All-Star Open Level 4

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our gym went to Jamz in Vegas this year and we saw a few open 4 teams, it was so fun watching them! That was the first time I have seen open 4 teams [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We say as an industry if your level 5 and graduate or age out than there's a place for you but hey level 3 & 4 athlete whose given us years of time, energy, finances and support you should go ahead and take up yoga or spinning...why?

It makes no sense especially since the average cheerleader ages out around Level 3 or 4.

Level 5s (believe it or not) are the 1% of cheerleading.

The only thing I can think of is that in many (most?) cases, an open team makes no money for the gym. In fact, they usually cost the gym money. At least with an open team in a worlds division you're maybe getting some more exposure for your gym, but that's not very likely to be the case with Open 4.

But what you have to understand is that once the level of athlete changes so might the circumstances that go along with the situation...

I would imagine that there are quite a few level 5 kids across the industry who were either scholarshipped or whose parents spent thousands of dollars going to premier competitions, chasing bids and getting new practice wear and uniforms for reveals and debuts, etc.

For some this would be a completely different clientele and market and I would wager that 17+ year old level 3-restricted athletes are in a higher abundance than their level 5 peers.

does anyone have a list of gyms currently fielding or planning on having an open 4 team for the next season (16-17) I am 19 and my old gym that I just graduated from does not have any open teams at all and I would love to keep cheering.

My open 4 team was a complete joke... None of us really wanted to be there anymore after the first competition but we all still stuck around.... We weren't very good and half the time we wouldn't even stay the whole two hours of practice.
Brandon (a hour away) attempted to start Steel back up again but as level 4, but they fizzled out too due to lack of commitment and conflicting practice/competition times since a lot of them (and our teammates) are coaches at other gyms.

Sadly, this experience made me ready to retire. Also due to the fact that I'm moving and there's no open teams were I'm moving and I don't want to cheer at the college I'm going to lol

But what you have to understand is that once the level of athlete changes so might the circumstances that go along with the situation...

I would imagine that there are quite a few level 5 kids across the industry who were either scholarshipped or whose parents spent thousands of dollars going to premier competitions, chasing bids and getting new practice wear and uniforms for reveals and debuts, etc.

For some this would be a completely different clientele and market and I would wager that 17+ year old level 3-restricted athletes are in a higher abundance than their level 5 peers.

Maybe. But I've been on my fair share of level 6 teams (before Open 4 existed) including multiple that would be prime candidates for Open 4 who had no shot of going to worlds and they were just as broke as the worlds one I did. They're still usually broke college kids and the fact that they're not as talented doesn't mean they're more likely to have the money or get help from their parents.

Last edited:
I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion, and I see both sides, but I think any "International" division should be a worlds division. I understand completely why people want to keep worlds just 5/6, but if worlds really is the world championships it needs to represent all international divisions. Plus, realistically, I think international teams would actually far WAY better in an O4 division, and I think it would really contribute to the growth of the sport. I know many European cheerleaders tend to start when they're older and they also tend to have troubles getting level appropriate tumbling (I mean, a full isn't really even level appropriate for level 5 any more), so realistically a 14+ division that's level 4 is something more international teams would be likely to be able to be competitive in.

Maybe we could finally start getting trials/semi-finals for more countries.

I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion, and I see both sides, but I think any "International" division should be a worlds division. I understand completely why people want to keep worlds just 5/6, but if worlds really is the world championships it needs to represent all international divisions. Plus, realistically, I think international teams would actually far WAY better in an O4 division, and I think it would really contribute to the growth of the sport. I know many European cheerleaders tend to start when they're older and they also tend to have troubles getting level appropriate tumbling (I mean, a full isn't really even level appropriate for level 5 any more), so realistically a 14+ division that's level 4 is something more international teams would be likely to be able to be competitive in.

Maybe we could finally start getting trials/semi-finals for more countries.
I wish I can give infinity likes for this statement!

Then bring them to The Summit. A level 4 team doesn't belong at worlds just because it's an international division.
I am currently contemplating trying out for an open 4 team and I hope they start bringing them to the summit soon. Of course the summit isnt a deciding factor on whether I try out but it would be nice to have the opportunity to compete at that comp again. I am hoping that once this division starts to grow which by the looks of all the gyms having tryouts for them it is getting there that summit will allow us to attend.

Then bring them to The Summit. A level 4 team doesn't belong at worlds just because it's an international division.

I think if we want to see more of an international presence at these end-of-the-year competitions, Worlds would be a better place for IO4 teams. Traveling to Worlds is a huge expense for people outside of the US. I will venture a guess and say that IO5 and 6 teams come from gyms that also field (or have the capability of fielding) IO4 teams. Logistically speaking, it would cost gyms less time and money to bring all of their IO teams to one event.

does anyone have a list of gyms currently fielding or planning on having an open 4 team for the next season (16-17) I am 19 and my old gym that I just graduated from does not have any open teams at all and I would love to keep cheering.

I just saw Rams Allstars in Hackensack, Nj is fielding an open 4 team this coming season.

I just saw Rams Allstars in Hackensack, Nj is fielding an open 4 team this coming season.
Southern Maine Cheer Katz in Sanford ME is fielding an Open 4 team. Right now its an exhibition team because its a first year thing. We will only be exhibitioning at friends and family and maybe a couple invitational comps :)

Back