All-Star Worlds 2016 Day 3 Updates (monday)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It took me a hot minute to realize who all was in that stunt group, but when I did I cried for her. Top girl was my baby on senior 4 in 2013 and it's been amazing watching her grow up and blossom in this sport.
Lots of experience in that group who were able to make sure she was the priority. LOVED that they recovered like they did and finished perfectly! Maybe that was what had to happen to light their fire for day 2

im 100%... positive he knew what he was doing when he thought out and wrote this tweet :

bsb.jpg

trying to get people to take the bait :rolleyes:.
I know the boy who wrote the original tweet...he is originally from Delaware, but moved to Florida around the age of 11/12 and has cheered in Florida ever since...People just love to start pointless drama

Incorrect, he did not touch the flyer, and could have made things worse. Luckily those girls have a tremendous amount of experience and were able to recover without missing a beat and finished the pyramid without more issues. UCA and Worlds are the only 2 places we saw spotters this year. I get that they are doing their jobs, but not everyone wants or needs them. These teams do not use them during the hundreds of run throughs during the season. I'm grateful that nothing worse happened. I heard other reports of over zealous spotters during the weekend, although it could be rumors and since I did not see anything else, I am only commenting on our personal experience.

My husband had to ask me what the guys in black were doing at the back of the mats---that was when I showed him Captain Diveroll. He commented that it seemed really unsafe to have guys just show up randomly when they don't know what is doing on---after watching some of their 'saves' I would kind of agree with him.

Incorrect, he did not touch the flyer, and could have made things worse. Luckily those girls have a tremendous amount of experience and were able to recover without missing a beat and finished the pyramid without more issues. UCA and Worlds are the only 2 places we saw spotters this year. I get that they are doing their jobs, but not everyone wants or needs them. These teams do not use them during the hundreds of run throughs during the season. I'm grateful that nothing worse happened. I heard other reports of over zealous spotters during the weekend, although it could be rumors and since I did not see anything else, I am only commenting on our personal experience.

Do you think that spotters should be optional? The coaches could sign a waiver stating that they do not want spotters on the mat. I see where you are coming from. At practice, I highly doubt any teams practice having 3 guys standing in the back around their stunts. And, with the innovative choreography that has been growing, it's very hard for a spotter to predict what is going to happen next- moving stunts, tumbling out of stunts, sudden inversions that look like falls etc.

Do you think that spotters should be optional? The coaches could sign a waiver stating that they do not want spotters on the mat. I see where you are coming from. At practice, I highly doubt any teams practice having 3 guys standing in the back around their stunts. And, with the innovative choreography that has been growing, it's very hard for a spotter to predict what is going to happen next- moving stunts, tumbling out of stunts, sudden inversions that look like falls etc.
I could be wrong, but I feel like there used to be a competition that allowed coaches to choose whether or not to have spotters? I would bet it has something to do with insurance.

I could be wrong, but I feel like there used to be a competition that allowed coaches to choose whether or not to have spotters? I would bet it has something to do with insurance.
I know that Jamz still allows you to choose

Thanks, I was about to ask for that video too.

I'm not a fan of spotters, though I suppose it's good that they're there when they do catch someone. But personally, I've found them more in the way usually. And they're distracting at times. I'll be watching for them, and occasionally talk to them when I can. I'll tell them to skip my group and go one over if it's the shakier stunt, or I'll tell them the stunt/where we're moving so they stay out of the way. But I hate that I'm thinking about that on the mat in addition to our performance.

There was definitely a routine this weekend where a spotter got in the way of someones tumbling pass so they didn't throw it. There were two pyramid structures and someone was tumbling from front center to the back and the spotter was in the way. I want to say it was Cali Reckless day one?

at 2:08. Not quite a dive roll... But he rolled.:

Clearly he was the only one even trying to catch the flyer though. Yes the group was fighting to keep it up, but they weren't exactly diving under her to keep her from hitting the ground. That flyer hit pretty hard and caught herself by her leg jabbing into the ground and then fell to her butt. Even my lower level kids learn that at a certain point the stunt is not savable (ie the flyers body horizontal to the ground just isn't going to be saved) and that you let go of the foot to catch. I find it hard to believe level 5 kids don't know how to judge if it's savable or not. I don't see how the spotter could have interfered with the group or messed them up. They went on to do a prep, how could a spotter distract from a prep? A level 5 base could do a prep with one hand and their eyes shut, a spotter that isn't even close to your group really shouldn't effect it either way. I just don't get why people are upset that he was trying to save her.

Are spotters necessary? IMO not really. I do think it's dangerous to be on the floor in such large divisions in a routine they've never seen. I'm still going back to it must be insurance reasons that varsity still keeps them. Or maybe it's Disney?

ETA not directed at you, just using your post to continue off of since it has the video.

Back