1st Year Cheer Dad Is This Normal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Littlebear12 May I ask what part of the country you are in? Your story sounds VERY similar to the experience my family and many of my friends had at a certain program. If you aren't comfortable posting here, please feel free to message me.

ETA: If it is the same program, it won't do any good to talk to the coaches or the owners about anything, trust me.

Everything is bigger in Texas :)

I had a feeling you were in Texas; the good thing is, Texas is saturated with gyms so it should be no struggle to find another one in your area if your daughter decides to do this again next year.

I don't know the solid dates for the competitions. Last Sunday was an added comp apparently the EP was short teams so we went to fill out the show as it were. Are team took 1st y2, 1st overall level 2, and 1st over all levels for points. My CP finally has a jacket :). One of the mom heard we were in this smaller comp to give the girls and the parents a win. I am fine with it. The girls coach let the girl know not to let this win go to their heads, She told them if this was a big comp they would not have won. We had dinner with one of the teams CP mom who has been in cheer for the past 3 seasons. She had a lot to say about the poor performance of the gym as a hole. I was wrong we are a small gym. Strangely the San Antonio comp had us competing as a large gym.

One final question.
We have 2 competitions left, the big one in Chicago April 9-10th and a local one March 26th. The last minute change from Orlando to Chicago created a conflict with my CP Daddy Daughter Dance and my CP decided she wants to go to the dance. This is her last Daddy Daughter dance and she has been planning it for awhile. She wants to wear the dress we had custom made for the event. So here is my question. Should we go to the March 26 comp or offer to remove my CP from the team now so they can rework the routine and have time to preform it March 26 in preparation for April 9th. My CP handed me her cheer costume last night to clean with the desire to give it back on Tuesday at practice. I am willing to stay though March and go to the March 26 comp. I would like to do what is best for the team and my CP has said the same.

I would like to thank all the kind people on this board for thier help.
We will be looking at other gyms soon and will not be competing next season. Taking a year off to spend time on our 2 sons activities (spread the love and wealth as it were). Our plans are now to focus on elite tumbling, and stunting with an eye toward sideline cheer in middle school.

You have been wonderful.

Thanks again.

Confused Cheer Dad
Were you at the San Antonio cheer competition for Cheerpower nationals 2 weekends ago?

If you weren't large gym and y'all competed large gym I bet that was really hard! Hopefully your experience gets better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
yes we were, and it was hard :)
We were there as well, and in the y2 division also! I'm sorry for what you are going through with your gym, I promise all gyms aren't like that! I hope you find a new gym for another chance at what could be a great experience!

We were there as well, and in the y2 division also! I'm sorry for what you are going through with your gym, I promise all gyms aren't like that! I hope you find a new gym for another chance at what could be a great experience!

We were completely out classed in that competition. I did manage to pick correctly the 3 top teams in y2. They were wonderful.

Let me start off by saying you sound like a normal first time cheer dad so dont worry it will grow on you lol. But yes its normal to change the rountine in parts weekly. We changed out routine this week because we needed more difficulty. However whether its helping or hurting your team i cant say. Were you winning 1st and 2nd and competitions that were as big as the competitions where you scored 7th and 8th? Hair and Make up is important in the cheer world. it makes you look unified and complete. But as a cheer coach and pageant mom that part is very pageanty but i love it! 2 day competitions should be fun but we dont allow our kids to swim the day of a competition it wears your muscles out. Now the freezing your kids outside sounds crazy to me. we always wear warm ups to a venue but i also would alwways be with my daughter to take her warm up once she took it off.

We weren't planning on talking to them the day of the competition. Rather a day or two after.
At practice today the girls were told there were 3-5 who would be kicked off the team after this competition. So we may not need to worry about ANY talking. :)
OMG sorry I just got in on this. This is insane. Are they going to refund you a portion of the money you have spent. Some gyms are like this with their older girls and higher level teams. But a team of this level and age. No. That`s stupid. These are just little girls. In AS cheer missing a competition is frowned upon. And it sucks for the other girls and boys who have worked so hard to have to replace someone especially at that age. When the survey came out yall should of informed the gym ahead of time in the event that you choose this date we will not be attending. If they still chose it, then that's their fault. But regardless the way this coach is handling this team is out of line and they have no business with little girls. If they are going to coach they need to stick with older more advanced girls. I don't know where you live but I guarantee their are people on here that can point you in the direction of a gym more suited to you and your family.If you daughter likes it here and the way its run leave her. But if not id try somewhere else before throwing in the towel.

Back