All-Star Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I need some advice/opinions about tryouts and I hope don't come across as a loon in this post;). So some background..This was CP's first year of cheer (8 yrs old on a J2 team, but "cheer age" is 7) and she loved it, our gym is very small but did fairly well and she would be completely happy to be on the same team next year, but after next year she would need to switch if she wanted to move to a higher level.

However, I'm hearing rumblings that many girls are not coming back and now I'm worried she won't have a team as the only other option at this gym is a senior team. Tryouts for the other gyms around us are starting in the next couple weeks; she can make tryouts for one of the gyms but cannot for the other, which is the gym we would ultimately switch to for 2017/18, and our gyms tryouts are last, so I won't know about what's happening with our gym until after other tryout are over.

So what to do? First, would I seem crazy asking for a private tryout for the one gym whose tryouts she can't go to? Second, I feel weird going to three different tryouts as I would rather her stay at current gym if possible for one more year because it fits well into her schedule and it's very convenient for me. Third, the fact that this is causing me such stress is highly annoying:mad:. Help!
Have her stay at current gym until placements. If she has to go to Sr team, go to another gym. They will find a team for her, no matter the time in the season.

This was my first year of All star and I was on senior 2. Now I'm aging out and I don't know whether to tryout for open 4 at another gym or not? (My gym is too small to get enough open aged athletes :( ) Has anyone jumped levels like this? I'm currently working on level 3 stunts with my Sr. 2 team but idk and tryouts for open 4 are on May 7th so I'm nervous!!

We are switching gyms this year. CP is 13 so she could be on a junior or senior team. We are hoping for a senior team so she can still fly.

This was my first year of All star and I was on senior 2. Now I'm aging out and I don't know whether to tryout for open 4 at another gym or not? (My gym is too small to get enough open aged athletes :( ) Has anyone jumped levels like this? I'm currently working on level 3 stunts with my Sr. 2 team but idk and tryouts for open 4 are on May 7th so I'm nervous!!

A huge chunk of people I know who do Open 4 have jumped from Sr. 2. The tumbling is harder, but the stunting isn't crazy hard to pick up for an adult, provided you're in good shape. And be willing to work

This was my last season as a senior so I am trying out for my gyms io6 team, and I'm terrified! Last year, I'm pretty sure there were about 50 athletes trying out for the team, and I dont doubt the number will go up this year! If I don't make the team, my cheer career will officially be over and im not prepared for that to happen yet :(

I'm also thinking of trying out for Gravies! I keep putting it off because I've been really involved with university cheer, but this would most certainly be the year for me to do it.

I'm excited because we aren't stressed about tryouts. LOL We are staying at our gym. We love it here and it is our home. When my oldest CP first started AS cheer we were at gym A thought we'd stay but it imploded on itself at the beginning of season 2 so we moved to gym B which then at the end of the season a bunch of coaches left and opened their own gym so the remaining part of the program was bought out by our current gym. It just seemed like so much change in those first few years I thought this is so not for me. But now we are doing tryouts at our current program for the 3 rd season in a row and it is nice not to have all that change.

We are also super excited that hopefully we won't have team changes for my 2. My oldest has been on the Senior COed R5 for 2 seasons already and that is the highest team we have in our gym at the current time. So she will be staying there although we maybe making a switch to all girl this year. But I'm excited about that change. And my younger CP is only 6 and she cheered Prep Mini 1 this year and so she will stay down on that little team.

y'all probably won't believe this but we will stay at stars vipers lol :) she wants a youth 4 or junior 4, or junior restricted 5. whatever we end up having she wants that. She said if we don't have those she doesn't really want to be on senior 4 but she would still be happy but she said she doesn't want to be stressed out on royal cobras (currently our senior restricted 5-but i heard talk of it maybe becoming a worlds team also) and she would rather stay on Y3 because it is the most fun team she has ever been on!

We are definitely staying at our new gym- so please keep feeding me the Kool Aid ;)

I think that CP might be moving up to level 2 (either Y2 or J2) , but she recently she has been getting nervous about Evals and balking her new skills needed for that level. I think that we are going to pull back from most, if not all of the tryout clinics, and just do her privates for next week. The coaches know how to keep her calm and I am hoping that the privates will keep her confidence high, and that this setback is just temporary. If you know my kid's history, you would understand why I am a little nervous. She has grown so much this season and is happy again. I don't want tryouts to erase that for her.

ETA- she doesn't want to fly anymore. She is excited to base again. So, if the coaches are onboard with the switch (which they probably aresince there is an abundance of young talented flyers at the gym), I am guessing she will be placed on youth.

Last edited:
After a 2 1/2 year break from cheer I will be trying out at my old gym! I'm hoping to make senior 2 (the team I was on before).
I'm going to be spending the next few weeks building up my fitness, familiarising myself with technique and working on my tumbling.

So excited to be getting back out onto the competition mat!

Cp is trying out at CA Columbus. So the nerves are high bc she doesn't know what to expect or what teams will even be available. Flyer tryouts a week from today and regular tryouts next Friday and Saturday. I will be thankful when it's over and she knows what team she is on. She is incredibly excited though! Especially after watching all of CA's success at Worlds and I'm sure she will be even more when she watches CA at Summit this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't you mean "CA CLAWlumbus" ;)
Lol good luck to your CP.

y'all probably won't believe this but we will stay at stars vipers lol :) she wants a youth 4 or junior 4, or junior restricted 5. whatever we end up having she wants that. She said if we don't have those she doesn't really want to be on senior 4 but she would still be happy but she said she doesn't want to be stressed out on royal cobras (currently our senior restricted 5-but i heard talk of it maybe becoming a worlds team also) and she would rather stay on Y3 because it is the most fun team she has ever been on!
I think I would die of happiness if royal Cobras were to be a worlds team

Back