All-Star Would You Send Your Child To A Gym Where The Head Coach Had No Personal Cheer Experience?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Would you send your kid to a gym where the owner had no personal cheer experience?

• Yes!

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • No!

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • Maybe, if...

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our coaches, many of whom have 10 or more years experience and all of whom are certified, go to training about 4 times a year and always come back with something new to apply in the gym. Believe it or not, there is constant research going on into training techniques and injury prevention. Even seasoned veterans can get something out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is the training provided by the gym, or by their own volition? I've never had to go to training at my gym, or even a retreat or anything like that.

By the gym. They travel to conferences put on by a couple of different organizations that I know of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know a lot of gyms do retreats and things for the coaches for brainstorming and choreography. It makes sense they'd do it to stay on top of the game too.

To respond to the original question:

Having been involved in cheer for 4 years now, I don't think I would send CP to a gym where the owner had no cheer experience (unless they handled the business end and had a co-owner who handled the cheer end). However, many people join a gym not knowing the background of the owners. The owner may say one thing ("we went to Worlds five years in a row!!!") but not be able to bear it out in how they run the gym.

In my opinion, an owner having credible experience in both cheer and business would be ideal.

To respond to the original question:

Having been involved in cheer for 4 years now, I don't think I would send CP to a gym where the owner had no cheer experience (unless they handled the business end and had a co-owner who handled the cheer end). However, many people join a gym not knowing the background of the owners. The owner may say one thing ("we went to Worlds five years in a row!!!") but not be able to bear it out in how they run the gym.

In my opinion, an owner having credible experience in both cheer and business would be ideal.

This is also so so so important. Not only business minded and experienced, but good with communication as well. I cheered for years, and I have no idea what certifications my coaches had, but I certainly would be looking into that before I enroll my daughter in a program if she chooses to go that route. Thankfully, I have about 2-3 years to keep researching. This being said, I know several of the gym owners in my surrounding areas, and worked under them personally when I was growing up, and still would probably put her somewhere that had certifications over someone I knew unless I didn't like their coaching style.

CPR certification is also a must for my daughter's future coaches.

I've worked for/along side several coaches, and the ones that I know I will never take my daughter to are the ones who refuse to have the help they could use (coaching/business/communication wise) and think they're above any type of certification or help because they've been around for so long and have a client base built up, even if they are one of the best in the business (speaking from personal experience).

``the ones who refuse to have the help they could use (coaching/business/communication wise) and think they're above any type of certification or help``

Yes x a million. That`s a big reason why I left our previous gym. It`s pure arrogance.

I'll second everyone who said that not every former cheerleader makes a great coach.

You can have 3 Worlds rings and more jackets than you can shake a stick at, and not know the first thing about motivating/leading athletes.
You are 100% correct, but by the same turn you can be an amazing motivator/leader with zero cheer experience and fail horribly as a cheer coach too.

There has to be a balance of both there.

You are 100% correct, but by the same turn you can be an amazing motivator/leader with zero cheer experience and fail horribly as a cheer coach too.

There has to be a balance of both there.

Yep.

I also think you have to know when you don't have that, and need to bring someone in.

Ex: As a HS coach, I have cheer experience and coaching experience. However, I am NOT the greatest choreographer. I would be doing my kids a disservice if I insisted on choreographing their routines because I have cheer experience and am too arrogant to let someone help me.

Back