All-Star 2012-2013 Changes To The Usasf Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 13, 2009
I didn't see any postings on it yet but whatre your thoughts?

The USASF and IASF has released the Age Grids for 2012-13. Noted Changes to the USASF version include:
  • Youth L5 and Youth Restricted have been combined.
  • Junior Coed is only listed for L5.
  • Senior L1-4.2 have a minimum age of 10. Senior L5 remained at 12.
  • International L5 divisions now have a minimum age of 15, up from 14.
Open Level 4 (17 Years and Older, 1-15 Males, 5-24 Members)
An event producer must request a “waiver” from the USASF to offer this “trial” division for the 2012-13 season. This is a non-sanctioned division that does not count toward any Cheerleading Worlds bid. Event producers are requested to complete at USASF “waiver” to offer this division.

All Star Prep
An event producer must request a “waiver” from the USASF to offer “trial” divisions for the 2012-13 season. These are non-sanctioned divisions that do not count toward any Cheerleading Worlds bid. Event producers are requested to complete a USASF “waiver” to offer this division. The following criteria must be met in order to compete in these divisions:
  • Maximum routine length is 2 minutes
  • At any given event, an athlete may not crossover between teams competing in a standard division and teams competing in a ‘Prep’ division (and vice versa).
In addition to the criteria listed above, Event Producers may apply their own additional unique criteria when defining eligibility requirements for these divisions. Event Producers must declare what criteria they used to differentiate their ‘Prep’ divisions from the standard USASF divisions (ex: for half year teams, for teams not allowed to practice more than 2 hours a week).

Small Gyms
The USASF is still evaluating options to address the concerns of Small Gyms (75 athletes or less).

I actually love all of these changes. We're finally moving in the right direction.
I'm especially excited to see what happens with Open 4. I hope it becomes more than a trial division after a year.

All Star Prep - love that there is to be no crossovers from a standard division. HOWEVER, I totally doubt the EP will really follow through with the enforcement of this rule. I hope that they do, but seriously doubt it. I know 99% of coaches/gyms will be honest about it but there is always the 1% who think the rules don't apply to them or "it's ok if we don't get caught".

I will say this over and over and over again, but I really wish tiny division was 6 and under. A barely 6 year old often cannot hang in mini 1, especially if it is the first year and first all star experience. For those that can hang, great-keep them on minis. But there really needs to be a better option for younger ones.
Beyond that-loving Open 4. If there was a team around me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. My old body does not need to be trying to get my full back.

All Star Prep
An event producer must request a “waiver” from the USASF to offer “trial” divisions for the 2012-13 season. These are non-sanctioned divisions that do not count toward any Cheerleading Worlds bid. Event producers are requested to complete a USASF “waiver” to offer this division. The following criteria must be met in order to compete in these divisions:
  • Maximum routine length is 2 minutes
  • At any given event, an athlete may not crossover between teams competing in a standard division and teams competing in a ‘Prep’ division (and vice versa).
In addition to the criteria listed above, Event Producers may apply their own additional unique criteria when defining eligibility requirements for these divisions. Event Producers must declare what criteria they used to differentiate their ‘Prep’ divisions from the standard USASF divisions (ex: for half year teams, for teams not allowed to practice more than 2 hours a week).

Small Gyms
The USASF is still evaluating options to address the concerns of Small Gyms (75 athletes or less).

Ok, one more thing. Love the prep division. Last year we had a midseason team for the first time, and had a large mix of kids. The prep division allowed them to go to big competitions and not come in last place against full year teams. They LOVED it, parents loved it, and almost all joined the full year program this year. But, why 2 minutes? Why wouldn't they compete a normal routine?

Ok, one more thing. Love the prep division. Last year we had a midseason team for the first time, and had a large mix of kids. The prep division allowed them to go to big competitions and not come in last place against full year teams. They LOVED it, parents loved it, and almost all joined the full year program this year. But, why 2 minutes? Why wouldn't they compete a normal routine?

That's what I'm wondering, too. It's not like the scoresheets will be different for this division - they'll still have to do the same skills, just in less time. Strange.

Maybe because it could be a half year team or a team that practices less frequently, it's less skills they have to worry about. It's easier to perfect a routine that's 20% shorter? I dunno.

Maybe because it could be a half year team or a team that practices less frequently, it's less skills they have to worry about. It's easier to perfect a routine that's 20% shorter? I dunno.

I feel like I don't have enough time as it is now, I can't imagine cutting it shorter. Also, I feel like my midseason team needed MORE time... The routine wasn't as fast paced, and stunts went a lot slower. We didn't do near the maximum number of skills, and it was still slow. Kids that aren't used to flying need a whole lot more time to pull a scorp than an experienced kiddo. It's totally random to me.

I'm all for the age changes, but can sympathize with the handful of gyms that are severely affected by it. Love the Open 4 division and prep divisions, but I wish the rules were more defined, and I'm fine with doing away with jr coed 1-4. I do have an issue with the USASF "still evaluating options to address concerns of small gyms" given it is almost June. I don't know how you can publish an age grid and say "here are the new rules except if you are a small gym we don't have an answer for you yet". Does that mean USASF is going to make two rules for the same division?

The August 31 rule is also across the board again unlike last year with the International divisions being December (at worlds only). The way it reads I believe it is for everyone, including the non-US teams at worlds.

I feel like I don't have enough time as it is now, I can't imagine cutting it shorter. Also, I feel like my midseason team needed MORE time... The routine wasn't as fast paced, and stunts went a lot slower. We didn't do near the maximum number of skills, and it was still slow. Kids that aren't used to flying need a whole lot more time to pull a scorp than an experienced kiddo. It's totally random to me.

I guess if everyone is dealing with that limitation, then it's okay to not do a choreography heavy jumps section or 8 8-counts of dance. But I get what you're saying.

The August 31 rule is also across the board again unlike last year with the International divisions being December (at worlds only). The way it reads I believe it is for everyone, including the non-US teams at worlds.

Really? From the IASF rules (http://usasfrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IASF-Age-Grid-12-13A-Rev-5-17-12.pdf)

"The age of a competitor will be determined based on the date of birth falling during the "Year of the Competition." Example: A competitor turning 14 on December 31, 2013 will be eligible to compete at the 2013 Worlds in an International Open Level 5 Division.

ETA - I think the USASF age grid rules apply to only US teams or international teams wishing to compete in the "club" divisions.

ETA again (lol) - yep: "For non-U.S. teams choosing to compete in U.S. Club team divisions (i.e. Junior, Senior Coed, etc…), these teams must follow the U.S. Club restrictions listed below.
For non-U.S. teams competing in International divisions, please see the IASF AGE GRID for restrictions."

That was for last year, the rules released today highlighted in yellow the world "ALL" when talking about the cut off date. It said that non-US teams will have to wait for the IASF to release their updated rules, but I would think if the US teams have to follow it then the International teams will as well.

That was for last year, the rules released today highlighted in yellow the world "ALL" when talking about the cut off date. It said that non-US teams will have to wait for the IASF to release their updated rules, but I would think if the US teams have to follow it then the International teams will as well.

The link she posted was dated today for 12-13.

"International Open Cheer –
For non-U.S. teams competing in International divisions, please use the restrictions listed below.
For U.S. teams competing in International divisions, use the restrictions on the USASF Age Grid."

It sounds like they're saying IASF and USASF could have different age rules...

Back