All-Star The Current State Of Allstar Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't give the invoice to my parents, but considering everything except uniform, shoes, and their travel (all within 6 hours) is included for < $2000 a season, I don't feel the need. Our uniforms are also nowhere near the $400 mark. I mark up enough to cover the taxes and shipping. In fact, with uniform and shoes, they might just hit the $2000 mark for the season.

That being said, it's funny when the uniform company forgets the invoice from the manufacturer in your shipment. Talk about mark-up!!
Ah yes! I have seen those invoices as well! ;)

I think transparency goes far and would really be nice in this industry. Too much of it is "just pay! Don't look behind the curtain or even open your mouth!"

Exactly. Ask questions at your own peril. Or the ever popular answer "we will never be able to make the changes if people stop paying. Not paying is delaying what we need to do, so just trust us." Failing to realize that a lot of that trust was lost a long time ago. Which is why more is pushed thru on the strength of personalities than actual trust.

JMO but liking the competitions vs liking where the industry is headed as a whole are two different things.

I don't give the invoice to my parents, but considering everything except uniform, shoes, and their travel (all within 6 hours) is included for < $2000 a season, I don't feel the need. Our uniforms are also nowhere near the $400 mark. I mark up enough to cover the taxes and shipping. In fact, with uniform and shoes, they might just hit the $2000 mark for the season.

That being said, it's funny when the uniform company forgets the invoice from the manufacturer in your shipment. Talk about mark-up!!

@Lovemyoagirl - It's not gossip when you've seen the invoice from the manufacturer (what they charged the uniform company) and what the uniform company charges you (the gym owner).

Transparency is not going to happen. If a gym of 300 members ordered an additional 30 uniforms with multiple size runs for new athletes or outgrown uniforms, would you get upset if you were paying upfront for those? Some would, some wouldn't, some would expect the $1.33 ($400/300) put back on their account every time one was sold. There are too many varying opinions on what people feel is acceptable when passing on costs to consumers and acceptable profit margins.

The only way to change things is, if you feel you are being price gouged or priced out is, to go elsewhere. There are plenty of gyms that don't request or require "all the all" for their full year teams with multiple travel comps, high priced music/choreo and merchandise. There are, also, gyms that offer full and half year prep teams with less or no travel, attend 1-2 small comps and have much lower music/ choreo and uniform costs. There are, also, rec and school teams. The truth is, we have lower cost options, we just don't want them.

Transparency is not going to happen. If a gym of 300 members ordered an additional 30 uniforms with multiple size runs for new athletes or outgrown uniforms, would you get upset if you were paying upfront for those? Some would, some wouldn't, some would expect the $1.33 ($400/300) put back on their account every time one was sold. There are too many varying opinions on what people feel is acceptable when passing on costs to consumers and acceptable profit margins.

The only way to change things is, if you feel you are being price gouged or priced out is, to go elsewhere. There are plenty of gyms that don't request or require "all the all" for their full year teams with multiple travel comps, high priced music/choreo and merchandise. There are, also, gyms that offer full and half year prep teams with less or no travel, attend 1-2 small comps and have much lower music/ choreo and uniform costs. There are, also, rec and school teams. The truth is, we have lower cost options, we just don't want them.
Once again, you've knocked the ball right out of the park.

Bingo. It's never easy to go back to something simpler/less flashy. Once a gym starts branching out into big competitions, blinged-out uniforms and brand-name practice wear everyone expects that growth to continue. If it doesn't, you hear the hushed talk of "omg gym X might be going under, gym X is losing talent, gym X is going to be bought out, gym X is struggling to rebuild etc. That chatter and gossip might be hurtful for a program and people will leave if they think their gym won't make it.

Side note- I wonder how much gym owners of modest size gyms actually make...

@MissCongeniality -

Can I ask why you spend your time on an allstar cheerleading message board? I rarely post or come on here much anymore, but I read through 2 threads about allstar cheerleading, and you seem to only have negative things to say about gyms, their owners and the industry. Going as far as saying you're glad you could pull your kid out before they got too into it. So why are you wasting your time on a message board dedicated to a sport that you seem to loathe?

@MissCongeniality -

Can I ask why you spend your time on an allstar cheerleading message board? I rarely post or come on here much anymore, but I read through 2 threads about allstar cheerleading, and you seem to only have negative things to say about gyms, their owners and the industry. Going as far as saying you're glad you could pull your kid out before they got too into it. So why are you wasting your time on a message board dedicated to a sport that you seem to loathe?
I'm sorry if that's the way it's coming across. That is not my intention. However I have never been one to hold my tongue and maybe I'm not saying things in the best manner (been watching too much political coverage lately). If you read more than 2 threads I think you will find that I am very positive about much of the sport but also very honest about where I see shortcomings.

ETA: You have me confused with someone else because I never said I was glad I could pull my child before she got too far into it. I would say going to Worlds multiple times and being a gold medalist is definitely far into it ;)

Last edited:
@MissCongeniality -

Not speaking for her, but the two threads where she has been "negative" are filled with very frank discussions about the industry. I think the posts are coming across as more honest than negative - but I am reading it from a different perspective than you (parent versus coach/owner). The industry has some big issues - I'm glad it is being talked about. I think it is important to see things from different viewpoints. I realize many gym owners/coaches don't want to hear what parents have to say (not speaking to you personally - just a general statement), but at the end of the day they are the ones ultimately funding the industry.

We all know that the gyms are here to make money and not be a charity and are under no obligation to tell you what that markup is. Do you think Gymnastics, dance or Hockey teams tell their parents what their markup is(I choose those 3 because they tend to be most similar in cost to Cheer)? Do you think parents complain about their transparency?

The real problem I have with transparency in the sport is around judging. The difference in scores at a Varsity competition can vary greatly from week to week. Also Varsity is in bed with some of the larger gyms from an entertainment, promotion and apparel perspective.

Last edited:
@MissCongeniality -

I also will not speak for MissCon but knowing her personally, I can say without hesitation she doesn't loathe this sport. She's been my daughter's biggest "cheerleader" and has given me a ton of great advice on how to stay sane in this crazy sport.

That being said, sometimes when the bindings are off, you're able to speak a little more freely. ;)

Back