All-Star Missing Practice!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Missing practice is a HUGE pet peeve of mine!!! I wish our gym was a bit stricter enforcing attendance policies, but sometimes I feel in wanting to not ruffle feathers, the feathers that get ruffled are the parents / kids who put cheer first.

I wish my kids were just all on the same commitment level, specifically my level 5's. I have 4 girls on my level 5 team that all drive a little over an hour. They NEVER miss a practice. I mean NEVER. Then I have girls who live 5 minutes down the road who always have an excuse. We've had one girl completely quit her competitive softball team so there we no conflicts, and several others who either quit HS cheer, or told their coaches that Allstar came first no matter what. We have a few kids who have SEVERAL vacations and other trips planned.
I've come to the conclusion that it's usually the people who travel the farthest who are there the most, because they wouldn't travel so far if they didn't ABSOLUTELY love it. All that gas money and extra expenses weed out the ones who are only there for kicks...I traveled the farthest for Open and I was always there. Also because I was spending my own money lol

I've come to the conclusion that it's usually the people who travel the farthest who are there the most, because they wouldn't travel so far if they didn't ABSOLUTELY love it. All that gas money and extra expenses weed out the ones who are only there for kicks...I traveled the farthest for Open and I was always there. Also because I was spending my own money lol

Thats very true. Me and a few of my other teamates travel about an hour and a half for practice, and never miss; but kids who live 5 minutes away do not show.

When my daughter first said she wanted to get into all-star cheer, I explained to her that it was going to be a major time commitment. I remember the first time the inevitable happened and a birthday party was scheduled the same night as a practice - my cp whined and my wife was ready to give in and let her go. And I sat my daughter down and explained that she had made a promise to her team to attend every practice she could. She'd be letting her teammates down if she didn't show up.

It wasn't cheer, but I know a story where a kid on a elite U14 soccer team kept missing practice, so the coach benched him and explained that if he didn't attend practice regularly that he'd be removed from the team. The parents of this kid were not happy at all - they basically said that because they paid for their kid to play on a competitive team (and he was obviously good enough to make a team) that the coaches had no right to keep him out of games, and they had to play him the 50% of the game required by the league. I even heard at one point they even threatened to sue, although I'm not sure anything came of it. I cannot imagine those are the only parents who think that way, but I would hope and pray they are few and far between.

i hate it when the captain of the team doesn't even bother calling the gym to say that their not coming and then dont get a fill!!!! and then they come to the next practice and act like they didnt even do anything! :mad:

I hate when people miss practices. I got up at 6 am today and drove about two and a half hours to my gym from a vacation for a 9 am practice. I was there on time, but others were late. I would hope others on my team would do this, but I doubt they would.

I will never again have an open team. 12 people out of 24 showing up to practice, and then they wonder why their spots have been filled or they have been moved to the back, or worse, they look a hot mess on the floor. Get over yourself people. You just let your team down because you needed a day off. Try being there five days a week.

I will never again have an open team. 12 people out of 24 showing up to practice, and then they wonder why their spots have been filled or they have been moved to the back, or worse, they look a hot mess on the floor. Get over yourself people. You just let your team down because you needed a day off. Try being there five days a week.

This was the team I was on last year. I drove an hour to practice and half the team just wouldn't be there or texted stupid excuses. It's ONE NIGHT A WEEK!

But we don't have that problem on my team this year, probably because we're all afraid of our coach. And, amazingly, after practice last night we decided we needed to add another practice before we compete this weekend, and we all agreed on Friday night, no complaints, no arguments, no compromises. I've never seen anything that easy on an open team.

uggghhhh I cant stand it when people are not at practice. We will put the kid on probation if they have an unexcused absence and if they miss the next practice they have a meeting with the coach and owner to discuss it and they sometimes are even removed from the team. Unless you have a fever or your throwing up constantly or caughing malaria all over the place you NEED to be at practice.

Yes, the excuse "something came up" does not work especially when the gym co-owner sees you at Outback that night while she is having dinner with her husband for their anniversary. Oooops. Betcha didn't think you would get caught!

i just wish everyone on the team would realize when one person misses practice for an illegitimate excuse it's hurting the team at practice & at competition. needing to go to forever 21 to buy a new top for their bestie's sweet 16 is not a legitimate excuse. come on susie, you have plenty of tops.

Bottom Line...its up to each gym & coaches on how much they will tolerate and we,as parents, just have to trust in the system that's in place. Unfortunately it shows in the routine, especially in stunts if people dont come to practice... and the ones that have the committment have to suffer! At this time in the season, there should be ZERO tolerance for missing practice but what can we do? I trust in our program & owners to make the best decisions on absences! And as much as I want to chew some parents out for allowing it, I cant....;)

Back