1 Handed Back/front Walkovers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

rdavis4

Cheer Parent
Oct 12, 2015
Is there a purpose behind learning this? I have seen several tiny/mini teams teaching this or doing it in a routine and I was just wondering :) I know at our gym, they start having kids do 1 handed bhs...with the purpose being when they are ready for tuck it should be easier (I think). But I can't figure out why the one hand for fwo/bwo.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a one-handed BHS has no factor in learning a back tuck. The set for a BHS and a tuck are two very different things and using one hand versus two does not change that.

I don't really see a purpose for cheer tumbling to teach a one-arm tumbling but I allow my mini's to do it because they have fun with it and it's allowed in Level 1 now and I'm sure it minorly helps creativity/difficulty.

Personally, it scares me. Due to a minor shoulder injury CP had decreased flexibility on one side and her BWO went crooked for a while. The coaches were very concerned and worked quickly to correct it because it created a risk of injury. I would think a one handed BWO would contribute to a flexibility difference between the 2 sides. I would also worry about the results of uneven weight distribution if the kid is found them all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is illegal....or atleast was. We had a girl on a youth team with a broken arm. She did one handed bwo and got a deduction. I don't recall the exact rule and it was 2 years ago but just sayin.

I thought this was illegal at one point? I thought level one teams had to have at least both hands on the mat for any tumbling skills? even if it is legal now I still don't agree with it being taught at such a young age.

1 handed BHS terrify me. There's so much force already going through both arms, and wrists aren't really made to take that kind of beating. I always foresee a slightly weird landing and broken bones everywhere.

I assume it gives a slight edge on creativity and maybe difficulty, but that's it.

It is illegal....or atleast was. We had a girl on a youth team with a broken arm. She did one handed bwo and got a deduction. I don't recall the exact rule and it was 2 years ago but just sayin.

They changed it this year - you no longer need to have two hands on the mat.

1 handed BHS terrify me. There's so much force already going through both arms, and wrists aren't really made to take that kind of beating. I always foresee a slightly weird landing and broken bones everywhere.
I could be totally wrong about our gym doing them at all! I know they don't do them in the routine. I just wondered why they would do that but not the one handed bwo/fwo. My CP saw a video of a tiny team doing it in their routine and wanted to try....I told her it didn't sound like a good idea and she agreed after she tried once haha!

I assume it gives a slight edge on creativity and maybe difficulty, but that's it.

The only thing I see being taught in our gym is 1 handed cartwheels and those are in our routine (not full team, only a section of kids). No clue how it scores though. That said, 1 handed BWO/FWO/BHS would be a no go for me---way too much stress on the body with little reward/purpose and the set up for a BHS is nothing like a set for a tuck so it defeats the purpose.

My daughter loves doing 1 handed bhs on the tramp. I made her stop because I feel it is an injury waiting to happen. Scares the Crapola out of me!

Question: if a downward gravitational force of 3x your bodyweight passes through your wrists when you throw a 2-handed BHS, does that same amount of force pass's through the wrists in a 1-handed BHS, or is it double that?

Funny because I saw my daughter do a one handed FWO today. I know it's not a skill they learned or utilized. Then I come here and there's a question about it lol

My daughter and her friend have done one handed FWO holding hands, just for fun. THere's no way her coaches would ever approve of that, though!

Back