All-Star Right Hand Right Foot Left Hand Left Foot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Im righthanded and cartwheel and roundoff left.
Never tried to do it with right, left was natural to me so ive stuck with it.
Cant imagine doing it on my rightside, i feel like my leg would be in my way or something

I always tumble on my left (twist left too) but am right handed. I always attribute which way a child tumbles to which side is better for flexibility nothing to do with writing. It's easier to reach into round off/cartwheels/handstands if you are more flexible on that leg so therefore feels "more natural" and then when they train more and flexibility is equal they already have chosen a preferred leg.

When I got USAG certified I did some coaching classes and they said that "Left" cartwheels are actually tumbling right because they're performing a half turn over their right shoulder. It totally made sense after they said that why I (and a few of my athletes) backwards full one way and forwards full another. Or, I have girls that front full one way but barani/arial the other because those two feel more like their cartwheels/roundoffs, but they've been trained to twist a way opposite of their round offs/cartwheels. It was a real eye opener for me lol

I'm right handed and tumble left. It seemed to confuse my gymnastics coach.
I have quite a few athletes that are right handed and tumble left. I don't find it unusual.

I have seen some nutcases who round off right twist right but Arabian and 11/2 step out left it was confusing and it still kinda blows my mind.

There is alot of questions going on at once that I'm asking. Any input on any of it would be cool!

So I have read somewhere on the Internet that people who are naturally right handed, tumble with right foot. (I.e. Doing a cartwheel the right foot/hand goes first).

So I'm looking for insight into this. Most of my CPs youth team is right handed and almost all tumble that way. However, my daughter tumbles left first even though she is right handed with everything else! So she is backwards to everyone! Which is cool but it bothers me if things are synchronized in a routine and you got that one out of 4 or whatever going a different way!

Also I will say when my cp was on tiny's last year there were quite a few right hand people that tumble left! But idk If that was just because alot of them couldn't really even do a cartwheel yet so maybe they didn't know which one felt better!

So I want to know which hand y'all are and which way you tumble?

Does it bother y'all to see it opposite in routines, or does it play a role in who tumbles with who at your gym?

I was also wondering do people who tumble right progress faster or are certain skills easier if you tumble left or vice versa?!

What way do you prefer?!

Lol sorry this was just something on my mind!!
Thanks

Eta: apparently I can't spell hand in the title!! Sorry!

My cp is right handed but tumbles left. Her very first coach taught her how to do a cartwheel and she couldn't get it with her right hand. So she switched her and she took off. She's always tumbled left and spins left. No one has ever said anything as far as it messing up a tumbling sequence though (with synch tumbling). Not that I'm aware of anyway. I don't tend to notice things like that.

Pet peeve- synchronized tumbling when tumblers spin in different directions. Even worse in standing tumbling than running tumbling. I need to get over it.

I have seen some nutcases who round off right twist right but Arabian and 11/2 step out left it was confusing and it still kinda blows my mind.

In my mind when I was reading that I was like "Arabian.. huh thats weird" and then "1 1/2..... wut"
That completely boggles my mind lol I don't even know how someone figures out they prefer that? Can they full both ways first?

I am right handed and I tumble and twist left. The only right handed tumbling i can do is a cartwheel; i would literally die if i tried to round-off right. I can cartwheel right handed though so there's that. With practice probably, but even the thought of tumbling right gives me anxiety.
When i watch people tumble it usually looks funny to me to watch people who twist the same direction as me which i think is strange, but whatever.
We try and put opposite tumblers on oppsoite sides of the floor so it matches. Hahaha

Pet peeve- synchronized tumbling when tumblers spin in different directions. Even worse in standing tumbling than running tumbling. I need to get over it.
Last year on my small co-ed 5 we had two boys who twisted opposite of each other coming down the center ( back to front) it looked SOO cool when they doubled. They twisted toward the outside of the floor. Idk it was very aesthetically pleasing for some reason. The other coach and I talked about it all the time.

I round off left and full right. I always need to add a back hand spring because its near impossible to do a right full from a left round off. Isn't there a name for this?

In my mind when I was reading that I was like "Arabian.. huh thats weird" and then "1 1/2..... wut"
That completely boggles my mind lol I don't even know how someone figures out they prefer that? Can they full both ways first?
Yes and I had the same response! Normally I would chalk it up to shady tumble instructors but she is pretty technically sound tumbler and came from a very well known gym so idk lol.

Left handed, tumble and twist right. I was taught to twist left at first, but I struggled learning how to full. My coach asked me to twist right and it felt so much more natural. Ever since then that's what I've done.

I round off left and full right. I always need to add a back hand spring because its near impossible to do a right full from a left round off. Isn't there a name for this?

I used to round off right and twist left for five years, up until I had a roundoff-full in a routine without the backhandspring in the middle. I had to reteach myself how to twist and it was terrible, 0/10 would not recommend. But I was taught to twist left by my gymnastics coach who was a firm believer in "twist whichever way you twist to catch your fall if I stand on your toes and push you down", which only became an issue once I tried it for cheer. Blerg.

Back