All-Star [12/14 - 12/14] Gssa Championships & Super Six - San Jose, Ca (world's Bids)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to admit that I love to watch my child's team perform and bear witness to their accomplishments as every parent does. But, I also feel that life is full of teaching opportunities. Children view adult's behavior and use that knowledge in their assessment of what is acceptable behavior for themselves. As much as I deserve to see my child perform (I buy my event ticket, pay my tuition etc.) ,it is not worth reducing myself to a child's level in some petty push and shove exercise in the spectator area. To be frank I feel this wouldn't even be an issue except for the fact that individuals feel entitled to reserve sections of seating within a venue for their specific gym. Then the seats sit there empty 90 percent of the time while others remain unable to locate decent seating. Besides, I feel it's very bold to blame a program for a spectator's poor manners. As a parent I feel responsibility to teach my child manners. If my child behaves poorly it isn't the fault of her gym or her coach. And if the core values of her gym differ from my own value system it is my responsibility to remove her from that environment.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Despite this negativity, I'd like to say something positive. This weekend we competed against Nor Cal Elite. They performed well day one and it was apparent they were one the top teams in our division. This is of course a competition and thus things can get intense between teams. But, rather than getting "mean girl" Nor Cal Elite exemplified the ultimate good sportsmanship. In warm-ups they even cheered on their competitors. It wasn't a fake show put on for others to see but rather genuine support being shown for fellow cheerleaders. Nor Cal Elite left such a positive impression on people witnessing their behavior and set such a good example for others. So, Kudos to Nor Cal Elite and their staff for remembering what's really important in this game and for reminding all of us how far a little kindness can go.

Being a Cali athlete, I can say right now that all of the coaches stress respect and friendliness. For you to generalize the whole program is very unfair. I'm not saying that there weren't some Cali fans or athletes that may have been rude or disrespectful, but they weren't the only ones. I cannot tell you how many rude parents, fans, and athletes I encountered this past weekend from other programs. All I ask is that you respect programs by not going on a public forum and bashing them.

Despite this negativity, I'd like to say something positive. This weekend we competed against Nor Cal Elite. They performed well day one and it was apparent they were one the top teams in our division. This is of course a competition and thus things can get intense between teams. But, rather than getting "mean girl" Nor Cal Elite exemplified the ultimate good sportsmanship. In warm-ups they even cheered on their competitors. It wasn't a fake show put on for others to see but rather genuine support being shown for fellow cheerleaders. Nor Cal Elite left such a positive impression on people witnessing their behavior and set such a good example for others. So, Kudos to Nor Cal Elite and their staff for remembering what's really important in this game and for reminding all of us how far a little kindness can go.

This means a lot to I'm sure not just me but the rest of the program :) Thank you!

I guess I should have been more precise in my description of what happened...the spectators blocking and crowding the entrance were not adults or fans-they were Cali athletes in full uniform. The kids that ran us over to get to the front? Again, Cali athletes in Cali uniforms. The staff at the entrance of the viewing area? Didn't care less or even want 0r try to deal with it.

Sorry if people felt I was attacking but this kind of thing happened to us last year in southern California and its happened in northern California-both with Cali teams attending from many locations. Why should I have to fight to get into the viewing area to watch the kid that I spend a small fortune on?

I guess I should have been more precise in my description of what happened...the spectators blocking and crowding the entrance were not adults or fans-they were Cali athletes in full uniform. The kids that ran us over to get to the front? Again, Cali athletes in Cali uniforms. The staff at the entrance of the viewing area? Didn't care less or even want 0r try to deal with it.

Sorry if people felt I was attacking but this kind of thing happened to us last year in southern California and its happened in northern California-both with Cali teams attending from many locations. Why should I have to fight to get into the viewing area to watch the kid that I spend a small fortune on?
They're kids, It's probably honest excitement for their teams. But maybe it's out of hand, and Maybe it's something that the coaches need to bring up. Either way, posting here isn't doing anything. If you have that much of problem with it, I'd suggest you email the gym (respectfully) about it and explain your experiences. I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss it with you and bring it up with the athletes if they need a reminder about how to compose themselves at competitions.

If CALI kids are pushing into the viewing area for a team that is not CALI, mention that fact to the GSSA staff. They will most definitely remove them from the area. I saw it occur this past weekend. That being said, the pushing and shoving should not have to be endured....no matter what gym is involved. I know for a fact that CALI kids are taught to be polite and treat others with respect. I for one, like the fact that CALI kids support each other with great enthusiasm but not at the expense of others. Unfortunately, this problem isn't exclusively a CALI problem. I agree with the suggestion of contacting a gym if you have what you consider to be a pervasive problem. You could also contact the event producer about better crowd control measures being put in place. These events are meant to be a pleasurable experience for everyone involved. Event producers want people attending their events. I'm genuinely sorry you had to experience this unfortunate side of competition. Hopefully the remainder of your competition season will pass without further incidence of this sort.

Back