All-Star New! Varsity Scoring Updates For '12 - '13

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While I agree with the need for universal scoresheets, couldn't you do a jump BWO bhs and satisfy both scoresheets? No pause to satisfy varsity and appropriate level skills for cheersport?

I'm not sure that Cheersport would count that as a jump "connected" to level appropriate tumbling. Maybe someone on here who judges for Cheersport would know.

Ok, I apologize for the contradiction, but I'm going to change my answer given meetings that have taken place over the last 48 hours.

FIERCEBOARD EXCLUSIVE:
Level 1 Jump/Tumbling Combination example includes toe touch back walkover or a front hurdler forward roll.
Level 2 Standing Tumbling HIGH subrange will no longer call for a jump backhandspring combination.

These clarifications will be addressed in the updated Scoring system being posted today.
But the cheersport score sheet does call for jump to tumbling (with the pause) to max out level two, correct? Just trying to wrap my head around the differences in the two grids.

I'm not sure that Cheersport would count that as a jump "connected" to level appropriate tumbling. Maybe someone on here who judges for Cheersport would know.

I thought a year or two ago Cheersport put out a series of short web video that talked about their scoring and gave examples of what was needed to max out on the score sheet in various categories. I swear that video specifically used level 2 as the example category for jumps and said you had to do a "jump, pause, bhs" to max out. If the team did "jump/bwo" that would not max out because a bwo is not standing level appropriate tumbling. Of course I can't find the video now, so it is possible that I am remembering incorrectly or that their scoring has changed.

I thought a year or two ago Cheersport put out a series of short web video that talked about their scoring and gave examples of what was needed to max out on the score sheet in various categories. I swear that video specifically used level 2 as the example category for jumps and said you had to do a "jump, pause, bhs" to max out. If the team did "jump/bwo" that would not max out because a bwo is not standing level appropriate tumbling. Of course I can't find the video now, so it is possible that I am remembering incorrectly or that their scoring has changed.

That's what I remember as well

Ok, I apologize for the contradiction, but I'm going to change my answer given meetings that have taken place over the last 48 hours.

FIERCEBOARD EXCLUSIVE:
Level 1 Jump/Tumbling Combination example includes toe touch back walkover or a front hurdler forward roll.
Level 2 Standing Tumbling HIGH subrange will no longer call for a jump backhandspring combination.

These clarifications will be addressed in the updated Scoring system being posted today.

Just read the update, a toe touch forward roll in both levels 1 and 2 satisfies the jump/tumble connections, but the jump pause bhs wouldn't.

So the bhs series in level 2 is the only correction made?

According to this, if a level 2 team does squad toe touch forward rolls and squad hurdler back walkovers they should score in the high range

I believe this is correct, since a bwo is a level 1 skill; however, I do believe you can max at Cheersport with toe touch (or other jump) to dive roll, bhs because dive rolls are not allowed at level 1 making it a level appropriate tumbling connected to a jump. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And, would this combination also satisfy the high range on the varsity score sheet?

Without a single bhs in the routine
That sounds right for jumps and standing tumbling but youd have to have bhs in running tumbling.

Ive watched that cheersport video a few times, it did mention jumps to tumbling as I recall but it was morea tutorial in how to max out stunts based on the ratio of team members and how to count total stunts (that's what I remember of it)

Without a single bhs in the routine

You would still need the bhs to max for standing tumbling and in running tumbling passes right? The way this score sheet is written it just looks like you can max the jump section with the jump/tumbling connection using level 1 skills.

You would still need the bhs to max for standing tumbling and in running tumbling passes right? The way this score sheet is written it just looks like you can max the jump section with the jump/tumbling connection using level 1 skills.
I think you're right on target.

I would be hesitant to speculate about what is expected at CHEERSPORT until they release their updated system for this season. We worked hand in hand with CHEERSPORT on most of these and are striving to be similar and not create challenges for coaches from week to week.
On that note, click HERE for the updated Level 2 Scoring Guidelines. A jump/tumbling combination is no longer required/expected or even needed to score in the HIGH subrange.

I would be hesitant to speculate about what is expected at CHEERSPORT until they release their updated system for this season. We worked hand in hand with CHEERSPORT on most of these and are striving to be similar and not create challenges for coaches from week to week.
On that note, click HERE for the updated Level 2 Scoring Guidelines. A jump/tumbling combination is no longer required/expected or even needed to score in the HIGH subrange.
I think it is so great that you take feedback and apply it. Kudos to you and your organization. We are adding two varsity events in this season. Very excited for it!!

That's promising!

That sounds right for jumps and standing tumbling but youd have to have bhs in running tumbling.

Ive watched that cheersport video a few times, it did mention jumps to tumbling as I recall but it was morea tutorial in how to max out stunts based on the ratio of team members and how to count total stunts (that's what I remember of it)

Most of the athletes participate in multiple level appropriate skills.Level 2 Appropriate Skills include:
Single bhs, backwalkover bhs combinations, toe touch forward roll, back walkover toe touch, etc.

Multiple level appropriate skills which as listed specifically include toe touch forward rolls and back walkover toe touches (which are level 1 skills) So to get into the high range of Standing Tumbling in Level 2 you according to this could just do toe touch forward rolls and back walkover toe touches and score in the high range without doing an actual level 2 skill, since according to this you would be doing Multiple level appropriate skills (even though these are both allowed at level 1)

I assume this is an oversight from the jump/tumble connection issues that will be corrected.

I am thinking the best thing for level 2 would be jump bw bhs since it incorporates the level 2 skill without making it illegal at level 2 and with no pause. Now if my kids were to do a jump into a backwalkover, how would you land your jump? With your feet apart to prepare for the backwalkover? Or are teams doing more of backbend kickovers??

Reactions: VTX
Back