All-Star Right Hand Right Foot Left Hand Left Foot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I coach, and when my mini girls forget which way they tumble I tell them to put their feet together and close their eyes. Then I give them a shove them from behind (child abuse? lol:wasntme: ) and whichever foot they take a step with is their starting leg for tumbling.

random question: if you are a lefty or a righty do you turn different ways for a full? Sorry if this has been covered of if it is the wrong thread. Working on the final edit of book 3 in my series and I want to make sure I get even the little details right.

THANKS!

random question: if you are a lefty or a righty do you turn different ways for a full? Sorry if this has been covered of if it is the wrong thread. Working on the final edit of book 3 in my series and I want to make sure I get even the little details right.

THANKS!
I'm a righty and I go right for my full. Almost everyone I know is a righty and goes right in their round offs, but around 1/3 of them twist left in their fulls. I learned my full at a small gym so I'm not sure if I learned the right way, but I was basically just taught to twist whichever way felt more natural.

I'm a righty and I go right for my full. Almost everyone I know is a righty and goes right in their round offs, but around 1/3 of them twist left in their fulls. I learned my full at a small gym so I'm not sure if I learned the right way, but I was basically just taught to twist whichever way felt more natural.

Thanks so much!!! Good to know for sure! :)

THANKS!
My daughter is a righty and spins left which has caused some problems because some coaches didnt know how to spot a left spin. That was how she was taught to spin so it never even occurred to me until two separate coaches couldn't spot her because she twisted a way they weren't used to.

Ok so I am really weird:

Write right
Round off left
Twist left
But forward tumble right (front walkovers, handstands, etc.)

So when I was in gymnastics I had problems doing my beam routine. I always had to do my bad leg hand stand and could never go all the way to 90 degrees. Then in cheer I could do a front walkover through to full but I would have to do my bad leg front walk over (so that I could round off left out of it) so it always slowed down my momentum.

Right handed. Cartwheel/roundoff left. Currently teaching myself to spin, left feels more natural but I haven't tried right. I do right leg forward on back walkovers however junior year i taught myself left leg forward. I front walkover with either foot forward

I write with my right hand, and tumble right, with the exception of twisting. I did my fulls and arabians left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this thread, it's weird how it can be so different!

I'm kinda ambidextrous I guess, I write with my right hand, but eat like a lefty, hold my hockey stick like a lefty (to the right), bat like a righty, have a goofy stance (right foot forward on boards), I prefer spotting and basing on the left side, tumble right, though my left cartwheel is equally good, and I'm pretty sure I would twist right too..

Also, isn't it awkward tumbling and twisting the opposite ways? Not in general, but I feel like a cartwheel full would be hard to do?

Also right handed, left cartwheel, left twister. Though I can cartwheel pretty good right too. Thanks gymnastics training as a kid

I just asked my daughter about her tumbling and she said, she is righty for everything, but due to her gymnastics training, she is ambidextrous with cartwheels, roundoffs, walkovers, but she also mentioned, she has more power when performing these skills from her right side... She said, she can only spin right when doing her fulls too.

Last edited:
My kiddo is still on a mini 1,so not many skills yet but she's ambidextrous and she tumbled on different legs for different skills. Her gym requires them to have all skills on both legs (cp calls them her good and bad leg lol) and it didn't make sense until this year when they gave her a tumbling pass that she had to use her "bad leg" on for her walkover so that she didn't switch feet. It's interesting though because in the rest of the routine, she naturally uses the other leg anywhere there's a bwo. In her pass it looks cool because she and the girl she goes with look like a mirror but the rest of the routine it bugs me that she's on a different leg than the rest of her team lol.

I never thought about how weird I do things until I saw this thread just now.
I write left-handed, I roundoff and twist left. However, I work arabian and standing full drill to the right. Never even realized that I was doing it differently.

I am right handed and roundoff and twist left. I would always work full downs, double downs, and baskets twisting left so it was just the natural thing for me to do when I began tumbling.

Back