Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
Disney is creating a new venue at WWS specifically designed for cheer and dance. Anyone else see this?

Cheerleading and dance venue coming to Wide World of Sports

It appears Disney is responding to the fact that major cheer comps at WWS are over capacity. Any thoughts? Anyone have a suggestion for the name of a new venue?

Anyone interested that Varsity is doubling down on not moving Worlds from Disney and solidifying their partnership with the mouse?

I was surprised this wasn't already a major topic- it's been blowing up my newsfeed.

I mean, with the amount of cheer comps there alone (not just worlds) it's nice that they're finally taking the amount of spectators who want to come down SPECIFICALLY for these events into consideration. Plus, the Mouse can now double-book events in the Milkhouse and whatever this one becomes. Also it'll concentrate the cheerleaders to one place so we're not so scattered.

I like what it'll do, I hate how we'll still be tied to Mickey for the foreseeable future.

I was surprised this wasn't already a major topic- it's been blowing up my newsfeed.

I mean, with the amount of cheer comps there alone (not just worlds) it's nice that they're finally taking the amount of spectators who want to come down SPECIFICALLY for these events into consideration. Plus, the Mouse can now double-book events in the Milkhouse and whatever this one becomes. Also it'll concentrate the cheerleaders to one place so we're not so scattered.

I like what it'll do, I hate how we'll still be tied to Mickey for the foreseeable future.

While I know how expensive disney can be for many families, part of me is happy that atleast worlds is there. I think if cheer continues to grow outside the US like it is and international teams get more competitive, we will have more of a need to accomodate non english speaking athletes and spectators and Disney can handle that well. I'm not saying other places can't but I know Disney prides itself on being able to accomodate those international guests. I think that's the biggest pro Disney has going for it.

I'm excited to see how this new venue will turn out though. What does a "cheer venue" even look like? :p Hopefully this means this will the the last year (or two) out on the baseball field with kids competing at midnight.

Last edited:
Disney is creating a new venue at WWS specifically designed for cheer and dance. Anyone else see this?

It appears Disney is responding to the fact that major cheer comps at WWS are over capacity. Any thoughts? Anyone have a suggestion for the name of a new venue?

Anyone interested that Varsity is doubling down on not moving Worlds from Disney and solidifying their partnership with the mouse?

I think they should name it The Justin Carrier Center for the Performing Arts ;) @ASCheerMan

I hope the new building is big enough - I would have preferred the seating capacity to be larger given the specatator demand at Worlds. It's long overdue and is the only way continuing the contract with Disney makes sense. Disney is a great location especially given the international teams who attend, and if you are resourceful you can actually attend Worlds on a decent budget.

I saw this shortly after it popped up and I'm excited for Disney because it's more growth, opportunities and employment; but I'm not 100% sold on the idea of Disney being the central hub of cheerleading. I do think Disney offers a unique skill set and an infrastructure that can handle the mass both domestically and internationally, but I also think it pigeon holes the sport a bit because of the location. Ultimately I hope it alleviates a lot of the issues at World's as far as overcrowding is concerned.

I do wonder if this will lead to a combination of Cheer and Dance in the future; at this point, cheer gets the Wide World and Dance gets Epcot. With this new facility are they hoping to move it all together? Will be interesting to see.

I saw this shortly after it popped up and I'm excited for Disney because it's more growth, opportunities and employment; but I'm not 100% sold on the idea of Disney being the central hub of cheerleading. I do think Disney offers a unique skill set and an infrastructure that can handle the mass both domestically and internationally, but I also think it pigeon holes the sport a bit because of the location. Ultimately I hope it alleviates a lot of the issues at World's as far as overcrowding is concerned.

I do wonder if this will lead to a combination of Cheer and Dance in the future; at this point, cheer gets the Wide World and Dance gets Epcot. With this new facility are they hoping to move it all together? Will be interesting to see.

According to the article, it says it will be one large competition venue that can be broken up to make, at most, 4 smaller competition venues. So I'm assuming it will act like "halls". Hopefully this is the case and then the entirety of Worlds (cheer and dance) will be kept together in mostly one area. You could have 4 teams competeing at once with one being a dance hall. With good scheduling (e.g. scheduling the most popular teams to compete at the same time in different halls) they could potentially avoid over crowding inthe halls. I'm also hoping that Varsity realizes that Large Senior and Large Coed draw a big enough crowd that trying to fit them in one hall would not work and they'd consider using the Milk House for for a couple hours to accomodate those division finals.

"Hope" is the key word here in all of this. This idea looks like it could be great for Worlds (and other cheer comps, of course) if they do it correctly.

Last edited:
According to the article, it says it will be one large competition venue that can be broken up to make, at most, 4 smaller competition venues. So I'm assuming it will act like "halls". Hopefully this is the case and then the entirety of Worlds (cheer and dance) will be kept together in mostly one area. You could have 4 teams competeing at once with one being a dance hall. With good scheduling (e.g. scheduling the most popular teams to compete at the same time in different halls) they could potentially avoid over crowding inthe halls. I'm also hoping that Varsity realizes that Large Senior and Large Coed draw a big enough crowd that trying to fit them in one hall would not work and they'd consider using the Milk House for for a couple hours to accomodate those division finals.

"Hope" is the key word here in all of this. This idea looks like it could be great for Worlds (and other cheer comps, of course) if they do it correctly.
I don't see how this would work for Worlds. The article states the new venue will seat 8,000. The fieldhouse seats 5,000, which is no way enough with only one competition floor. Even taking large coed and large all girl out of the equation, there wasn't enough seating capacity for the other divisions. I have waited a minimum of an hour in line outside to see my kids compete because the fieldhouse was at capacity and they are in different divisions. There is no way they could have more than one floor going on in the same venue. I think it is a mistake not to have a minimum of 10,000 for seating capacity.

Dance has outgrown the Epcot venue. USASF announced in September that Dance Worlds is being held in the Coronado Springs ballrooms this year, which hold a total of 4000 spectators. (Epcot only held 1200) Hopefully dance can be moved into WWOS at some point. It doesn't feel as special being held in a hotel ballroom.

I don't see how this would work for Worlds. The article states the new venue will seat 8,000. The fieldhouse seats 5,000, which is no way enough with only one competition floor. Even taking large coed and large all girl out of the equation, there wasn't enough seating capacity for the other divisions. I have waited a minimum of an hour in line outside to see my kids compete because the fieldhouse was at capacity and they are in different divisions. There is no way they could have more than one floor going on in the same venue. I think it is a mistake not to have a minimum of 10,000 for seating capacity.
That was the first thing that jumped out at me. I know for Worlds they are already over capacity at the baseball field which is close to 13,000 capacity if memory serves me. I know they really can't build a venue for one weekend but it should at least be convertible to accommodate larger events. 8000 seems like a small capacity for as large of a building as they are building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My take on this is that they're building for the division and not for the spectators. Sure, the divisions themselves may have just enough, BUT I think what they're failing to accept is that these events are now something people travel to and watch even if they don't have a kid competing. There needs to be some consideration for those who are there simply to spectate versus those who are there because they have a child competing. I write this as my CP and DP still argue over which weekend we're attending---Cheerleading World's, Cheer Summit or Dance Summit. I told them to pick one and you would have thought I asked them to duel it out Hunger Games style.

I personally think it should be dedicated to Herkie because of his passing last year and just how important that man was to the sport. Although if this were in Europe then I'd say name it after the late Steve Walls as he was monumental in getting cheerleading to the UK and by extension Europe as he was an instigator in the ECU.

Back