All-Star Sports Bras Vs. T-shirts For Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

sports bras only or t-shirt?

• Total voters
wearing a sports bra makes me feel exposed. but then it also makes me for some reason feel extremely fierce and invincible so i suck it up and expose myself during the summer. then once winter hits i just wanna bring a snuggie to practice instead of a nylon napkin for my chest

* spandex napkin

I feel this thread comes up each year. A sports bra isnt bad. I think it covers up more then a swimsuit top and people walk around in those ALL summer. I personally when practicing would rather be in a sport bra or tight tank, T-shirts just get in the way too much. Plus here in east texas it gets HOT. We have AC in our gym but it still is hot. I dont understand how some gyms dont have AC....I died at Spirits gym the first time i went to tumble. The no AC thing is something I dont think I could get use too hahah Stingrays gym wasnt hot when I went, then again it was at night & cool out...But back to the topic, I wish people wouldnt make such a big deal about a sport bra!

Oh and im not a nike spandex person. I feel to exposed in spandex & a sports bra. I feel fierce in my nike shorts and sports bra though :)

I LOVE matching training outfits but I think that the option should be there to choose between a sports bra and a tank top because they look similar enough that it keeps uniformity without causing some of the girls to feel self conscious

I wasn't truly comfortable with the "sports bra only" look until we switched gyms and I watched my cp come off the floor dripping sweat, complaining, every day for 2 weeks. For me, it was a matter of my kid's comfort level. If sh's ok with it - inside the gym only - I am too.

@Seeker30 , your comment about kids questioning their development - all I can say is, if they're wondering why they aren't as developed as other girls, they're probably old enough to be able to view their own body realistically. Speaking only about mine, cp did question her development the year she cheered in a tee and full top, but stopped when we switched gyms and more girls (including her) wore bras only. Or maybe I just did an exceptional job explaining athleticism and delayed development. ;)

I'm not a huge fan of young kids in the sports bras but I guess it's their coach's and parents call to make.

However, I would like to add that I know of a program where most of the kids do wear sports bras and they had some funky skin condition that was getting passed around. I'm no doctor and I know it's not because of the sports bras but a lot of the kids got it on their torsos so I'm guessing a little more coverage might have slowed the spread. .

i can see if you're a team like GA or charlotte all stars where you wear full top uniforms, but if you are going to allow your athletes to wear crop top uniforms around competition arenas, then why ot let them wear them in the comfort of their own gym? well thats just my opinion but it's really a gym's choice, i would personally rather wear a sports bra, not because it's inappropriate, but because it's more comfortable

I think athletes should be provided with both. If they choose to wear only the sports bra, that's a personal choice, but give them the option of a tee shirt too. I think sports bras should be provided, especially in the case of younger girls who may not have started wearing a regular bra yet, but need one while tumbling or wearing a tank top. I personally hate spotting tucks if the kid isn't wearing a shirt, especially if they are sweaty. I'm not using the shirt to pull them over, but I need something to grip to. In terms of body image, if the kid is already skinny, it's not going to make them feel worse about them self. I worry more for the kids who aren't so skinny. Maybe it would give them a more comfortable body image, or maybe it would make them feel jealous of their skinnier team mates. Once again, give both and let the kids decide

At my gym we're allowed to wear just sports bras, but I don't get it cause we have full top uniforms haha

@Seeker30 , your comment about kids questioning their development - all I can say is, if they're wondering why they aren't as developed as other girls, they're probably old enough to be able to view their own body realistically. Speaking only about mine, cp did question her development the year she cheered in a tee and full top, but stopped when we switched gyms and more girls (including her) wore bras only. Or maybe I just did an exceptional job explaining athleticism and delayed development. ;)
im sure you did an exceptional job at explaining :)
and okay i see, well although i voted t-shirt. i think they should wear what ever they feel they feel comfortable in! :)

I like sports bra's for inside the gym in the summer. If it makes the male coaches uncomfortable then they shouldn't be coaching. For outside demonstrations or practices at competitions I like t-shirts. They are classier for the public.

Back