All-Star Most Competitive Division

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

omg, I bet you are right. I have asked so many people why there was never a split and no one knew. Sometimes the most logical answer escapes me!

I've seen small and large mini splits last season when CP was on mini 1. Small was always way more teams though.

I can see this division (and tiny's) being deep at every comp. I doubt there are very many teams in this age group with more than 20 kids (could you imagine coaching 25 tiny's on one team?) so I'm sure it never gets split into large and small.

I'd say L2 would be most "competitive" in any age group, because most of the teams have all mastered and are performing the same skills or variations of the same skills. Higher levels you can start separating technique and skill a little bit more.
CP's tiny team had 24 on it. Pretty sure four years later only six of them still cheer (and four of the six have parents who coach).

CP's tiny team had 24 on it. Pretty sure four years later only six of them still cheer (and four of the six have parents who coach).

CP's first team had well over 20 kids too, I'd have to go back and count but I wanna say it was close to 30. To my knowledge, only she and one other still cheer. Our current gym has a large Tiny team and when CP was actively competing in that division I saw just as many large Tiny teams as I did small. I would say 14-16 was average, but there definitely were enough to split the divisions evenly at a few of the comps we went to that had a lot of entries.

@SarahS and @SL&AM, I was just wondering, do you think upping the Tinys age affected the numbers?

I noticed when my daughter started cheering 4 years ago, there were many more Mini teams and her 1st gym, did not have a Tiny team, but fast forward 5 years, now this gym has both a Tiny 1 and a Tiny exhibition teams with full membership on both teams...

@SarahS and @SL&AM, I was just wondering, do you think upping the Tinys age affected the numbers?

I noticed when my daughter started cheering 4 years ago, there were many more Mini teams and her 1st gym, did not have a Tiny team, but fast forward 5 years, now this gym has both a Tiny 1 and a Tiny exhibition teams with full membership on both teams...

Honestly, I'll get back to you at the end of this season because I'm actually watching this division now---not just locally, but where we came from. What I thought when I first saw the change was how much more competitive that division was going to become...competitive Mini LVL 1 teams are common and it seems like it's been a trickle down effect from the older divisions in the gym to the youngers; now the Tiny division is completely, 100% stackable. Granted there is nothing to stack for besides rings, banners, and trophies since they're not Summit eligible, but it's an interesting dynamic change.

I think any good program (that is a larger program) should have a solid Tiny/Mini department. These kids are your bread and butter in terms of moldability, eager/naive parents, and even if they don't stay in the sport long term, they spent a good chunk of change while it lasted. In fact, the gym CP started out with fielded a mini team (the program was established with just a youth & senior team) because so many parents wanted to put their younger kids into it and I'm fairly confident that first year Mini team had more kids on it than Senior's and Youth combined.

The gym we did half-season with had a team of 22-25 Tiny kids (exhibition only) after try-outs, where we currently are so a Mini 1, Tiny 1, and Tiny Exhibition. Do I think the age grid change has effected this, no because the change is so new but I definitely think it's changed the way coaches and owners look at that division and it'll be interesting to compare stories at the end of the season.

I've only seen one "stacked" tiny team this year. Besides that one, tiny teams have been pretty standard for tiny teams in the past, although now that I think about it, I've only seen one tiny team with only five kids, and that was a tiny exhibition team, so... Please excuse that horridly long run-on sentence. I think maybe the age bump has allowed for slightly larger numbers of kids on tiny teams, but I haven't personally seen much evidence of it changing the fundamental competitiveness (or lack thereof) in the division. I'm not really familiar with teams in this area, though, since we just moved here about six months ago, so any differences (to me) may be attributable to regional differences in how tiny teams are utilized rather than the age change.

That's weird they don't combine it.. I know unless there is two of each they are always combined here.
But then again it isn't a super popular division! If y'all get a bid to summit we will get to see you guys there!! Good luck this season!!!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Competition Schedule just came out for the bid comp we are going to next weekend...and we found out there is another Large Senior Restricted Coed 5 that we will be competing against, so that was a surprise and it's a good gym! So now there is three that I know of in the state of Florida

Not to derail, but I was wondering what are the least competitive divisions?

I think the least competitive division is any division where only 1 team is competing in it. This is pretty common with upper level prep teams, as an example, in the senior division from our experiences with our original gym.

I would think that the open divisions would be the least competitive.

I'm not sure I agree with you here; Open 4 yes because of a lack of teams, but IOC 5 & 6 are World's eligible and then they're up against literally the entire world. They may not have a ton in their division locally, but when it comes to the big competitions---eek!

I'm not sure I agree with you here; Open 4 yes because of a lack of teams, but IOC 5 & 6 are World's eligible and then they're up against literally the entire world. They may not have a ton in their division locally, but when it comes to the big competitions---eek!
Yeah I totally agree, I was just thinking about the open teams in my area who really don't have much competition expected for NCA and Worlds. But the open division is one of my favorite Worlds divisions I know and love how fiercely competitive it is.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I think for the PNW area (mostly going off of what what teams each gym has - we haven't hard a "large" competition yet) I'm going to say J2 and S2. For grand champs/Summit bids especially.

Although I agree that J3 is probably the most competitive division to compete at nationally.

Back