All-Star Nca 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Response from Justin Carrier on Twitter:

1. 200 teams didn't get in to NCA last year bc registration closed in 45 min. Parents were mad at gym owners bc they thought it was their fault

2. These changes aren't ideal for every person, but they are gonna help a lot of gyms whose businesses suffered last year because we were full.

Translation: $$$$$$$$$$!! And as long as parents keep paying for it and going along, nothing will change.

And let's not forget cheersport the weekend before. If your gym travels to both comps.. That's a long 2 weeks of closed gym time, traveling and angry(broke) parents. Some could be flying in from cheersport Monday and hopping on a flight Thursday for Dallas and flying back out on Tuesday [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically if you want that triple crown of Cheersport, UCA, and NCA, you are really going to be paying for it. I seriously hope that parents speak up about this and that gym owners reconsider pushing their school age athletes to miss so much school. But who am I kidding. Won't happen as long as Suzy and her mom have big dreams and are willing to pay for it.

Translation: $$$$$$$$$$!! And as long as parents keep paying for it and going along, nothing will change.

As a parent who might have to pay, it's frustrating. It's not that I don't WANT to attend...I'm sure it's a great competition. There are lots of great competitions, though, and all the wanting in the world isn't going to create the money I need to pay for them. Anyway, my options are few and my daughter loves her gym. She only has three years left and I'll likely have to suck it up and pay (as long as I can, without too great a sacrifice). If I don't let my kid go, things won't change, she'll just be replaced. [emoji17]

As a parent who might have to pay, it's frustrating. It's not that I don't WANT to attend...I'm sure it's a great competition. There are lots of great competitions, though, and all the wanting in the world isn't going to create the money I need to pay for them. Anyway, my options are few and my daughter loves her gym. She only has three years left and I'll likely have to suck it up and pay (as long as I can, without too great a sacrifice). If I don't let my kid go, things won't change, she'll just be replaced. [emoji17]

I get that and it is so frustrating.

I wish there was a way to petition governing bodies about creating rules for missing school for athletes still in high school for cheer related issues. However the enforcement of this likely would be a huge issue. Would be nice, but it won't happen. :(

Not true. For a Sat/Sun comp, one can leave after school on Friday and leave after comp on Sunday. No school days missed. We do that with any competitions within a 6 hour drive. Worst case scenario, if they have practice on Friday night, we do a half day of school on Friday (still counted there all day for us). If they perform late on Sunday, we can still drive home after and she just misses Monday. Now, we have done Friday/Monday off competitions for ones that are further away from us. We would def have to do it for NCA. NCA isn't within driving distance for us but I'm sure it is for plenty.

On another note, I hope to God that our gym decides not to go in 2017. The cost of this comp alone burns me up. Most expensive one we've ever encountered. Can we boycott? Big name gyms have pulled all of their teams from this comp before.
There is no way we could do what you are suggesting....we fly in from NY. As a level 5 competing Sunday & Monday We would have to fly on Friday (with feb weather can't risk flying in Saturday of flights are cancelled etc. so pray that there is a late flight Friday (but still means leaving school early best case scenario to get to airport). Then no way you can fly out Monday night because you don't know what time you compete Monday when you book your flights. So my daughter would be missing partial day Friday, Monday & Tuesday. It's aggravating.

exactly! and what's 200 gyms, times how every many athletes on each team, times entry fees for athletes, times entry fees for parents and other family = MILLIONS of dollars is my guess.
There is no way we could do what you are suggesting....we fly in from NY. As a level 5 competing Sunday & Monday We would have to fly on Friday (with feb weather can't risk flying in Saturday of flights are cancelled etc. so pray that there is a late flight Friday (but still means leaving school early best case scenario to get to airport). Then no way you can fly out Monday night because you don't know what time you compete Monday when you book your flights. So my daughter would be missing partial day Friday, Monday & Tuesday. It's aggravating.

we do this for competitions w/in a 6 hour driving distance. no way we could do it if we had to fly somewhere. it is aggravating. we would have to fly for NCA so we would be in the same boat. praying we don't go. i'd rather not be eligible for the "triple crown" than waste a ton of money and time away from school. not worth it in my opinion.

The one time my gym was going to go to Cheersport, we were told we had to be in Atlanta on Thursday, which meant leaving Wednesday. I would've missed Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Monday. My mom would've missed almost a week of work, aka not possible. Just because you only compete two days doesn't make it possible to not miss school.

Its refreshing to see people care about missing school. I teach in a heavy indian populated community. Parents will un-enroll their students for a few months to take them to India for 2-3 months to visit family. Then when they come back, they get mad their child has to stay back.

I hope we don't go next year. We sent one team this season (my cp was on) and the coach REALLY wanted to take them again because they almost won last year. So, she let parents vote.
If she lets us vote again you can bet I'll vote NO this time around.

I hope we don't go next year. We sent one team this season (my cp was on) and the coach REALLY wanted to take them again because they almost won last year. So, she let parents vote.
If she lets us vote again you can bet I'll vote NO this time around.
Be sure to tell people why you're voting no.

We attended NCA for the first time this season. I'm not a fan. I hope we never go back honestly. Way to $$$ and too many days. Scoring was very different from Cheersport and with there only being 1 week before not much time to adjust to the style each prefers. It was just too much for us.

Now Cheersport, I adore Cheersport. And it helps that it is only a 5 hour drive away for us instead of a plane ride like NCA. So I'm very happy for our gym to stick with Cheersport and UCA.

Couple of questions for this board:
1. Does anyone know or recall the price to park a car at the convention center during NCA 2016?
2. Since it is stay-to-play, does the gym provide the Connections Housing coordinator with a preferred list of hotels, does the coordinator just designate a block of rooms at any hotel from the list, or is there room to negotiate?

Couple of questions for this board:
1. Does anyone know or recall the price to park a car at the convention center during NCA 2016?
2. Since it is stay-to-play, does the gym provide the Connections Housing coordinator with a preferred list of hotels, does the coordinator just designate a block of rooms at any hotel from the list, or is there room to negotiate?
I too wondered about this. Haven't heard of any gyms receiving the connected Omni hotel block, yet, its completed blocked out

I too wondered about this. Haven't heard of any gyms receiving the connected Omni hotel block, yet, its completed blocked out

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the rooms are blocked for the staff at NCA. I highly doubt they have enough staff to block out the entire hotel, but probably a good chunk.

Pretty sure the hotels you are assigned are determined by how long you have been attending NCA and how many teams you are bringing. The big gyms that have been going forever get the Omni and other close hotels. The first year we attended we were assigned a hotel at the airport. Second year we were a little bit closer, but still had to drive and park. This year...we aren't going!

Back