All-Star Summit Reveals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It doesn't need to take an extra day to figure out the bid winners. Last comp I attended (prior to Summit) it *appeared* there was a super simple formula: pick four teams who had used the Head Judge's choreography company's services. Bid-winning winning teams didn't even need to win their division. Easy peasy! But, of course. that's just appearances, I'm sure there were super tricky mathy calculations & guidelines mere spectators wouldn't understand :confused:

Yep that's why scores are no longer posted for all to c! Judges can sometimes pick whoever they want to get bids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is semi off topic, but since it's currently the only active Summit thread... just noticed on varsity's website:

"NEW FOR THIS YEAR- The Summit will no longer pass down bids from teams who decline bids or teams that are upgraded to Paid Bids. "

Has this been talked about? Did I miss it? In general, I like policies like this and wouldn't mind this same policy for Worlds... but listening to coaches/parents on the boards talk about how difficult it is to come by Summit bids, especially in certain parts of the country, this seems like it would not be received well.

So if a team accepts a bid and then decides they can't/won't go, o r a team upgrades, then a team who really wants to go can't? Wrong no matter how u look at it!

Anyone see this?
84407cfa8f4b089290f3fdcf6bdd3db6.png

Top 3 WC now move on

They announced this early in the season (I want to say maybe late May). Summit bids are so hard to come by, and this just made it even harder. I'm not necessarily against it per se, but having received passed down bids for the first time last year, I'm a little disappointed it's not an option this year. There are so many great teams who can't get a bid to begin with.

CP has two Summit rings off passed down bids, too.

@NJ Coach do you know if those declined bids go back into the bid pool or are they just lost? I really don't understand "declined" bids, shouldn't a coach know and state they are declining prior to the competition?
I believe they disappear.

I really don't understand "declined" bids, shouldn't a coach know and state they are declining prior to the competition?
I don't get that either. I understand when a team upgrades, but declining a bid entirely? Isn't that usually declared ahead of time?

I don't get that either. I understand when a team upgrades, but declining a bid entirely? Isn't that usually declared ahead of time?
At coaches registration, you have to declare if you are accepting bids, and what type of bids you'll accept. I know gyms/teams that have accepted whatever they can get, and then decide after (usually with a vote by the parents). Hopefully, with passed down bids no longer possible, those teams will decline to accept bids in the first place.

I can see it maybe say over 20 WC bid teams but is it the same for under 10?

I believe it's for all divisions. If there are 3 teams, all 3 move on.

I can't describe enough how much I am not a fan of this.
I'm not either. To me, a Wild Card has always meant harder odds of winning because of having to play an additional round, thus the reason it is a "Wild Card". They obviously wanted to reduce the Saturday population but, I feel it gives an unfair advantage to the very bid that should be harder to win.

I'm not either. To me, a Wild Card has always meant harder odds of winning because of having to play an additional round, thus the reason it is a "Wild Card". They obviously wanted to reduce the Saturday population but, I feel it gives an unfair advantage to the very bid that should be harder to win.
Agreed. When it was created, the Wild Card was exactly that. You had to win in order to make it to the Summit. Then came, well, we'll take more than 1 in some huge divisions. Ok, fine. Then, if you win, you get to compete last in Finals, and if you come in second, you get to compete last in Prelims (which apparently is now semi's). Last year, they took more from the WC round than they were supposed to...why? I don't believe ANYONE should advance directly to finals, and I sure don't think they should get to compete last. So, we went from having to compete to be able to make it into the Summit, to top 2 advancing right to finals. What the heck is that?

Do I realize there are areas of the country that only have WC's, of course. But, when the WC's were created, we all knew it meant an uphill battle, but that was the risk you took. Now, if I had a team that I was absolutely confident would be in contention for a win, I'd take the WC, hope to place 1st or 2nd and go last in Finals. Deck is stacked in my favor at that point.

I envision Summit reveal viewing parties. I have a feeling they will let the coaches know so they can plan to get the teams together to watch.

Edited to add I think this is good in the sense that they have the time to thoroughly review the scores and the rules of each event producer to make sure the correct teams are awarded the bids. It was confusing last year because each event had different rules as to who was summit bid eligible (must win division vs don't have to win division-- is just one example)

Edited again to add that some of the reveals are really late at night and for a youth team that can be hard on the kids. Also, if you are traveling, often the whole team can't stay for the reveal if they need to get home. So, overall, I think it's a good idea.

I can say they don't let coaches know before hand. We find out right along with the teams.

Now, if I had a team that I was absolutely confident would be in contention for a win, I'd take the WC, hope to place 1st or 2nd and go last in Finals. Deck is stacked in my favor at that point.

Last year, Sr. Large 2, and don't get me wrong, they were a fantastic team that also won NCA Nationals. With that said, they won first place in the Wild Card, moved onto the finals, performed last and won the Summit. Could they have hit their routine 3 times? Possibly but, moving on to the finals, having a day off, AND performing last? I realize the rules prevent teams from upgrading a WC to an at large bid but, if they didn't and my team just won NCA Nationals, heck yes I'd keep the Wild Card!

You're right, this is about smaller and remote gyms, providing a 1 day competition option and Varsity had to figure out a way to control team population on Saturday to make it work. I get it but, Sunday is half the population. Have the top 3 WC's compete Sunday morning, cut it down to one and have them perform first at finals. Something, anything, to keep the additional performance the risk of being a Wild Card.

Back