New Cheer Coach: Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 10, 2013
Hello Everyone!

Well I have been a high school cheer coach for two years, and this upcoming year I will be taking over the entire program. I want to make the program and team strong and fun for the cheerleaders and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for practices, football games, fundraising, organization or anything else.

My main question to any experienced coaches is whether to have try outs open to the public or closed? I want the process to be transparent as possible and I am torn which way to go about this.
Thanks!

Definitely closed to the public. Open tryouts add way too much stress for the girls. Release a copy of the scoresheet on your website prior to tryouts so they know ahead of time what they will be judged on. Having too much transparency can lead to hurt feelings in teenage girls. Offer to talk one on one with the girls who do not make the team about how they can improve for next year. Post tryout results by numbers, not names. Post them on a Friday night if possible so the girls who get cut have the weekend to recover. Good luck with your program!

For sure closed. Kids are nervous enough having to perform in front of you, they really don't want a crowd watching just for fun. For transparency, be very open about what you are looking for, but also make it clear that you will pick a team that is best for the team. For example, if you say tops must be flexible, and cut someone who is, they'll wonder why, even if you have 20 possible gumby tops. Make it clear how many spots you have for each position (base, back, flyers) and that you are picking hopefully not only on skill but also on how well the group works together, attitude, etc. and whatever else you're looking for. Also, give the kids a time and place to see if you they have questions on why they didn't make a team. Good luck

If you want to make sure things are fair, instead of holding open try-outs, select a panel of judges. That way it's not your decision alone and no one can say you were being biased. Ask some local all-star/rec coaches, teachers, gymnastics instructors etc.

Back