All-Star Worlds 2016 Day 3 Updates (monday)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you think that spotters should be optional? The coaches could sign a waiver stating that they do not want spotters on the mat. I see where you are coming from. At practice, I highly doubt any teams practice having 3 guys standing in the back around their stunts. And, with the innovative choreography that has been growing, it's very hard for a spotter to predict what is going to happen next- moving stunts, tumbling out of stunts, sudden inversions that look like falls etc.
I do believe they should be optional, especially for the more advanced/older teams.

Is it perhaps liability issue? Does the USASF's lawyers believe that they will be exposed to tort if they do not have spotters and there is an injury? It may not have anything to do with cheerleading at all.

In regards to the spotters, be careful what you wish for..

Since its already been stated USASF probably isnt doing in regards to 2016 Matgate, What if we run into the same problem again with a wet floor and something catastrophic happens and there is no spotter? hmm.

In regards to the spotters, be careful what you wish for..

Since its already been stated USASF probably isnt doing in regards to 2016 Matgate, What if we run into the same problem again with a wet floor and something catastrophic happens and there is no spotter? hmm.
Is still rather have no spotters than someone else up on the mat that is potentially in the way or making the athletes feel as if they can't move a certain way because someone may be in the way.

If they want to require spotters for everyone (and insurance policies may require it at events?), I think the gym should be allowed to supply them. Throw a polo on an assistant coach or athlete from another team within the gym who knows the routine and knows what to stay out of the way of.

That'd be a lovely compromise.

If they want to require spotters for everyone (and insurance policies may require it at events?), I think the gym should be allowed to supply them. Throw a polo on an assistant coach or athlete from another team within the gym who knows the routine and knows what to stay out of the way of.

i could see people seeing this somehow as an unfair advantage, although its a nice idea.

Black ops getting fourth =
c3d99cf39179304b1d4e75ce10dd4b3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what UCA do for the partner stunt competition.

This is what we do in Europe. Some teams uses their coaches/athletes from other teams for spotters

i could see people seeing this somehow as an unfair advantage, although its a nice idea.
You would have to make it a deduction if the spotter has to touch any of the stunts or tumblers. That would keep the spotters from "saving" a stunt by putting a hand on it or "catching" and tumbler from falling. That would be a deduction.

If the stunts already falling and your already getting the deduction than catch her.

I think that's a reasonable compromise. At our gym, we frequently have boys from our open team spotting our level 5 or other teams in warm ups or at practice. At least they know the routine.

I wonder what kind of liability would occur if USASF required and supplied spotters (staff) who knew the mat was wet and did nothing to notify the proper people/stop the competition. That speaks to negligence right there, IMHO, and could set them up for a nice lawsuit if someone were to get injured.

You would have to make it a deduction if the spotter has to touch any of the stunts or tumblers. That would keep the spotters from "saving" a stunt by putting a hand on it or "catching" and tumbler from falling. That would be a deduction.

If the stunts already falling and your already getting the deduction than catch her.
Way back when....

All events had to supply spotters. Then they started requiring you to supply your own. Then it became optional. Soon no one had them ever.

And it was a deduction if they touched the stunt in any way except to assist in catching a fall.

If they want to require spotters for everyone (and insurance policies may require it at events?), I think the gym should be allowed to supply them. Throw a polo on an assistant coach or athlete from another team within the gym who knows the routine and knows what to stay out of the way of.That'd be a lovely compromise.
I like the idea of gyms having their own. I think the fair vs unfair thing would definitely be an issue... we all know how people can be. Then you run into the small gym or the international team that only has 1 team and 1 or 2 coaches total with them. Then who spots?

If we're going the route of spotters are required, then USASF could have spotters that stay with each team. You go into warm-ups and there are spotters on the mat. This is their chance to become familiar enough with the routine. They follow you to the competition stage and after head back up to warm-ups to meet their next team. They would require more spotters so that each team had a set, and logistically it would take some time to figure out all the moving parts. At least it's better than 3 guys who are half zoned out standing on a mat with up to 36 athletes tumbling and stunting in all directions.

Back