All-Star Tiny Level 1

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 14, 2010
Ok so this is my first year coaching a tiny team. I'm clear on the level 1 rules and am writing their routine but I need a time clarification. We are competitive all star and not Rec.

Are their routines usually still 2 min 30 seconds as well? Do "helpers" go on the floor?

I'm obviously teaching them their routine in order starting with their opening, including How to run on the floor at a competition starting with heads down, then to their first stunt and then to their jump section and that's what I have so far. But I am stuck on what to do for a pyramid. We only have 6 girls right now. Their first stunt is 2 groups of 3. Any pyramid ideas?

We also have no walkovers, yet! We have some girls who are close. I know tiny sometimes gets stuck in walkovers and they need more time for tumbling but for the girls who don't have walkovers is a front roll cartwheel front roll a good running tumbling line?

I'm in very new territory! Lol help would me much appreciated! [emoji173]️

You could do a base on each side kneeling on one knee with one girl standing in middle and then have flyers do hitches to her hands. Use last girl to back which ever side needs extra support.

You could also do one shoulder sit to brace the other group at prep.

I'm not a coach, so I don't really know the logistics of tumbling passes and pyramids.

That said, CP1 did her time in Tiny's and CP2 is there now. In our experience at competitions, the Tiny Prep 1 division is much larger than the Tiny 1. Both of mine were in the TP1 so their routine was only 2 minutes. Also, we've seen everything from multiple helpers on the floor to teams as competitive as a Mini or Youth 1. Your approach should mirror what the gym expects on that front.

Good luck!

Having judged Tiny 1, its the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I wanted to just put a check mark and a happy face next to everything and move on.

How are their rolls/cartwheels and round offs? Our mini 1 last year didn't have a ton of walk overs, but still scored well with good technique on the "easier" level 1 tumbling skills. We had a LOT of cartwheel forward rolls happening.

Pyramid ideas-
- 2 kneeling libs connected
- Prep lib braced by a girl standing on the ground.
- assisted handstand in the middle braced by girls on each side
-
5d8fa836c7753fbb3555535987cd1253.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Having judged Tiny 1, its the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I wanted to just put a check mark and a happy face next to everything and move on.

How are their rolls/cartwheels and round offs? Our mini 1 last year didn't have a ton of walk overs, but still scored well with good technique on the "easier" level 1 tumbling skills. We had a LOT of cartwheel forward rolls happening.

Pyramid ideas-
- 2 kneeling libs connected
- Prep lib braced by a girl standing on the ground.
- assisted handstand in the middle braced by girls on each side
-
5d8fa836c7753fbb3555535987cd1253.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
i thought that kind of pyamid wasn't allowed anymore?

I have to ask what division they'll be in if it's prep or just regular tiny. My girls are really small. They can't even do regular knee stunts,where base has one leg up stunts, let alone a prep! Lol I had thought of doing the paper dolls like in the picture posted but they can't even step up onto a bases bent leg because the base crumbles.

I have to ask what division they'll be in if it's prep or just regular tiny. My girls are really small. They can't even do regular knee stunts,where base has one leg up stunts, let alone a prep! Lol I had thought of doing the paper dolls like in the picture posted but they can't even step up onto a bases bent leg because the base crumbles.

I can relate to this so much with my minis. They always crumble and complain about how heavy it is, and how much it's hurting their thigh. And I'm over here thinking, just you wait til you start doing kick doubles and back tuck baskets, full ups and double downs going south my friends.. Then we can talk about hurting.. I've found though sometimes some kids can handle a low single lib better than a kneeling one. Idk what they even call it, a low prep? It's basically a sponge then straighten out arms and body. Some prefer both hands under the foot, some one under and one behind the leg. Maybe try that. :)

I had a problem last season with a group of mini's who loved to complain, every time whining started I would tell them "strong is beautiful, and cheerleaders are strong". I said it to the point that when a peep of complaint started I'd cut it off and ask "what are you?" and they would stop complaint mid sentence and say "strong".

It cut the owie owie, she's hurting me's down by a ton.

I had a problem last season with a group of mini's who loved to complain, every time whining started I would tell them "strong is beautiful, and cheerleaders are strong". I said it to the point that when a peep of complaint started I'd cut it off and ask "what are you?" and they would stop complaint mid sentence and say "strong".

It cut the owie owie, she's hurting me's down by a ton.

This is incredible haha. Coaches who coach minis deserve medals!

The stunts will take time. Just like Level 5s struggle with advanced skills (double ups, tick tocks etc) your kids will struggle too. For them, little knee stands are really difficult. Those are the equivalent of an extension to a level 2, or a full basket to a level 3 etc. It will hurt until they get stronger, but they will improve if you keep working at it!

My CP has been on tiny two years and is on a mini this year....it's so hard to base girls that are the same age and weigh within 5 pounds of you but she does really well. She thinks it's cool that she comes home with a bloody nfinity shoe print imprinted on her thigh most nights lol. She's definitely getting stronger!

Ok so this is my first year coaching a tiny team. I'm clear on the level 1 rules and am writing their routine but I need a time clarification. We are competitive all star and not Rec.

Are their routines usually still 2 min 30 seconds as well? Do "helpers" go on the floor?

I'm obviously teaching them their routine in order starting with their opening, including How to run on the floor at a competition starting with heads down, then to their first stunt and then to their jump section and that's what I have so far. But I am stuck on what to do for a pyramid. We only have 6 girls right now. Their first stunt is 2 groups of 3. Any pyramid ideas?

We also have no walkovers, yet! We have some girls who are close. I know tiny sometimes gets stuck in walkovers and they need more time for tumbling but for the girls who don't have walkovers is a front roll cartwheel front roll a good running tumbling line?

I'm in very new territory! Lol help would me much appreciated! [emoji173]️

If you're competitive Allstar, helpers don't go out on the floor! But Allstar prep would be a good alternative! Only 2 mins and not as much competition! :) good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back