All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To judges and coaches: I've noticed some teams have stunting and tumbling as a part of their dance. If there is a fall, bobble or bust during the dance, is that counted the same as during any other time in the routine? If so, I wonder why you would take that risk if everything hit through the pyramid and then received deductions when the team could have just focused on the dance. Thanks!

To judges and coaches: I've noticed some teams have stunting and tumbling as a part of their dance. If there is a fall, bobble or bust during the dance, is that counted the same as during any other time in the routine? If so, I wonder why you would take that risk if everything hit through the pyramid and then received deductions when the team could have just focused on the dance. Thanks!
There are a lot of points to be won in dance. Sometimes it the difference between 1st and 5th, tumbling and stunting can add cool visuals that will hopefully catch the judges eye. These are not usually hard skills for that person to do.

There are a lot of points to be won in dance. Sometimes it the difference between 1st and 5th, tumbling and stunting can add cool visuals that will hopefully catch the judges eye. These are not usually hard skills for that person to do.
Thank you for answering. I love the dance portion of the routine. During Worlds I noticed quite a few teams with the tumbling and stunting and wondered if they would be penalized if they had an error. But, you are right, most didn't look difficult, I think I would just be afraid to jinx it.

Okay I'm looking for a video (I'm sure from worlds) of a team (sm coed team). I don't know the team but it was a clip on Instagram of them practicing their pyramid. They have one flyer in a backbend then the other flyer flips over (or does a backhand spring type flip) the flyer in the backbend position. It was the first part of their pyramid. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and gives me the team name. It could also be a SIOC team buts I know it was a small coed team-senior or IOC.

Okay I'm looking for a video (I'm sure from worlds) of a team (sm coed team). I don't know the team but it was a clip on Instagram of them practicing their pyramid. They have one flyer in a backbend then the other flyer flips over (or does a backhand spring type flip) the flyer in the backbend position. It was the first part of their pyramid. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and gives me the team name. It could also be a SIOC team buts I know it was a small coed team-senior or IOC.
it's Alaska Allstars black ice

ETA: video. Wish they would have placed better at worlds :( I had them top 3 tbh

Is it common to not progress evenly through the levels stunting, standing tumbling, and running tumbling wise? For example I had a standing back handspring and for years my coach worked with me to get more but I couldn't, Not even standing two back handsprings or standing tuck. Running tumbling wise I had a strong round off layout that when I graduated I was just starting to learn to twist it, yet I couldn't do a running hand tuck and I could barely do a running double back handspring. Then stunting wise I was a strong level 5 stunter. Is this common or no? It doesn't seem like it but I wonder just how common it might be? Also in cases like this since I am all over the board had I not gone to a small gym how do coaches evaluate what level is appropriate? I think alot of my problem was I had super tight muscles in my back so I think that made backhand springs hard for me. Because on days my back was super tight my back handsprings were awful and days it wasn't so bad they were great normal form.

Is it common to not progress evenly through the levels stunting, standing tumbling, and running tumbling wise? For example I had a standing back handspring and for years my coach worked with me to get more but I couldn't, Not even standing two back handsprings or standing tuck. Running tumbling wise I had a strong round off layout that when I graduated I was just starting to learn to twist it, yet I couldn't do a running hand tuck and I could barely do a running double back handspring. Then stunting wise I was a strong level 5 stunter. Is this common or no? It doesn't seem like it but I wonder just how common it might be? Also in cases like this since I am all over the board had I not gone to a small gym how do coaches evaluate what level is appropriate? I think alot of my problem was I had super tight muscles in my back so I think that made backhand springs hard for me. Because on days my back was super tight my back handsprings were awful and days it wasn't so bad they were great normal form.
It's pretty common to develop stunting skills faster than tumbling especially as you get older- thats basically why 4.2 was invented.

what level is there pyramid? level 4, right?

This was pre-levels. So you really can't put it in the category of levels. Part of that pyramid is level two, most of it is level 3, and there are some level 4 elements as well. If you did that exact same pyrmaid today in level 4, you wouldn't score very well.

That looks like an Advanced or Excel division routine?

(When I competed Advanced, I threw a tuck or layout. That division from what I remember is closest to like, Level 3 or 4-ish.)

Many kids can stunt way past their tumbling level. That's completely normal!

Everyone is different, so I can't say a blanket statement about tumbling. Without seeing a video of your tumbling, my first thought is that you weren't taught a correct backhandspring. If girls can do more advanced running skills, but can't connect skills after a bhs, it's usually not an issue of fear. Most of the issues I see are fear based. It was so hard for me to get my running hand tuck, I struggled with too much power and not enough control. Meanwhile I had my jumps to tuck and standing hand tuck because I felt more in control on standing skills. It took a bit for the fear of running to go away! Since it seems you weren't afraid, then it becomes a tumbling technique issue. My guess is your bhs didn't have the speed needed or the snap down needed to connect another skill to it. At a large gym you likely would not have gone past level two without progressing your skills.

As a coach, if a kid tries out with a round off tuck/layout/full I don't think "oh look at that tuck/layout/full" I think "are they not able to put the backhandspring in?"

Many kids can stunt way past their tumbling level. That's completely normal!

Everyone is different, so I can't say a blanket statement about tumbling. Without seeing a video of your tumbling, my first thought is that you weren't taught a correct backhandspring. If girls can do more advanced running skills, but can't connect skills after a bhs, it's usually not an issue of fear. Most of the issues I see are fear based. It was so hard for me to get my running hand tuck, I struggled with too much power and not enough control. Meanwhile I had my jumps to tuck and standing hand tuck because I felt more in control on standing skills. It took a bit for the fear of running to go away! Since it seems you weren't afraid, then it becomes a tumbling technique issue. My guess is your bhs didn't have the speed needed or the snap down needed to connect another skill to it. At a large gym you likely would not have gone past level two without progressing your skills.

As a coach, if a kid tries out with a round off tuck/layout/full I don't think "oh look at that tuck/layout/full" I think "are they not able to put the backhandspring in?"

Yeah that was part of the problem I learned my back handspring the first year I cheered and not the best gym for technique and I was never able to get past it. I was retaught my tuck and thats why running tumbling from a roundoff was no problem for me. My set was also very high so I dont think it was a power issue. My coaches tried fixing my backhandspring but after 4 years of bad technique I wasnt able to break it (Add to it my back problems and tight muscles and therefore bad flexibility at times). And i think you are right about the speed being a problem so thanks I never really thought about it. As embarrassing as it is I put together some of my tumbling :eek:. Its definitely a problem with my back handspring. Not to mention I got in the way in the last part

I think it's also more common when you learn to tumble at an older age. I'd much rather RO Lay than RO BHS. Please don't ask me to RO BHS. And standing tucks are easier and nicer than standing BHS for me too. Kids seem to better progress through the levels, whereas open teams tend to go for fewer but higher level skills when adults are learning.

How long should it take to get a response about a refund from a previous Cheer gym? I realize I may be very disappointed in the response, but still expect a reply. I wonder if other customers in similar situation are getting replies.

Back