All-Star Sports Bras Vs. T-shirts For Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

sports bras only or t-shirt?

• Total voters
For the first month we got to wear what ever we wanted, but now we have to wear our team sports bra and navy shorts. You can buy a tank top if you don't feel comfortable in only a sports bra, but our coach said we might as well get used to wearing them since the uniforms are crop tops. During stunting flyers wear shirts though.

Okay, here's another variation on this that I don't think anyone else mentioned (I skimmed through the previous 4 pages of posts), but starting last season, at least for the youth and younger girls, there is a rule that sports bras must be worn under t-shirts or the shirts have to be tied at the waist with a hair tie. Some of the coaches actually expressed discomfort with the younger girls shirts riding up when they tumble and asked that they follow this rule.

So, my CP always wears a sports bra with a t-shirt over it at the start of practice (she doesn't like the hair tie because being level 1 they do forward rolls and she said it hurts when they roll), but I can usually count on one hand the number of minutes before the t-shirt is off and she's in just her sports bra. When we leave the gym though, I make her cover back up.

at my gym it's optional. we have tee shirts with sports bras that match so it's totally up to you. I prefer tee shirts because I need something to wipe my sweat. lol.

I do not allow my CP to walk around wearing just a sports bra but it is because she tends to act "grown" when she just has it on. We also don't let her walk around in a bikini unless we are at the beach or at the pool and she has to wear a t-shirt or her warm up jacket until warm-up and after she performs at competitions. I am sure we will be more lenient as she gets older or figures out that we only accept that level of sassiness on stage... I don't have an opinion about other people with younger athletes

We get to wear whatever we want and a lot of the flyers wear sports bras because it's better vor coed stunting. I used to not feel comfortable in just a sports bra but have come to really like them in the past year or so... It's just not as hot and sticky as with a t-shirt on. It also makes me feel fierce. :D

I'll wear a sports bra when it's hot out. Tshirts and even tank tops just stick to me and it's so uncomfortable. Probably half the girls on my senior team do this at my gym. It usually tends to by this group and youth girls that wear sports bras. Probably because junior athletes aren't as comfortable with themselves at that age.

my senior girls can wear whatever makes them most comfortable. we have teamsoffe shorts that everyone wears, except when its really cold they put leggings underneath it or wear sweatpants (except for flyers).

we have team tshirts and next season also sportsbras but they can wear their own tshirt or sportbra if they like.
i noticed the new members always wear big tshirts and the longer they are on the team the more often they wear sportsbras. i guess that shows they are feeling more comfortable in the group.

during summervacation i even allow them to wear their bikinis, as long everything is decently covered up. i know its crazy, but its extremely hot in our gym and i noticed more show up since i allowed it (they come straight from the lake to practise and before they had to go home to change or felt so hot in the gym they got REALLY lazy and grumpy)

juniors wear shorts and tshort or tank, only allowed to wear sportsbras when it's really hot.

when we have open practise (when parents can come and watch, people tryout or other teams join our practise) they are all obligated to wear their teamshort and tshirt.

how can we not love this?
pw.jpg

The majority of girls on my squad just wear tshirts and leggings to practice but I usually wear soffes. I would wear a sports bra if other people did - it feels weird wearing one because no one else does. Same with bows although since I bought 5 while I was in America I really need to wear them to practice to justify buying them in the first place!

I'm not understanding why people have such an issue with little girls wearing sports bras only and who might be looking at them in a creepy/weird way, but feel it's okay for older girls to only wear sports bras. Older girls are the ones that have stuff for people to look at. They have developed chests and curves and everything. With little girls there's nothing there. A normal person that looks at a little girl in a sports bra will not think anything of it, but I'd think they would more readily notice a teenager in a sports bra. So if that is the issue with parents, I just don't get it. If I was a parent, I'd have more of an issue with my teenage daughter wearing only a sports bra around other people than I would with my daughter that has yet to enter puberty. :/

I'm not understanding why people have such an issue with little girls wearing sports bras only and who might be looking at them in a creepy/weird way, but feel it's okay for older girls to only wear sports bras. Older girls are the ones that have stuff for people to look at. They have developed chests and curves and everything. With little girls there's nothing there. A normal person that looks at a little girl in a sports bra will not think anything of it, but I'd think they would more readily notice a teenager in a sports bra. So if that is the issue with parents, I just don't get it. If I was a parent, I'd have more of an issue with my teenage daughter wearing only a sports bra around other people than I would with my daughter that has yet to enter puberty. :/

My issue isn't creepy people exactly, its more a personal preference of teaching modesty with your body. When my CP is older and can make me believe that she is taking her t-shirt off and performing a sports bra it is for comfort, rationally sports related issues and not to be "cute" I won't have a problem with her practicing in her sports bra. With her cheer uniform, bathing suits etc. we try to teach her there is a time and a place for those type of garments and that it is not for everyone to see you in your undergarments. The idea of who should see what parts of your body and when starts at a young age. Older girls have a better awareness of body safety and are more wary of strangers' glances than younger girls (or they should be)...

Back