All-Star Young Crossovers!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At recent competitions i've been to, i always see crossovers too. There is this one particular gym i always watch and half of there level 5 teams are on level 2 ! I dont understand why they would do this. It is quite unfair to the teams that only have level 2 athletes on and not level 5 athletes. Perhaps they just do this to win? But i dont understamnd why.This gym is very talented all around you dont need that many crossovers! This one girl on that gym is on FOUR different teams. 3 consist of level 5 teams then on a level 2. And she is only 12 years old!

FOUR TEAMS?!?! Wow. I know a girl that does 3 and I feel like even that's a little too much. And level 5's? Oh my gosh. I can not believe that.

Not really commenting on the original subject, but to comment on WCDad's post, one thing that Ultimate Athletics incorporated this season is mandatory CrossFit training for all teams, from Minis up to Seniors. It is part of the weekly practice schedule for the kids. I think this has been a wonderful addition to the program for exactly the reasons that you said in your post regarding the repetitive pounding and demand that this sport puts on our kids' bodies. They do a lot of core training and conditioning, and all around training to strenghten their bodies as a whole.

I am glad to hear this, the benefits will be long lasting for years to come.

I was a crossover last year from senior 4 to senior 2, i feel that it helped my being on 2 teams, its double the work and it helped build my stamina. i regret not crossing over this year because its tougher to get through the one routine. as for it being younger girls i think as long as their mature enough and have the proper skills i think on a small gym team it helps out a lot!

At recent competitions i've been to, i always see crossovers too. There is this one particular gym i always watch and half of there level 5 teams are on level 2 ! I dont understand why they would do this. It is quite unfair to the teams that only have level 2 athletes on and not level 5 athletes. Perhaps they just do this to win? But i dont understamnd why.This gym is very talented all around you dont need that many crossovers! This one girl on that gym is on FOUR different teams. 3 consist of level 5 teams then on a level 2. And she is only 12 years old!

I have to say, I'd be a little worried about the priorities of any coach that would allow a kid to compete on four teams. That, to me, doesn't seem like they have much concern for the athlete's well being.

Two is okay, three is pushing it and maybe only should be for really exceptionally trained and healthy kids, but four seems unsafe for anyone. Guess that's just my opinion.

I'm not a fan of 12-year-olds on senior teams in general, regardless of whether they're also competing on other teams. I just think the age gap between an 12-year-old and a 16 or 17-year-old is a little steep.

I do know athletes in our gym that compete on multiple teams, but I'm not sure any of them are under 13. Don't know if that's by chance or if it's a hard and fast program rule.

Small gyms rely on crossovers to survive. I do think this can be abused and should be monitered closely. My kids double team but only practice once a week where I've seen and known other kids who double team and practice 3-4 times a week. I believe there are several factors that go in to determining whether or not a child should be allowed to double team. Ultimately it is up to us parents to look out for our children.

Back