All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is it common for judges not to notice touch downs? At a competition this weekend we saw a team that had 2 touch downs and were told they recieved 0 deductions. One of the touch outs I felt was rather obvious as the girl landed on her butt. Does this happen at competitions often?

Last edited:
Is it common for judges not to notice touch outs? At a competition this weekend we saw a team that had 2 touch outs and were told they recieved 0 deductions. One of the touch outs I felt was rather obvious as the girl landed on her butt. Does this happen at competitions often?
As in touch downs? Or out of bounds? For out of bounds both feet have to be off of the "competition boundary" which is the entire floor and the border (not just inside the white line) so what seems like OOB may not really be. As far as touch downs, judges sometimes miss things but they're usually pretty good about it... Maybe they are just saying they didn't get deductions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the confusion I meant touch downs. Maybe what I saw was wrong or the judges were just having a rough day.

Sorry for the confusion I meant touch downs. Maybe what I saw was wrong or the judges were just having a rough day.

When you have a jump formation of up to 36 athletes it's not always easy to see if someone touched out or not. Same with running tumbling, there can be a lot going on at once and if it's a really small touch out it might not get noticed. I know I've had routines where the judges didn't catch someone's touch out.

I'm taking my usasf certification this summer at the Atlanta conference...never done it before (I want to get it done for levels 1-3) so I have a lot of questions! Can I do all 3 levels at once? How is the testing done? I know a few things but I just want someones experience from it so I know what to expect! If you can't tell tests/certifications scare me lol

We have had touchdowns go unnoticed as a team, but I kind of feel bad when they miss them but usually I look and our score would of still won with the touch down every time I've known we had one that wasn't seen.

On the same token I know touchdowns were missed on other teams that affected an NCA placement (not ours) but I remember telling the coach of that team that I was friends with that the team that beat him DID have a TD so they should not have had 0 deductions thus beating them. And the coach replied to me, that happens but we could of been better so it's nothing but our fault. We had issues ourselves!!

I was sooo impressed! I know I would have been a little bitter lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm taking my usasf certification this summer at the Atlanta conference...never done it before (I want to get it done for levels 1-3) so I have a lot of questions! Can I do all 3 levels at once? How is the testing done? I know a few things but I just want someones experience from it so I know what to expect! If you can't tell tests/certifications scare me lol
Yes, you can test for all levels at the same time. You'll start with level 1 and go from there.

Prior to the meeting you'll need to take the online tests in the areas you're getting credentialed in. That part is mostly rules (from what I remember)- keep your rules and glossary handy if you're not super comfortable with them. You'll also need to do an online concussion course and a test that goes along with it.

The in person test made me SO nervous but most of the people there want you to pass (unless you're blatantly clueless) and will sort of help you through some of it if they can tell you're nervous or if you have a good start to the answer but haven't given them exactly what they need to hear. You are being tested by other coaches.

One thing that put me off a bit was that the people giving the test seemed to need VERY specific answers. A few of the other coaches from my gym and I all went through our tests at the same time with different administrators and all had similar experiences of being told that there's only one way to execute a skill... For example, when I was doing level 2 stunts, my test administrator told me that the ONLY way to do a level 2 inversion is a handstand over the back spots shoulders. Clearly that's not the only way to do it. Very strange but she definitely guided me to her correct answer.

I personally don't know anyone who has failed their credentialing.

Prior to the meeting you'll need to take the online tests in the areas you're getting credentialed in. That part is mostly rules (from what I remember)- keep your rules and glossary handy if you're not super comfortable with them. You'll also need to do an online concussion course and a test that goes along with it.

The in person test made me SO nervous but most of the people there want you to pass (unless you're blatantly clueless) and will sort of help you through some of it if they can tell you're nervous or if you have a good start to the answer but haven't given them exactly what they need to hear. You are being tested by other coaches.

One thing that put me off a bit was that the people giving the test seemed to need VERY specific answers. A few of the other coaches from my gym and I all went through our tests at the same time with different administrators and all had similar experiences of being told that there's only one way to execute a skill... For example, when I was doing level 2 stunts, my test administrator told me that the ONLY way to do a level 2 inversion is a handstand over the back spots shoulders. Clearly that's not the only way to do it. Very strange but she definitely guided me to her correct answer.

I personally don't know anyone who has failed their credentialing.

Yup, they do have specific things you need to say in order to pass (leg is locked out in lib, etc.). If you don't say it though, they'll prompt by asking - what is the flyer's standing leg doing? to make sure you know. They seem scary before you start, but they'r actually not bad i you've coached before. And since you're going for level 3 and need hours to do that, I'm going to assume you've coached before.

In my last credentialing, my person said I don't care which method you use for stunts (i.e., full up with crossed leg, ruby slipper, etc.), so long as you describe each position accurately for what they need to do

Yup, they do have specific things you need to say in order to pass (leg is locked out in lib, etc.). If you don't say it though, they'll prompt by asking - what is the flyer's standing leg doing? to make sure you know. They seem scary before you start, but they'r actually not bad i you've coached before. And since you're going for level 3 and need hours to do that, I'm going to assume you've coached before.

In my last credentialing, my person said I don't care which method you use for stunts (i.e., full up with crossed leg, ruby slipper, etc.), so long as you describe each position accurately for what they need to do
Agreed with all that you said. The person administering the test is listening for key phrases. I found it easiest to actually act out the position of the stunt I was explaining.

Is there a thread for Worlds Bid Winners? If so, anyone want to tag me in it? Just curious what it looks like so far!

Is there a thread for Worlds Bid Winners? If so, anyone want to tag me in it? Just curious what it looks like so far!
Here are the 2 Wiki pages, the first is by competition, the second is by division.

2015-2016 Worlds Bids By Event | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

2015-2016 Worlds Bids By Division | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

Also @Ashley has an amazing website called The Road to Worlds that keeps track of all teams/bids at each comp throughout the season.

Welcome to The Road To Worlds

Back