All-Star Right Hand Right Foot Left Hand Left Foot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ugh I used to base a girl who would tell us she couldn't full down because she went the "wrong" way. Her full down was beautiful it just went a different way from the others, so she refused to do it. It was SO aggravating. :mad: I was like "you're a flyer on a level 3 team, you're going to full down. Especially since you complain about having been on a level three team for the past 5 years. You should be able to do this by now" buttttt she never did. :banghead:

This. Really. We are Level 6 (there is nothing else for Seniors). And spending hours with teaching a full down makes me crazy. But: She is doing it now. She won´t get the "Most beautifull Full down in the world"-Award (yet), but i´m glad she´s doing it. You have to be thankfull for the little things, right?

Sorry, for being so off topic :oops:

Ignorance coming out here: what do I have her do to see which way she twists naturally? Would it be the same as the full down or something different?

Or, when she lands a layout have her do an immediate jump full turn. That's how I figured it out, but since I do EVERYTHING to the right, it was kind of expected that I'd twist right.

I don't even remember being asked or having to figure out which way to twist. I literally just went in and twisted left without thinking about it. I can even fathom trying to twist to the right. I feel like my body would forget how do everything and death would ensue.

I don't even remember being asked or having to figure out which way to twist. I literally just went in and twisted left without thinking about it. I can even fathom trying to twist to the right. I feel like my body would forget how do everything and death would ensue.
That's how I feel about twisting left!

I can pretty much only do a cartwheel to the right. Oh, or a handstand. That's it. Don't even think about a round-off. I haven't tried it and I'm not going to either.
One of my roommates (we all cheer together and coach at the gym) recently found out that he is a lefty twister. He's been going right for years and couldn't ever finish a double. And one day he went left on accident. And that was it. So now he can twist both ways. Lol. Depending on what he's doing.

So I'm right handed, start tumbling with my right foot, cartwheel to the right but twist left.

I'm right handed but I do everything left, twisting Arabians and round offs

Just have her do this:
turning to the left or the right. Usually going one way is easy, but the other way feels weird/you can't get around/the landing is awkward.
It seems simple (and it is) but one way will be more comfortable to her. That's how I figured out which way to twist :) It might be the same way as her full down but for some people it's different. (even in this video when the girl goes the opposite way it's a little bit awkward on the landing!)

Thanks! I'll have her try that and see which way is more natural. I'm curious to see - is she a left twister or right????

I'm right handed, I tumble right.
I don't full on the floor, but when I try to do fulls I spin right. To me the right is just like right there. The left side just seems so far away. I know that makes no sense but that's just what I think. If a coach ever asked me to do a full down I'm pretty positive I wouldn't be able to do it because twisting left is so weird to me.

Im right handed
I do all tumbling on my right
But one day I realized when I step out my right leg is my lead leg and hits the ground first but when I turned to tumble out my left leg was in front so I then had to learn to step out with my left leg. Which makes me question should I be a lefty?!?!? I can cartwheel and roundoff with my left good it just feels weird because Im not use to doing it that way.

P.S. I have a pretty strong left leg when I play soccer, for all you soccer lovers lol

My oldest daughter was and is ambidextrous in fact 3 out of 4 of my children are. My older daughter started in gymnastics and could tumble equally well left or right. It was impossible to tell which side was better. The coach tried to make her pick a side but she couldn't seem to decide. One day the coach came up behind her and shoved her hard she lunged forward with her right foot. The coached declared her a righty...LOL Which worked fine right up until she started twisting, once again she randomly twisted each direction. It drove her coach crazy because she like to spot on a certain side depending on the direction you twisted.

My youngest is also ambidextrous. He holds a golf club to the left, a tennis racquet to the right, bowls lefty and dribbles righty. A couple years ago I asked in a similar thread if people who were both right and lefty tumblers had any learning issues. My older daughter was a different learner...very bright but just seemed to learn differently than most and my youngest son is also very bright but has significant dyslexia. I have always wondered if there brains were just wired differently than most.

I'm a righty & tumbled left (a long time ago). Lol
CP is a lefty above the waist & a righty below the waist. In tennis, softball, & basketball she's a lefty, but soccer & tumbling she's a righty.

Her full downs are to the left. Whoever taught her step outs taught her wrong so she lands on her left foot and hops onto her right. She did it that way for a year before I asked the coach why they looked so awkward. We are now in the tedious phase of "retraining" her. Ugh!

She just got her layout. Yay :) This thread has me wondering about her full - when the time comes.

How do you know which way they naturally twist when they're first learning? Is one way better or "the right way" to twist? Knowing CP, she won't speak up if she feels more comfortable twisting the other way which could mean it will take forever for her to learn the skill.

Should I say something to her coach when they tell her they want to start working on her full?

I'm a flier and since I could already grasp the concept of twisting left, that's how my coach had twist when I started learning fulls :D

CP tested her twisting skills today. She DEFINITELY twists left. On her first try she twisted left and when I had her try it right she was floppy and said it felt weird. She said its harder to squeeze when she twists right.

So cp writes left, tumbles right, twists left.

Back