All-Star 10 Things To Leave In 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Guys.

1. That invert/handstand pop up has to go. It's time. Half of the time the stunt doesn't snap into place and it looks crazycakes under it trying to get it stable.

2. Not. fully. pulling. your. body. position. before. you. double. down. Stop playing. We see you. Those are not scales. (*pulls out Stratocaster pen like John Madden*)

Guys.

1. That invert/handstand pop up has to go. It's time. Half of the time the stunt doesn't snap into place and it looks crazycakes under it trying to get it stable.

2. Not. fully. pulling. your. body. position. before. you. double. down. Stop playing. We see you. Those are not scales. (*pulls out Stratocaster pen like John Madden*)

Lmaooooo! You feel my pain too. Yes! All of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys.

ITA
#1 Has gotten so old
#2 Nailed it. Cheer gyms should seriously start REQUIRING Flyers to take a flyer/stunt class. First, yes I am well aware that it is a team and it is the team that has to hit but let's just say it the flyers are the spotlights of the routine which is why cheer gyms should REQUIRE the flyers to take a flyer/stunt class to be sure that they are able to pull their positions with proper technique. Yes, that would probably mean paying a little bit more but if your CP is a flyer and both you and your athlete are serious about nurturing your CP to be the best that they can be chances are you are already spending extra time and money on additional training anyway. Now, this can also be addressed due to the lack of progression or not focusing on the basics and technique that starts at the foundation a/k/a Level 1. Just like you expect straight leg back walkovers and cartwheels at Level 1 the future "elite" flyers should have the same dedication to technique from Level 1 as well thus it has to be taught via special training for that skill set. JS

The lack of transparency kills me! My CP has been cheering for 8 years and the difference in how the comps are run now compared with when we started is so disappointing. I remember the excitement of seeing scores after day 1 and knowing how close (or far) you were to 1st. Or knowing your competition is a tenth of a point below you and you better kill it on the mat on day 2 to hold on to your lead. Try explaining the judging and results to someone not in the cheer world. Holy confusion batman! I try to compare with gymnastics, ice skating, or dance, other sports that are subjective for judging, but at least those sports have transparency with scores. Throw in all the yearly changes and different score sheets for different comps and it's nearly impossible to explain to outsiders that this sport makes sense. It's very frustrating!

Guys.

Unfortunately with the inversion you mention in #1 being an elite skill...it will not go away. I totally agree that they generally are not executed well and visually boring to watch with the exception of a few teams who are making the entrance in to the inversion really really unique. This is one of the reasons that I don't love the elite skill requirement, it pushes compulsory skills too much and takes away the creativity/invention of new stuff.

The lack of transparency kills me! My CP has been cheering for 8 years and the difference in how the comps are run now compared with when we started is so disappointing. I remember the excitement of seeing scores after day 1 and knowing how close (or far) you were to 1st. Or knowing your competition is a tenth of a point below you and you better kill it on the mat on day 2 to hold on to your lead. Try explaining the judging and results to someone not in the cheer world. Holy confusion batman! I try to compare with gymnastics, ice skating, or dance, other sports that are subjective for judging, but at least those sports have transparency with scores. Throw in all the yearly changes and different score sheets for different comps and it's nearly impossible to explain to outsiders that this sport makes sense. It's very frustrating!

Unfortunately the people in charge/on top don’t want to be compared to successful sports such as gymnastics and ice skating. It’s very frustrating. I listen to it year after year.

Unfortunately the people in charge/on top don’t want to be compared to successful sports such as gymnastics and ice skating. It’s very frustrating. I listen to it year after year.

ice skating isn't all world peace either... i watched the european men semi finals i believe, and a russian boy had 2 major mistakes ,yet his presentation/performance score was still higher than it should have been according to the reporter, when they compared it to someone without a 4x jump but flawless execution in his routine.

Especially when an EP agrees with a coach that " yes you were judged wrong but we can't change it because judges will look bad"!!'

Back