All-Star Tumbling Again After An Injury?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2015
I sprained my ankle last Monday and when I went to the doctor, they told me not to tumble for a week. I tried doing a few things today to see if it would hurt, so all I did was a frontwalkover and a round off, and I had some mild pain when I did both of them. Should I wait longer to tumble again, or just wait to do higher level skills, but start doing things like back handsprings and tucks again, or should I just try to throw all of my tumbling again?

Talk to your doctor. If you're still in pain, I'd definitely take it as your body telling you to stop unless your doctor clears you with a new set of x-rays.

I'm not a doctor, but I've sprained my ankle twice and broken it all times by tumbling. Don't rush things. If you're an all star cheerleader, you still have a long season left. My doctor always told me to wait for no pain. He pretty much said, if it hurts, you're at risk of injuring it again, or injuring something else, because the pain will cause you to do things in strange ways, like landing with more weight in your good leg.

I understand wanting to jump right back in, but your team needs you healthy and at 100% and it's not worth jumping back in too fast. Your doctor said wait a week, but if it still hurts, maybe you should go see him/her again as others have said.

I've sprained my ankle three times, and each time it took between 5-8 weeks to heal. And the last two times were with me doing PT five days a week for an hour each time. Please don't rush it. Take your time and let your body heal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughters' orthopedist always said they were ready to return from an ankle injury (and they've had their share) when they could hop comfortably on the injured foot without any pain. And not once or twice - more like 20-30 times in a row.
If you are still feeling any kind of discomfort, I would speak to your doctor again before throwing any more tumbling.

Any pain is a sign that something is not right....................let it heal fully by choosing to take a break now, or you may be forced take a break, maybe a long one, when competition season is strong. But always follow Drs orders of course.
After my daughters injuries a couple years ago, she was cleared in August but did not tumble fully until 3 months later and she did the whole season injury free.

I was a dancer for 20 years and had my share of ankle injuries. While I still think you should consult your doctor, I will say that if you have never hurt an ankle before it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between post injury stiffness and actual pain the first couple of times you try to really use the ankle, particularly if you have been in a boot or anything else that limits mobility. Stretching regularly for a couple of days before you plan on getting back to activity can help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back