1 Handed Back/front Walkovers

Discussion in 'Skills' started by rdavis4, Mar 16, 2016.

1. rdavis4

rdavis4 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Is there a purpose behind learning this? I have seen several tiny/mini teams teaching this or doing it in a routine and I was just wondering :) I know at our gym, they start having kids do 1 handed bhs...with the purpose being when they are ready for tuck it should be easier (I think). But I can't figure out why the one hand for fwo/bwo.

2. DaniV

DaniV There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    danivav
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a one-handed BHS has no factor in learning a back tuck. The set for a BHS and a tuck are two very different things and using one hand versus two does not change that.

I don't really see a purpose for cheer tumbling to teach a one-arm tumbling but I allow my mini's to do it because they have fun with it and it's allowed in Level 1 now and I'm sure it minorly helps creativity/difficulty.

3. cheer25mom

cheer25mom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Personally, it scares me. Due to a minor shoulder injury CP had decreased flexibility on one side and her BWO went crooked for a while. The coaches were very concerned and worked quickly to correct it because it created a risk of injury. I would think a one handed BWO would contribute to a flexibility difference between the 2 sides. I would also worry about the results of uneven weight distribution if the kid is found them all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Shimmy Shimmy x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Michael White

Michael White I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I too would worry about the stresses this puts on a developing athlete's body. As a one handed back handspring/walkover provides no advantage, I see no point in eliminating the balance and strength that two arms brings.

5. rdavis4

rdavis4 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Makes sense! Thanks for the replies! Still so much to learn!

6. stormy

stormy I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It is illegal....or atleast was. We had a girl on a youth team with a broken arm. She did one handed bwo and got a deduction. I don't recall the exact rule and it was 2 years ago but just sayin.

7. dance_extreme_94

dance_extreme_94 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I thought this was illegal at one point? I thought level one teams had to have at least both hands on the mat for any tumbling skills? even if it is legal now I still don't agree with it being taught at such a young age.

8. WinstonsGirl

WinstonsGirl I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    1 handed BHS terrify me. There's so much force already going through both arms, and wrists aren't really made to take that kind of beating. I always foresee a slightly weird landing and broken bones everywhere.

I assume it gives a slight edge on creativity and maybe difficulty, but that's it.

9. DaniV

DaniV There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    danivav
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    They changed it this year - you no longer need to have two hands on the mat.

10. rdavis4

rdavis4 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

11. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The only thing I see being taught in our gym is 1 handed cartwheels and those are in our routine (not full team, only a section of kids). No clue how it scores though. That said, 1 handed BWO/FWO/BHS would be a no go for me---way too much stress on the body with little reward/purpose and the set up for a BHS is nothing like a set for a tuck so it defeats the purpose.

12. Aunie

Aunie They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My daughter loves doing 1 handed bhs on the tramp. I made her stop because I feel it is an injury waiting to happen. Scares the Crapola out of me!

13. Official OWECheer

Official OWECheer Most likely to post anywhere

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    OWECheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Question: if a downward gravitational force of 3x your bodyweight passes through your wrists when you throw a 2-handed BHS, does that same amount of force pass's through the wrists in a 1-handed BHS, or is it double that?

14. MommaBear

MommaBear They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Funny because I saw my daughter do a one handed FWO today. I know it's not a skill they learned or utilized. Then I come here and there's a question about it lol

15. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My daughter and her friend have done one handed FWO holding hands, just for fun. THere's no way her coaches would ever approve of that, though!