaming, and singsongy, the weird deep vocals make sense.

So the judges want young girls to yell like grown men?
I just can't get my ears around it. When I hear cheerleaders yelling I want to hear their natural voice but louder. No screeching please but no James Earl Jones impersonations are necessary either...

Though Illinois high school cheer is nothing like this all the top state teams here have voices similar to those. If I could get my team to have those motions and those voices we would have state in the bag. haha I think this format is very strange as i've said before and i kinda sort of like it but i'd never want to personally do it. I like the music and the dancing and actually having fun in my routine.

That is a vocal disaster waiting to happen. As a voice major I can tell you that that type of yelling is extremely unhealthy for your voice. My vocal coach often reminds me that as a cheerleader I should try and talk in an upper register as much as I can because putting so much pressure on you vocal chords by talking deep and loud can ultimately ruin your vocal chords.

That is a vocal disaster waiting to happen. As a voice major I can tell you that that type of yelling is extremely unhealthy for your voice. My vocal coach often reminds me that as a cheerleader I should try and talk in an upper register as much as I can because putting so much pressure on you vocal chords by talking deep and loud can ultimately ruin your vocal chords.
Yeah, there is one girl on my team who has been doing cheer like this since middle school, and she loses her voice about once a week...:confused:

Wow, that is strange. Never would have known that it was so different. Your team does have awesome skills though!
Has it changed the way everyone cheers for games?

it looks a little strange when everyone runs right off the mat as soon as they finish, do they need to be off right away or something? because you dont usually see teams sprinting off the mat the second they finish
yeah you're supposed to get off as soon as you finish

Back